MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old October 7th, 2008, 02:26 AM

Updating Windows From And Old Version Of XP

I just upgraded Windows XP on my studio computer which hasn't been online since I bought it over four years ago.

Here are the steps I followed:

1. Click Start button > Settings > Control Panel > double-click Automatic Updates. In its dialog, click Notify me but don't automatically download or install them. This will pop up a notice when you are on-line and there are Updates available. You don't have to do them until you choose to. Do this BEFORE you go online.

2. Only install about four Updates at a time and restart Windows after each group of Updates you make. Often, Windows must do some "housekeeping" on Updates that have been installed, before making other ones. DEFINITELY SHUT DOWN AND RESTART. If you don't some Update(s) may cause weird and unexplainable problems.

NOTE: Each time you go to do more updates, uncheck all "Critical Updates" (I first saw and unchecked more than 90). Check only the updates whose titles are clearly related to the "major function" you just installed. For example, I first installed Netframework 2, then I would install 4 Updates with "Netframework 2" in their name. I did all of these, before I started installing Netframework 3. Make all the Updates to each major function.

3. First install WMP11 (Windows Media Player) and then its updates.

4. Next install netframework 2 and then its updates.

5. Next install netframework 3 and then its updates.

6. Next install IE7 and its updates.

7. Finally, install SP3 and its updates.

The order may not be important, but this worked for me.

I hope this helps anybody who hasn't had their computer online for a while and you want to update Windows XP so you can run a newer version of MTU software. MTU uses the latest Windows Updates as they update their programs. Thus, you must have those Windows Updates or MTU's latest version(s) may not run correctly. I have helped many users in the MTU.Community Forums who were reporting weird problems, and they disappeared after doing their Windows Updates.

If at any point you experience any kind of problem, you can do a System Restore back to before the block of Updates you just added.

Jim

(edited by Admin)

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200

Last edited by admin; December 15th, 2008 at 03:49 AM.
Old December 15th, 2008, 06:36 AM

How To Do A System Restore

Sytem Restore is a feature Microsoft added to their operating systems to help users recover from any unwanted changes made after an upgrade or after adding new software or hardware to the computer. It is turned on by default and makes what are called "Restore Points". If you make a change to your computer, System Restore will make a restore point or take a snap shot of your system settings before the change is made. This way you can always return your computer settings to this point if the computer isn't running right after a change is made.

Let's say we made an update and it messed up our system. To use system restore, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Sytem Tools > Sytem Restore. The option to "Restore my computer to an earlier time" should be selected, if not select it.

Click on the next button and you will see a calendar. The dates that are in a bold font are the dates that System Restore made Restore Points. Since we just made an update we will want to use the latest restore Point, System Restore will normally open with this point selected. If not, select it and and click on the next button.

This will bring up the "Confirm Restore Point Selection". Click on the next button and Sytem Resore will shut down your computer and set it back to where it was before the update or install. Once the computer restarts you will see a screen confiming that the computer was set to the Restore Point you selected. Click on OK and you will be back in business.

The updates you want to be careful of are the ones for your Sound Card and your Video Card (hardware). If your Sound Card and your Video card are working, I advise that you do not take the Optional Hadware updates. These are the only updates that have ever caused me problems.

If you do a System Restore after using Windows Update, you will have to go back to the "Windows Update" web site and install the updates you need.

I Hope This Helps!

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200

Last edited by madjim- with the Lord; December 15th, 2008 at 06:45 AM.
Old December 15th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Honor Roll

Additional way to Sytem Restore

Sometimes for whatever reason it can be easier or quicker to use the command line. Also there are times you can't even get into Windows. Here is an alternate as a last resort.

1. Reboot into safe mode with a command prompt.
2. Get to an administrator account so that you have the needed permissions to get things done.
3. At the command prompt, type: %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
4. Follow the instructions to restore your PC to an earlier state of operation.