MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Vogone & Vogone Easy Software > Vogone Help

Vogone Help Post Vogone questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old November 14th, 2006, 09:49 AM

I have Microstudio and have used it to create karaoke songs using the original music and eliminating vocals. However, I do so only for personal use as I do not know for sure what the legal issues are. None of the karaoke CD+G's I have bought are by the original artists and so I fear the vocal reduced versions I make are not legal for use in my shows as I do not have permission to use the audio. I would buy it anyway becuase I would like the ability to do it even if just for my personal use. This might not be the right forum for this question but does anyone have any thoughts on this.

gpayne
Old November 14th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Administrator

If you buy an Audio CD, do you use the songs in a public performance? You can.

If you take the tracks from that same disc and vocal reduce them, there is no difference.
Old November 14th, 2006, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
If you buy an Audio CD, do you use the songs in a public performance? You can.

If you take the tracks from that same disc and vocal reduce them, there is no difference.
Thanks for that reply. I use to create many of my own karaoke songs but decided not to use them in my shows for fear they would not be legal. I personally like the karaoke songs I create better as the audio is better. Now that Vogone does even better at reducing the vocals I will be creating and using more of my own creations.

Thanks

gpayne

Last edited by admin; November 15th, 2006 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Replaced "Microstudio" with "Vogone"
Old November 16th, 2006, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpayne View Post
Thanks for that reply. I use to create many of my own karaoke songs but decided not to use them in my shows for fear they would not be legal. I personally like the karaoke songs I create better as the audio is better. Now that Vogone does even better at reducing the vocals I will be creating and using more of my own creations.

Thanks

gpayne
That's some pretty terrible advice. If no one makes a profit from it, you certainly can. If you do profit, or if the establishment profits (e.g. you are charging the establishment for your shows, you accept tips, they have a cover charge for the audience) the answer is absolutely not, according to any and all reasonable interpretations of either US Copyright Law or the Digital Millineum Act.
Old November 16th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by orerockon View Post
That's some pretty terrible advice. If no one makes a profit from it, you certainly can. If you do profit, or if the establishment profits (e.g. you are charging the establishment for your shows, you accept tips, they have a cover charge for the audience) the answer is absolutely not, according to any and all reasonable interpretations of either US Copyright Law or the Digital Millineum Act.
Then I guess what you are saying then is every DJ is operating illegally!!
You are forgetting the fact that those establishments where DJ's and KJ's play their music are paying license fees to ASCAP, etc for that very right, so I guess the advice isn't so terrible after all.
Old November 16th, 2006, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
Then I guess what you are saying then is every DJ is operating illegally!!
You are forgetting the fact that those establishments where DJ's and KJ's play their music are paying license fees to ASCAP, etc for that very right, so I guess the advice isn't so terrible after all.
If you read the original question, I am not saying that any KJ operates illegally. I am saying that using a devocalized original recording (aka "sampling") in a show from which you or the establishment earns a direct profit from your performance without obtaining permission from the copyright owner of the recording is demonstrably in violation of US Copyright laws. By all means, please do not believe me. You can do a Google search and find this out for yourself. Paying blanket performance royalties to ASCAP does not cut it in this case. Those royalties apply to performances using backup tracks that you or the establishment purchased and own outright. It does not apply to recordings that you doctored yourself, regardless of whether you own them or not.
Old November 16th, 2006, 10:28 AM

The local ascap rep here told me that all performance rights are paid to ascap and Bmi. They collect for the copyright owners for the music that is being used.

Read the disclaimer on ALL cd', cdg's and dvd's.... they all state that it is strictly Illegal to play the contents in public. If ascap is being paid, then rights are being paid for.

next well start a thread on gun rights.........
Old November 16th, 2006, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gduns View Post
The local ascap rep here told me that all performance rights are paid to ascap and Bmi. They collect for the copyright owners for the music that is being used.

Read the disclaimer on ALL cd', cdg's and dvd's.... they all state that it is strictly Illegal to play the contents in public. If ascap is being paid, then rights are being paid for.

next well start a thread on gun rights.........
That is correct, for playing of ORIGINAL RECORDINGS. It no longer applies when you alter the original recording to suit your own purposes. See just about any lawsuit involving "sampling". They all revolve around paying the royalties for the original work, then altering it. Most artists are not willing to allow their recordings to be altered in any way. That is why no karaoke company on this planet uses original recordings in any way, shape or form. They re-record the songs after paying the appropriate master track license fees to the copyright holder(s).

Gun rights are established by our constitution and bill of rights and are not subject to debate :P