MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum

CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum All about drives and media

Closed Thread

Old December 29th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Cravotta View Post
Can you tell me what software is related to the Microstudio that affects the production of disks that I would need to update or upgrade? My Router has been updated, my Modem has been updated and I backup my three hard drives every two weeks.
Windows XP is very integrated into this process. Microstudio as are other programs on your computer are inter-related and dependent on the Windows functions working correctly. If I could tell you exactly where to go to fix this I would, but every situation is different and trying to troubleshoot problems through the forums or even over the phone is very difficult since we can not see exactly what is going on with your computer.
Please understand that though I may not be an MTU employee, I do have 40+ years in IT support.

Quote:
Your advertizing stated when I was buying the new burner that if I didn't use MTU's disk that the burner would not work properly. I believed what they said. That's why I didn't buy cheaper disks.
How would cheap disks work when I'm trying to get the burner to work.
I don't believe that is what they say on their page on those drives. They do say that if you use cheap disks they may not play on a karaoke player. I personally use Memorex "Music" grade CDs and have never had any problem with them playing. All they are saying is they researched and and sell a quality disk that they know will work.
The reason I (not MTU) said to use the cheap disks was for troubleshooting purposes to keep from destroying your quality (more expensive) disks while testing for a fix.

Quote:
You can look up in my records that I purchased a burner some time this year and it worked fine for about as long as this current one. I asked for an RMA number and returned the unit to MTU. They deducted a re-stocking charge.
I have been with this company a long time, Since 2003, and in the beginning I spoke with the owner most times and he would spend some time helping with the problems I would have with other software. Like never being able to download programs for some unknown reasons and would have to purchase the CD/or/DVD to get the programs to work.
*I would like to hear from someone from MTU who can explain to me why my unit will 'test write' a new disk that I want to burn and it processes perfectly, but when the burner tells me that testing process was completed successfuly and it asks if I want to burn it, it errors out every time. What part of my computer system has any control at that point in the process. Then, maybe I can work on that piece of hardware or software!
I have some $15,000 dollars of editing software and hardware in this computer. I have Pinnacle Software and Pinnacle hardware, Lexocon amplifiers that I use to produce my recording of all of our Songs Using $500 dollar microphones and Cakewalk software when I need to produce new music. I can run all of this equipment but I can't produce a Karaoke disk with this burner. I have seventy Karaoke disk to create now but my business is dead in the water.
I purchased this new burner on 2008-11-25 @ 23:30:24. My order number is 63081. I've had it just over a month. It worked for two weeks and your Warranty is 10 days.
*I think if no one can answer my question I feel that MTU owes me something. At least to check the unit out at you plant and see if they can get it to work.
I have been buying MTU software and hardware since 2003. I really am not mad, I'm disapointed!
This is information you need to put in your Support Ticket Email.
There is only one point in this part of your post I will comment on. When you have Microstudio perform "Test CD Before Writing" it is not testing the CD itself as this would require writing to it and would ruin the CD. It is testing the drive controller to make sure it is responding correctly without actually turning on the laser to perform the burn. The drive is performing every step of the function with the laser turned off so it doesn't ruin the CD.
Old December 29th, 2008, 11:50 AM

To: Dale Douglass 12-29-08

I talked to someone through the MTU system and asked about the statement that I read in one of the adds and he stated that MTU's disk were manufactured specifically for MTU and they would suggest that I use them with the new burner.

As to the laser not being activated during the test and that the system is checking the files only, how can I test to see if the laser actually has the ability to burn a disk? I use a CD and DVD cleaner which I use each morning before I start burning disks. My Plextor burner had a test function to check if the laser was functioning properly. The laser has a reading funtion and a burning function. I could be updating and upgrading 'til the cows come home and it still would not work.

I have been reading as many of the Forum posts as I can, and the majority of them are complaining of the same type of problems that I'm concerned with. Can it be that all of us who have posted all of these problems are all inept at using Microstudio Burners and software? All of this began with the new Microstudio that converted all files to .bin files. I never had problems like this before the new software was issued and Microstudio informed us that our old code numbers would no longer work (and not explaining in advance that our old codes would no longer work). They (Microstudio) should make an attempt to re-institute a way for those of us who had to purchase disks because of the inability to receive downloads that did not work.
Again, all I can say is that I'm very disapointed that Microstudio has let this situation grow to these perportions.
Old December 29th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I talked to someone through the MTU system and asked about the statement that I read in one of the adds and he stated that MTU's disk were manufactured specifically for MTU and they would suggest that I use them with the new burner.
As you say they "suggest" and I would too for burning finished products, but for testing no itisn't necessary to ruin the expensive disks to find out if a fix worked or not. That was all I was saying.

