MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old May 14th, 2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd123 View Post

Kind of like the 2 Singers who have to stick their finger in their ear to get on key and expect you, the KJ, to buy and set up a floor monitor when the other 28 Singers have no problem. Not going to happen...ever.

I used audio monitors for years as a musician. They are a standard part of any pro sound/stage setup. Keeping up with an audio monitor mix may be more than some folks want to deal with but it helps the singers stay in tune which makes the show sound better.

I have one place where I don't use an audio monitor because it is too small. I turn the mains in a little.

There are many different types of shows. If a Karaoke Host is getting paid on a regular basis, they must be doing something right.

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:39 PM

I sing first I make sure everything sounds good most of the time there is only one or two people to start cause i get here early and if someone turns in a slip I start. I do think its a good idea to take yourself out if the rotation gets big which I do all the time. I do get alot of requests to sing songs for someone so I don't always take myself out but it is a good idea.
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:18 PM

I start at the time the management has hired me for, whether there is anybody there with a slip or not.The one venue I do we start at 10PM and go until 2AM.Quite often, there is very few people until 11,so I will have some fun trying out some songs that I'd like to work on, and this gives the few that are there a chance to see that I'm not there to be "perfect" and it will even encourage some people to try it out, then they get more courage for when there are more people there, and what do you know, another regular singer has evolved.
Have fun or go home!!
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:30 PM

KJ's place

I personally don't run a karaoke show, i have a kj that worlds for me who does. I do a SHOW using the same type equipment and Hoster on both shows. Hoster is not only the best software for KJ"s, but also the best software for those who do shows. I have seen my show grow in the past six years that i can now travel performing my show 3-5 nights a week. Hoster gives a performer a program unmatched for a show. Now the KJ who runs my show is probably more talented than 99% of the Karaoke enthusiast, but only sings to break up the ongoing sap that most do in a row. He has the talent to turn a crowd around in one song, and can really perfom. I find this type show much more appealing than the ole herd 'em up, send through the shoot type of show. Having 40-50 singer rotations is not necessarily a good thing, nor is it alwasy appealing, because with that type of quanity at one place, quality has to suffer, especially when one has to really hurry at the end to get everyone a turn. But what entertains, works, no one can argue with that. I would like to hear more from Hoster users who are not Karaoke, but peromer based shows only.
muzicman144
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:41 PM

Sounds like you have fun too.
I agree that having 40-50 singer rotations is not always good.I used to do a show on the Coast where I had about 40 or 50 singers that would come out, and it was hard to fit them all in more than once in a night, and then the next week would tend to be slow because they told me theythought it would "be like last week".
I actually ended up getting an extra two nights in the same vanue, three nights in a row, Sun,Mon, and Tues. They were all good nights, and is still used to happen that most or all of the "regulars" would come out on the same night, but not as often.
I worked there for four straight years and only left because I moved out of town.
I left the show with some competant people, but after 6 months, there was no more Karaoke at that pub, and still to this day they do not run it.
When I travel back to the coast every 3 months or so, I go in there for dinner and the manager still asks me "when are you coming back?" I'll start karaoke if you come back.(But I won't move back to the coast unless someone pays me $150,00/yr plus incentives. Too **** busy there, I like my little 7000 person town.)
Old May 15th, 2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd123 View Post
I'm still ROTFLMAO.

It appears that karaoke koyote is the only one running a S H O W...not mindless, by the numbers, KARAOKE, and is why I get paid MORE than any other KJ in this city...because I have a SHOW...like KJ hosts used to run when Karaoke first came on the scene.

It's why the patrons KEEP COMING BACK, which is the difference between SUBSTANCE and APPERANCE.

I don't have time for any Singer who complains...no matter the reason.

Kind of like the 2 Singers who have to stick their finger in their ear to get on key and expect you, the KJ, to buy and set up a floor monitor when the other 28 Singers have no problem. Not going to happen...ever.

