MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:23 AM

Question Have I Lost My Mind

ok uys need some input I just aquired a bar this week , It has been run into the ground as far as a reputation of the previous owner, how do I build it back up to what it used to be, a respectable bar where everybody can have a good time. I have already put the draft beer back into the bar, along with some new items that haven't been out long however I have to Get the PEOPLE back in the BAR for it to make a profit, or was I just crazy for thinking That I could save this bar rom becoming non-existant, which in Tennessee if a bar stays empty for six months with no beer lic. it can never be a bar again it's crazy but that is tennesse for ya. I love this little place have done many a show there when it was a hopping little place and I just want to see it florish yet again.
XP Home 5.1.2600 SP 3 Build 2600 TOSHIBA Satellite L25 System Type X86-based PC Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel 1496 Mhz TOSHIBA V1.50 SMBIOS Version 2.34 PM 256.00 MB VM 2.00 GB 250GB ex hd ATI
Old December 3rd, 2008, 02:14 AM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraokeDj38030 View Post
ok uys need some input I just aquired a bar this week , It has been run into the ground as far as a reputation of the previous owner, how do I build it back up to what it used to be, a respectable bar where everybody can have a good time. I have already put the draft beer back into the bar, along with some new items that haven't been out long however I have to Get the PEOPLE back in the BAR for it to make a profit, or was I just crazy for thinking That I could save this bar rom becoming non-existant, which in Tennessee if a bar stays empty for six months with no beer lic. it can never be a bar again it's crazy but that is tennesse for ya. I love this little place have done many a show there when it was a hopping little place and I just want to see it florish yet again.
Don't try to promote the bar. Promote yourself. From the few dealings I have had with you, it seems that would be a better alternative. Don't miss a chance to tell everyone you meet that you are the new owner. Tell them what your vision is. I too, stepped into a situation like you are in. In the span of 2 years I had doubled annual sales. In the meantime, look for ways to economize. It really isn't important to have every new trendy thing that comes out, unless it is a high margin item. Stick to the basics. Try to limit the amount of $$ you carry in inventory. How many employees are we talking about? Could you do with one less?

There are only 2 ways to make more $$ in business. Get more customers, or get more dollars from the ones you have.

Getting customers is easier than you might think. Just talk to people. I don't spend 1 penny on radio ads anymore. They are not worth it. Do look for alternative advertisement with little or no $$ out of pocket. See if there are any local TV shows who would have you as a guest. Sell them on the idea of your karaoke prowess and knowledge. Show them how wonderful Hoster is. They may be interested in a news segment about karaoke. Look for events that you might attend to promote your business. Passing out flyers seems pretty cheesy, but it is very effective in the short term. Don't just paste them on cars though, put them in peoples hands. Introduce yourself.

As for getting more money out of your existing customers, talk to them. Find out what they spend their $$ on. Maybe you can provide something that they are going to purchase anyways. Every little bit helps. Maybe food, cigs, hell birthday cards if it makes you a couple of bucks. If you sell cigs, do you GIVE AWAY matches, or SELL lighters. How about a flower or stuffed animal for your sweetheart? You can have a beer while your shopping for that "perfect" gift. Do you have internet access there? Put in an unsecured wireless modem and offer free WIFI. Maybe they'll have a drink or a corndog while they surf the internet. These are just a few ideas off the top of my head. The point is, open your mind to the possibilities. It is very hard work to get your feet under you in a new business. Don't get lazy and complain that people aren't showing up. GO OUT AND GET THEM!!
Old December 3rd, 2008, 02:51 PM
VIP

Question What does your Liquor License allow?

Frances,

What does your liquor license allow you to sell? Beer & Wine only, or full liquor? What kind of clientele do you wish to attract. Put yourself in the patrons shoes! Would I Come into this place, and spend my hard earned money, and would I come back, if the place is less than the place across town? What is the occupancy/square footage? Will it hold enough people to support a band, including a dance floor? Does it have a kitchen? Are the Bathrooms nice and clean? Does it have adequate parking? Is the area well lit? Can you tell there's a bar there, by driving past it? ( street sign ).

In the Karaoke Business we get to see it all, and usually hear the customer complaints before management/ownership does. That should be your first lesson in customer service. What made it popular before, and what did this last owner do to drive off the customer base?

Rick
Rikki Tikki Karaoke
Old December 17th, 2008, 11:14 PM

I disagree, you can't advertise yourself, only your customers can since they are not bias. You have a bar that needs advertising......ever wonder when a new product comes out, it has the word NEW very visable on it?? people often buy the new product to try it out. Your first couple of months will decide your fait,.,.,.get out and mingle with the customers...bartend yourself. I know first hand, I helped a guy for 4 years and he had a good buisness until he slept with my now EX-wife and I no longer helped him and went bankrupt in a little over a year. Ask around, entertainment and good food(if you have a pub) are number 1 and 2, and I agree on very clean bathrooms. My sister lives in Tenn, but there is only a couple of struggling bars there...Nashville on the other hand was a blast. I live in wisconsin and there is a bar for every three people it seems. I love Tenn.....maybe you need a manager from WI??? HAHA seriously, advertising will eat up a big portion of your profits, but consider it an investment that will pay off in the end when you won't have to advertise anymore. Once you get started it will be very important you drink moderately even if your amungst friends becaues other people will see you in the bar. I can give you all kinds of pointers, but it will be up to you to find out what your area needs...be unique..........Good Luck>>>>>I come down every so often so if I'm close I'm sure I can put some WI money in your till.