Quote:
As to the laser not being activated during the test and that the system is checking the files only, how can I test to see if the laser actually has the ability to burn a disk? I use a CD and DVD cleaner which I use each morning before I start burning disks. My Plextor burner had a test function to check if the laser was functioning properly. The laser has a reading funtion and a burning function. I could be updating and upgrading 'til the cows come home and it still would not work.
If the laser activates during the test phase then the disk would be ruined and not usable for the burn. There is no way to test the laser without ruining a disk.

Quote:
I have been reading as many of the Forum posts as I can, and the majority of them are complaining of the same type of problems that I'm concerned with. Can it be that all of us who have posted all of these problems are all inept at using Microstudio Burners and software? All of this began with the new Microstudio that converted all files to .bin files. I never had problems like this before the new software was issued and Microstudio informed us that our old code numbers would no longer work (and not explaining in advance that our old codes would no longer work). They (Microstudio) should make an attempt to re-institute a way for those of us who had to purchase disks because of the inability to receive downloads that did not work.
Again, all I can say is that I'm very disapointed that Microstudio has let this situation grow to these perportions.
Yes there have been some who have had problems with Microstudio but it is a small minority of the thousands of users. And no I don't think that any are inept at using the software and burners. Any time you upgrade from a major version (3.xxx) to a new major version (4.xxx) then your registration code changes when you purchase the upgrade. This has always been MTU's policy.
Not sure why you can't recieve downloads, since you obviously have internet connection. Depending on your internet speed it may take some time to download, but it should come through ok.

The "conversion" to .BIN files from .CDG was actually only an extension change and did not change any of the contents of the files. I realize you are looking for reasons why this is happening, but unfortunately this isn't it.

Vince consider this. You have tested the burner on other programs and it writes ok. You have had two drives and they both worked for a short period of time (in Microstudio). The question is what is causing them to suddenly stop working for you? MTU knows that if everything is right with the computer Microstudio works and so do a lot of people.
Old December 29th, 2008, 07:13 PM

To: Dale Douglass 12-29-08

Dale,

I don't seem to be getting through for some reason. You have not given me any technical answers to my questions. Every answers is telling me that there is no way for the burner not be functioning correctly. I know that you are trying your best to satisfy me, but I don't consider your answers satisfying at all. I need someone to say there might be a problem so let's check it out. I notice that now when the burner starts in the burning process and before it errors out, the light on the burner never changes from the green color to the light orange or yellow color the other CD burners that I have do.

I downloaded Bel Arc and ran it two or three times and it states that my computer has all major upgrades and updates and every thing looks good.

*What I would like is a name and a telephone number of the manufactures of this burner that I can contact, send this burner to them and have them look at it and tell me that they placed it in a computer that they know has all the upgrades and updates in it and that it works for them. I will pay to ship it to them and then back to me. I could have it checked here locally but I would still have to get an electrical schematic for that burner.

I have sent three (3) of my Plextor disks back for service when they stopped working. They checked them and sent them back. Now because they have stopped making CD+G burners they no longer will take them back for repair. They suggested the route above to solve the problem.

I hope you can forward me the *information I have asked for.
Old December 29th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Honor Roll

Vince, I know I'm a little late to the party, but I was reading over your posts and noticed something. You had said you tried the drive on a second computer. Do you also have Pinnacle Studio on the other machine? Roxio, Nero, and Pinnacle have a nasty habit of taking over your CD/DVD burner and not playing nice with others. I will refer you to this posthttp://www.windowsbbs.com/hardware/3...-disabled.html on a forum about Pinnacle and this problem.
Old December 29th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Dale,

I don't seem to be getting through for some reason. You have not given me any technical answers to my questions. Every answers is telling me that there is no way for the burner not be functioning correctly. I know that you are trying your best to satisfy me, but I don't consider your answers satisfying at all. I need someone to say there might be a problem so let's check it out. I notice that now when the burner starts in the burning process and before it errors out, the light on the burner never changes from the green color to the light orange or yellow color the other CD burners that I have do.