I'm just like "Other" businesses in that respect...if the majority of people aren't complaining; it's not worth fixing.
I don't try to make anyone happy but myself. I've tried to put together the system I want to sing on. When I KJ, I try to be the host that I would like to go see. This is for fun, and I try not to get too serious about it. I don't care if the lady or guy can't sing, as long as they are having fun... I thank them for coming up, and paying me the ultimate compliment... having a good time at my show.

The Karaoke Koyote
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildnights1 View Post

Have fun or go home!!
Here Here!!!

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Blocked From MTU.Community

Downunder is different

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaoke koyote View Post
I think what it comes down to is: am I entertaining, or do I think I'm being entertaining?

The only way to verfiy that is whether or not your singers come back every week, and do they bring friends? If the answer is yes, keep doing it. If the answer is no... stop.

There's no argurment... some hosts can do this well, others can't. Period the end.

So far, my singers come back, and they bring friends. I make it a point to get people involved, and have fun, and don't take myself too seriously. You want to stand behind the table all night and collect slips, more power to ya, if that's working. Personally, I enjoy getting out on the floor and talking to people... I couldn't do it any other way. There's nothing more rewarding than getting that "shy" person to pop their Karaoke cherry and become a regular singer. If I've got to sing with them and hold their hand the first time, then that's what I do. The karaoke community loves to find newbies and bring them "into the fold". That's how your business grows... that's how you get the private gigs... because people see you're personable, and easy to approach.

That's the difference between a "host" and a "KJ". Any monkey can change disks/ work a computer, and introduce the next singer. A host remembers that besides the singers, there are others that come for the entertainment, and if thay doesn't happen they won't be back. You can't keep a gig on going if the bar isn't making money. That means non-singers need to be there as well. I choose my song not based on what I want to sing per say, but what is happening in the bar... sometimes the crowd needs to to get perked up. Singing or doing something silly can get a good laugh and "break it up" a bit.

There may be someone wanting to sing, but with someone else, and the don't have a willing partner. How will they know your willing if you don't sing? How can you expand what you sing, if you don't sing?

Are people laughing/ hugging you shaking your hand at the end of the night? Are they saying they can't wait to come back next week???

Sell drinks, entertain, and keep your singers happy and coming back. I don't think that's going to happen if all you're doing is changing songs and introducing the next singer all night. Boooorrring!
In Australia.... If you are a host that is a superb singer and entertaining, the punters (patrons) don't care. We have a tall poppy syndrome down here. If the best they will cut you down. If you are the worst, they will lift you up. The punters love it when someone sounds terrible. I have some world class singers follow my show because of the quality, and the punters don't even clap. When a crap singer has a go, there is a standing ovation. Karaoke to me is for people who can't sing. As soon as you have a good singer singing to karaoke it becomes a different ball game. It then is a solo performer with backing music, not karaoke. People down here don't want to hear the host sing, even if there are no singers. The host, if they are good singers, should have another show (not karaoke) just for them to sing at. Then you can build a fan base and make your life more rewarding. You have the gear, practice at home and be the star you aspire to be and get out there and do some real gigs. There is nothing worse than a host singing at his own karaoke gig.
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:40 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
In Australia.... If you are a host that is a superb singer and entertaining, the punters (patrons) don't care. We have a tall poppy syndrome down here. If the best they will cut you down. If you are the worst, they will lift you up. The punters love it when someone sounds terrible. I have some world class singers follow my show because of the quality, and the punters don't even clap. When a crap singer has a go, there is a standing ovation. Karaoke to me is for people who can't sing. As soon as you have a good singer singing to karaoke it becomes a different ball game. It then is a solo performer with backing music, not karaoke. People down here don't want to hear the host sing, even if there are no singers. The host, if they are good singers, should have another show (not karaoke) just for them to sing at. Then you can build a fan base and make your life more rewarding. You have the gear, practice at home and be the star you aspire to be and get out there and do some real gigs. There is nothing worse than a host singing at his own karaoke gig.
Stefan, we are finally in real strong agreement. I agree with everything stated above. I wish it was this way a little more in the States, too. But the biggest complaint I do get about the other hosts is that "it's all about themselves", which simply means they probably sing at their shows when there is no need to.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
.....they probably sing at their shows when there is no need to.
If a karaoke show is for the singers, there is little need for the host to sing. If a show is about the host singing, then the host should dump the karaoke and use the karaoke tracks as background tracks, putting their focus on being a lead singer who sings a four hour show by themselves, the way professional singers do it.

