MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old November 19th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
in my opinion, he's better off getting a hum eliiminator instead of a 3 prong to 2, he can get one at radio shack for $15.00 ,theres a danger in using that type of an adapter (3 prongs to 2 ), not just for him and his equipments and not to mentioned the people around him..this is just my opinion..
I agree completely. What are the chances of getting hit by lightning? Extremely slim, but you don't stand outside with a metal rod in your hand just because you or anyone you know ever got hit with lightning.
Old November 20th, 2008, 02:35 AM

Quote:
in my opinion, he's better off getting a hum eliiminator instead of a 3 prong to 2,
Hey Billy,
You are correct here. I did not reccomend that Karl keep using the 3 to 2 prong adapeter. Using the adapter like Bob suggested only determined that Karl has a gound loop issue. The ground should ALWAYS be used like Lonnie said, or somenbody is going to get bit on the lip when the current flows to ground from the mike, to their lip, through their body, to the floor which is now the system ground. I felt this once working on somebody eleses system and it was very painful. It actually split my upper lip open. I never let it happen again.

I have found that if every peice of equitment used in a sound rig is plugged into only one outlet there is no need for any kind of hum eliminator. I've been setting up my gear in clubs for over 25 years now with no system hum or buzz and have never had to use a "power hum eliminater". I make sure everything is plugged into one outlet and there is no 60 cycle system hum. (I'm sure "power hum eliminaters" work, I've just never had to use one. )

If I had a hum (it normally comes from a guitar amp which I don't use in my shows since my band died years ago) I use a Direct Box and lift the ground on the input that is causing it. I guess you could call a DI box a hum eliminater but it lifts the ground from the input going into the mixing board. I don't like to mess with my power ground ever since I got bit on lip.

Now rooms with alot of light dimmers installed can cause a hum. In this case a "power hum eliminater" may be handy but I've never had a room with dimmeres be so bad that I could not do a good show. If your ground sceme is correct, the hum will be very low in volume and only noticable during total silence. The dimmers are normally turned down for the show anyway.

Karl,
If plugging all of your gear into one outlet does not eliminate your hum them by all means get a "power hum eliminator" or a Direct Box, I suggest you use a Direst Box.

Thanks Everybody!

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old November 20th, 2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjim View Post
Hey Billy,
You are correct here. I did not reccomend that Karl keep using the 3 to 2 prong adapeter. Using the adapter like Bob suggested only determined that Karl has a gound loop issue. The ground should ALWAYS be used like Lonnie said, or somenbody is going to get bit on the lip when the current flows to ground from the mike, to their lip, through their body, to the floor which is now the system ground. I felt this once working on somebody eleses system and it was very painful. It actually split my upper lip open. I never let it happen again.

I have found that if every peice of equitment used in a sound rig is plugged into only one outlet there is no need for any kind of hum eliminator. I've been setting up my gear in clubs for over 25 years now with no system hum or buzz and have never had to use a "power hum eliminater". I make sure everything is plugged into one outlet and there is no 60 cycle system hum. (I'm sure "power hum eliminaters" work, I've just never had to use one. )

If I had a hum (it normally comes from a guitar amp which I don't use in my shows since my band died years ago) I use a Direct Box and lift the ground on the input that is causing it. I guess you could call a DI box a hum eliminater but it lifts the ground from the input going into the mixing board. I don't like to mess with my power ground ever since I got bit on lip.

Now rooms with alot of light dimmers installed can cause a hum. In this case a "power hum eliminater" may be handy but I've never had a room with dimmeres be so bad that I could not do a good show. If your ground sceme is correct, the hum will be very low in volume and only noticable during total silence. The dimmers are normally turned down for the show anyway.

Karl,
If plugging all of your gear into one outlet does not eliminate your hum them by all means get a "power hum eliminator" or a Direct Box, I suggest you use a Direst Box.

Thanks Everybody!

Jim
I find that a rack mounted power conditioner seems to take care of everything. I have never noticed a power hum on any of my rack mounted devices. Some of these units have some kind of filtering added to them.
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old November 20th, 2008, 04:47 PM

Thanks for the backup Vic!

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old November 20th, 2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvic View Post
I find that a rack mounted power conditioner seems to take care of everything. I have never noticed a power hum on any of my rack mounted devices. Some of these units have some kind of filtering added to them.

thats what i have now a rack mount power conditioner , i have a custom bulit road cases for my show and back-up laptops and all my gears ( laptops and all my ext. hhd(s) and my cordless mics receiver) are plugged in and i don't have any sound problems..
Old November 21st, 2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
thats what i have now a rack mount power conditioner , i have a custom bulit road cases for my show and back-up laptops and all my gears ( laptops and all my ext. hhd(s) and my cordless mics receiver) are plugged in and i don't have any sound problems..
Plus good grounding takes care of any other noises. Now wireless mikes especially some VHF mikes can cause a lot of background noise when put on standby. Double check the gain settings on the any wireless devices.
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old November 21st, 2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvic View Post
Quote:
Plus good grounding takes care of any other noises. Now wireless mikes especially some VHF mikes can cause a lot of background noise when put on standby. Double check the gain settings on the any wireless devices.
havent had any problems with my wireless mics, and any of my gears, but thanks for the adviced..