I downloaded Bel Arc and ran it two or three times and it states that my computer has all major upgrades and updates and every thing looks good.
Vince that is because I had run out of answers. We have tried everything that I know of. I never said you didn't have a problem, but was saying that it wasn't the drive that you wanted to send back. I had gone as far as I could, and you were wanting to send the drive back which would not solve the problem either. That was why I asked Marklwood to take a look at our posts and see if there was anything I was missing. I have never used Pinnacle Studio, so I was unaware that it could do the same thing as Roxio and Nero which is to lock a drive for exclusive use. Thanks Mark. It just shows we are never to old to learn.
If you need any help with the instructions in the link that Mark included just let us know here and we can try to break it down to step by step.
I am not sure on this burner (I have a couple of them) if the light changes color. I have never really paid attention to that as my computer is under my desk and I can't see the light.
Hopefully the Pinnacle Studio is the culprit. Sorry I couldn't figure it out.
Old December 29th, 2008, 11:16 PM

To: Marklwood & Dale Douglas-12-29-08

Gentlemen;
I thank you for this information. I will follow it up and try what the article might suggest.
Marklwood, Yes I had roxio on my other XP but not pinnacle because it doesn't have a fast enough chip to run Pinnacle.
Dale, I still would like the name and address of the manufacturer of the burner drive. I cannot keep replacing burners forever. I had my two Plextor drives for eight (8) years without a hiccup in their performance. And I'm sure that I produced some 1250 CD+g disks. I haven't made 25 disks with both of the burners I purchased from Microstudio. It's sad because all the other Microstudio products have been wonderful.
I apologize if I've said things that maybe I shouldn't have but, I've been desperate to get back to work.
Old December 29th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Dale, I still would like the name and address of the manufacturer of the burner drive. I cannot keep replacing burners forever.
I would love to give it to you but I have no idea what it is. I am not even sure MTU has it as it maybe that they order them through a wholesale supplier. I know they are a Sony/NEC produced product, but they do not show this model on either of their sites. Go figure. I know that Black and Decker has their name on some products too that are not made by them and are not listed on their site either. Guess it is kind of like the Kenmore line that Sears sells that are made by multiple manufacturers. Sorry.
Old December 30th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

Vince,
Here is the address for Sony Optiarc America:

Sony Optiarc America Inc.
1730 N. 1st St
San Jose, CA 95112

They also have firmware updates in their support section for all their models.
Old December 30th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Honor Roll

Quote:
I had my two Plextor drives for eight (8) years without a hiccup in their performance.
We are all a little upset with Plextor for pulling the plug on their CDG drives. They had a hard-coded chip in them that was state of the art for reading/ripping CDG disks. They sited lack of market as the reason for abandoning this technology, but I think they gave up too soon.

Quote:
Marklwood, Yes I had roxio on my other XP but not pinnacle because it doesn't have a fast enough chip to run Pinnacle.
This could be the same situation. Roxio and Nero, along with Pinnacle, make some registry changes to take over your burner. They do it for consistency and performance gain. They nevered considered that you could POSSIBLY want to use something else to burn disks with.

I hope that this is all it is. It is a well documented known problem that is easily remedied with a few changes to your system.

As far as the frequency of failure, I suspect it coincides with an update that checked, and replaced, control of your burners to another program. The programs in question were written for Windows and will play nice as long as control is passed to them. They know how to do this in a Windows environment, but were not written with Microstudio in mind.

If you get it resolved, or not, please post back with your results. It may help someone down the road that is having a similar problem. If not, we may have someone else that we can compare to to see if you have anything in common that may be causing the problem.
Old December 30th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Honor Roll

I would add one more thing. The offending parts of the 3 programs are as follows:

Nero - InCD
Roxio - DragToDisk
Pinnacle - Instant CD/DVD

These are the known problem children. There may be other parts, but I know of these for sure will cause the EXACT problems you are reporting. They want to "handle" all of that laborious work of burning a disk for you by saving you exactly 1 mouse click.
Old December 30th, 2008, 12:04 PM

To: Marklwood

I registered with Windows BBS but I could not find the post you mentioned. I read until my eyes started to water. Could you help with the proper search question?
Would you suggest my un-installing Pinnacle through the Control Panel to test if MTU burner works without it?
Old December 30th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Honor Roll

Quote:
I registered with Windows BBS but I could not find the post you mentioned. I read until my eyes started to water. Could you help with the proper search question?
Would you suggest my un-installing Pinnacle through the Control Panel to test if MTU burner works without it?
reprinted from the thread:

Quote:
Before you do anything be sure to backup up the registry ....

Start > Run > type in Regedit > OK

When Regedit opens scroll to the top if necessary and highlight My Computer

Then go File > Export and in the Export Registry Dialogue box type a name for the backup and select a location - the default of My Documents is fine and be sure that the All button is checked.
Then proceed to the fix

Quote:
uninstall the vob drive and vob instantdrive controller (in scsi and raid controllers) in device manager

then click start, run, type regedit, hit the f3 key, type vobid (short for VOB InstantDrive), click find next, delete the key, hit f3 again and again and remove all instances of vobid that you can delete until you done

P.s. it won't let you delete some keys, but when you are done, instantdrive is history

make sure you backup your data before ever messing with the registry
I know this seems like a daunting task in the beginning, but you can do it. Nero now has a tool to accomplish this for their software, but the others have not followed suit. It is not the entire Pinnacle suite that is the issue. They have a really top notch editing program. The only problem is with the virtual drive that takes over the burner.
Old December 30th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Honor Roll

For future reference:

Whenever I install new software, most will give you an option for a "custom" install. I always take that option. I will only install what is absolutely necessary for the program to run. This is usually accomplished by un-checking everything that can be un-checked. The core program usually will be grayed out and will not allow you to un-check. Then, if I feel like I need some other feature that is in the program, I can always go back and install that part later. It saves CPU, memory, and hard drive space. It is also a lot easier to clean up later if you decide you don't like the program.