There is nothing wrong with the karaoke host singing to get things started but once everybody is singing, there is no need for the host to sing past that point, in my opinion.

No offense to anyone, just my two cents worth.

Jim

Last edited by madjim- with the Lord; May 22nd, 2008 at 02:10 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:32 AM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjim View Post
If a karaoke show is for the singers, there is little need for the host to sing.
There is nothing wrong with the karaoke host singing to get things started but once everybody is singing, there is no need for the host to sing past that point, in my opinion.

No offense to anyone, just my two cents worth.

Jim
Right on Jim. I did my time on the road as an entertainer. I don't need to be the center of attention. Most people don't go out to karaoke to hear someone else sing, they are just polite enough to put up with everyone else until it's their turn. Don't get me wrong, I still sing occasionally. Usually to start the night out or end the show if the crowd peters out. I just don't feel like me getting up and trying to be "THE MAN" is what I'm there for. If I wanted to be the star, I'd still be on the road.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:16 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjim View Post
There is nothing wrong with the karaoke host singing to get things started Jim
That's the going theory and seems acceptable. I am always able to get someone else to start the show, they get to feel special (that the host let THEM sing first), as they are announced as the "opening act". I don't believe (at least in my case) that if I sing first, people will get going as a result and create a special "want" to sing afterwards.

I now have people run up to me as soon as I walk in and ask to sing first.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
That's the going theory and seems acceptable. I am always able to get someone else to start the show, they get to feel special (that the host let THEM sing first), as they are announced as the "opening act". I don't believe (at least in my case) that if I sing first, people will get going as a result and create a special "want" to sing afterwards.

I now have people run up to me as soon as I walk in and ask to sing first.
Bryant,
We agree again. I have folks who like to sing first and of course I let them. I only sing to get things started if I have to. I prefer that the my singers sing every song, all night.

Jim

Old May 26th, 2008, 05:43 PM

Actually, I think this depends on the host. I think that as the night progresses the host can "mix it up" a bit with certain set piece songs... either for their comedy value, or as group montages.

I actually get requests from my regulars to sings certain songs that mean something to them, or ones they would like to hear. For a goof, I'll do "the streak" , and get one of my regulars to do the reporter... Always gets a HUGE laugh and thunderous applause.

"Boondocks", by little big town. I get two of my lady regulars to help out with that song... always gets a great reaction... especially when we go acapella at the end.

Of course, once the rotation gets long, I'll bow out and just run the show, and goof off with the singers. I don't think that's something you can define... you have to "feel it" a bit based on what's happening.

I always close the show with "goodnight sweetheart" and thank everybody for coming out... and I get folks wanting to to "do it with me"... and while I may start off (with 1 or 2 singers ), I usually hand the microphone off to someone in the crowd and let it run out... Its a lot of fun when a bunch of folks come up (especially the non-singers) to dance "sha na na" style to the song... its a great finish to the evening for those who stayed.

The key is participation... even from the "non-singers"... but this is the way I do things... and it works very well for me... other KJ's may not find this appealing. Conversely, I couldn't NOT do it this way... it just seems so natural

I don't think of karaoke as a bunch of people getting together to sing... I think of it as a bunch of people getting together to actively enjoy music.

The Karaoke Koyote
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:18 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaoke koyote View Post
Actually, I think this depends on the host. I think that as the night progresses the host can "mix it up" a bit with certain set piece songs... either for their comedy value, or as group montages.

I actually get requests from my regulars to sings certain songs that mean something to them, or ones they would like to hear. For a goof, I'll do "the streak" , and get one of my regulars to do the reporter... Always gets a HUGE laugh and thunderous applause.