I really miss the DOS days. Back then, all you had to do was delete the program's directory and BINGO, no more program.
Old December 30th, 2008, 01:17 PM

To: Marklwood 12-30-08

I uninstalled the vob and vob instant drive controller.
I hit the f3 key and it worked quite a while going through the registry.
It went through it cycle and found nothing to erase.
I'm going to restart the system and try another burn with MTU.
Old December 30th, 2008, 02:00 PM

To: Marklwood 12-30-08

I rebooted the computer and tried to burn my disk but, alas an alak, the same error came up and ruined another disk. The one thing that I noticed, each time since this problem started, when I would reboot I would get a notice that Window would state " Could not continue because a drive was tryng to reboot from a cd. I would hit the return and it would complete the reboot. After completing the steps that you suggest, when I rebooted it there was no error coming up. I rebooted again just to check, and it rebooted on the first try again. Evidently removing the virtual drive might have corrected that problem.
Do you have any suggestions for removing the control that Pinnacle might have on MTU?

Pinnacle - Instant CD/DVD
Old December 30th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Honor Roll

The next thing I would try is removing the upper and lower filters.
This is a fix by microsoft for a similar problem with Adaptec.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q270008/

Even though you are not getting the error code, it sounds like a similar issue.
Quoted from the article:

Quote:
There may be other third party CD-Writing Software that exhibit similar behavior. Some or all of these troubleshooting steps can apply to them if they also add entries under the UpperFilters or LowerFilters registry values by either adding their filter drivers or by removing the registry keys and values outlined in this article
I haven't ran Pinnacle in quite a few years, so I don't know how it sets the filters. It won't hurt to try it. What is the worse thing that could happen? Your burner doesn't work?
Old December 30th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Honor Roll

I starting to sound like Steve Jobs here.

And ONE MORE THING...........
If you hit Alt+Ctrl+Del and look at the task manager, do you see an entry for IWCTRL.EXE? That is the TSR for Instantdrive. I hope that it is gone now. If not, we still have some work to do.
Old December 31st, 2008, 12:05 AM

To: Marklwood 12-30-08 10:59PM

I check the task manager and there is no item "IWCTRL.EXE.
I checked on a program someone told me about called Driver Detective. I purchased it and it showed that I had 21 drivers that were outdated, 3 that were missing and 22 that were good. I worked for 6 1/2 hours and could only update one of them. the others I tried and tried and they could not be updated. I called the company back and they said they would try to get to me in couple of days. I told them just to cancel my order and refund my money and I would try to update myself.
Old December 31st, 2008, 01:28 AM

To: Marklwood 12-30-08 11:43PM

I've tried everything I know of. I switched the cables back to Master & Slave,
I uninstalled Pinnacle software and Pinnacle's "instant DVD recorder".
I placed the task manager in my lower try so that I could watch the CPU's being used as the MTU software started test writing a disk. I ranged from 24% to 100%. It went up and down between those percentages until it finished the test and went back to 3% at system idle. I said no to writing the disk an closed the screen. restarted the process and asked the MTU program to write the disk without testing. It went into the preparing files at 4% for 6 seconds and retreated to 3% system Idle until it came up with the error 'user aborted' and it never moved from the 3%. In doing it that way it did not ruin the disk. I did this three times only trying to write the disk, the burner never came on.
Too my way of thinking, If the test of the disk was fine and it used the cpu and then I start the 'write disk' comes on and never used any cpu, there has got to be something wrong with the burner.
I tried to test and burn an MP3 disk with 10 songs with micostudio. I tested the songs prepared the same as the other, from 24% to 100% CPU usage.
I stopped the program again saying 'No' to burning the disk. Then I open it again and asked to burn the disk. It went into the preparing files at 4% for 6 seconds and retreated to 3% system Idle until it came up with the error 'user aborted' and it never moved from the 3%. Again, the burner never came on or I would have seen the CPU meter go up to 100% during then burn cycle. Someone must know a way of fixing this problem. I feel that Microstudio should get involved in this!

Last edited by Vince Cravotta; December 31st, 2008 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Missapelled words
Closed Thread