"Boondocks", by little big town. I get two of my lady regulars to help out with that song... always gets a great reaction... especially when we go acapella at the end.

Of course, once the rotation gets long, I'll bow out and just run the show, and goof off with the singers. I don't think that's something you can define... you have to "feel it" a bit based on what's happening.

I always close the show with "goodnight sweetheart" and thank everybody for coming out... and I get folks wanting to to "do it with me"... and while I may start off (with 1 or 2 singers ), I usually hand the microphone off to someone in the crowd and let it run out... Its a lot of fun when a bunch of folks come up (especially the non-singers) to dance "sha na na" style to the song... its a great finish to the evening for those who stayed.

The key is participation... even from the "non-singers"... but this is the way I do things... and it works very well for me... other KJ's may not find this appealing. Conversely, I couldn't NOT do it this way... it just seems so natural

I don't think of karaoke as a bunch of people getting together to sing... I think of it as a bunch of people getting together to actively enjoy music.
Participation, in any form, is definitely the key. As we are considered the ONLY interactive and entertaining Hosts in this area, we always get called to start up Karaoke at the new bars or new places . Actually, a bar owner visited our show Sunday night and offered me a position on Thursday nights (forever), at a bar down the street, closer to my home (3/4 mile away). Got a requst for a wedding ($550) for this August 17. Happens all the time, we have zero advertising, don't want more work (but can handle a little more during summer) on a permanent basis.

Old June 16th, 2008, 05:45 PM

Yeah Man....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
I will sing first just because people don't like to be the first. Sound check is my excuse. Then will only sing if needed throughout the night. If it's busy, I will not sing, as a host I feel I am taking away a spot of a paying singer that may not get up now because I took an extra spot. If I want to sing I will come in on an off night or go somewhere else.
I may start to do a sound check. If the crowd is small early, then I will be in the rotation, and work my way out. The point is for everyone to sing not the KJ, If I want to sing, there are other places to go and sing Karaoke...and make my competitors nervous. LOL Just kidding, I get along well with the majority of my competition. Spread the wealth. Even in times like these.
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old June 16th, 2008, 05:54 PM
VIP

Quote:
Participation, in any form, is definitely the key. As we are considered the ONLY interactive and entertaining Hosts in this area, we always get called to start up Karaoke at the new bars or new places . Actually, a bar owner visited our show Sunday night and offered me a position on Thursday nights (forever), at a bar down the street, closer to my home (3/4 mile away). Got a requst for a wedding ($550) for this August 17. Happens all the time, we have zero advertising, don't want more work (but can handle a little more during summer) on a permanent basis.
Just for the record, if I may boast a bit

During my Sunday night show, a new restaraunt and bar one building away (new place), asked if I was available on Monday nights, last week I spoke with a bar owner up the street who wants to get karaoke running again (last guy couldn't bring in a crowd last year) about Thursday nights. That would make me seven nights a week at 5 different places within a mile from my home. Gotta love it!

Old June 16th, 2008, 10:50 PM
VIP

DOn't get locked into 7 nights unless you need the money - do it too long & burn out will set in VERY fast, 2 nights off is a nice break - or if you do you may consider a host (if you don't already have one).

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old June 17th, 2008, 10:41 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
DOn't get locked into 7 nights unless you need the money - do it too long & burn out will set in VERY fast, 2 nights off is a nice break - or if you do you may consider a host (if you don't already have one).
Thanx, Lon, I've been doing three weekday nights with a full time teaching job during the school season, thought I might make a few extra bucks over the summer, however, when summers over, I plan on dropping the Sunday and Tuesday gig (The Monday one will phase out on its own, Monday is bad night around here), then maybe keep the Wed. and Thurs. (if it succeeds) next school season. Those two nights are much easier as they are toward the end of the school week.

But you're right, seven nights is crazy for a long period of time, and I don't need the money that bad.

Old January 26th, 2009, 07:21 PM

At one of the bars I work they have a dart league that plays first. The person who comes in second for that night is the first singer. I don't sing that first rotation, but after that, when I sing, people know that the rotation is starting again.