MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: How Often Do You Use A Contract?
I Always Use A Contract 0 0%
I Never Use A Contract 6 40.00%
I Use A Contract For Private Parties Only 8 53.33%
I Use A Contract For Clubs Only 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 6th, 2007, 03:08 AM

Contracts

I recently had a conversation with a karaoke host from a different town and the subject of contracts came up. I've worked as a professional entertainer for over 20 years and never once have I had to get a signed contract for a private party or a club. Just a quick poll to see how common the use of contracts is.

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200

Last edited by madjim- with the Lord; September 6th, 2007 at 03:14 AM.
Old September 6th, 2007, 04:49 AM
VIP

In my opinion contracts are barely worth the paper they are written on. If they are to ironclad the bar/club owners will balk because they want to have the freedom to make changes as they see fit.

Competition in my area is such that undercutters and those who will work without a contract are numerous enough that If I insisted on one it would only mean that I wouldn't get the gig.

So far all the owners and managers i've dealt with have been men of their word. I can't complain about how i've been treated.

If I did private parties it might be a different story however.

Sam
Old September 6th, 2007, 05:30 AM
VIP

I use a contract for private parties only. Have a little more meat in that situation than over a club contract - they can always claim that we aren't fulfilling our duties to some point.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old September 6th, 2007, 07:50 AM
VIP

Only weddings and only ppl I don't know, but pretty much know everyone in Central Maine. Or at least they know who I am; if I may boast, but a short time ago I was a nationally competitive long distance runner and gained a lot of local notoriety that way.

Old September 28th, 2007, 12:29 AM

Use a worksheet with a contract inside of it. Gives them the show they want and me the signed document. They are liable only for $50 to hold their date, an extra $50 if they cancel on that date. All dates booked are negotiable without extra fee if I'm available. The $50 is non refundable to hold their date, but included in the total price. The extra $50 is if I have traveled to their event on the day of the event and it has been cancelled, this I bill them and have not had a refusal the one time it happened. He caught her, the night before. I recently went to officiate a wedding, (I'm ordained) and no wedding and the landowner had no idea, paid me my fee after he informed his son he read his and his girlfriends ceremony and he owed some money. I say make up a worksheet be as professional as possible for your clients but make them sign something for your time and planning their event. Most often it comes across as being a pro with a contract for services that are worth it. I've been told many times I'm the cheapest they found and cannot believe what I give for the money compared to others. Me I'm just trying to make a living and can't believe what others give or should I say don't deliver to undercut me. I charge $70 per hr, five hr min. Then go from there with my other services, such as pictures and officiate the ceremony etc. More than usual I am contracted for all my services, which include lights, smoke, bubbles hula hoops, limbo, karaoke and dj, plus video extras.
Old October 13th, 2007, 05:33 PM

just weddings..which i dont do anymore.
Old October 27th, 2007, 08:01 AM

Bars only

I use them for weekly shows. They are full of loopholes and not worth the paper they are written on but it shows a far more professional appearance to a bar owner than just "hey, I'm here, I'll work, you pay me" kind of deal.

I considered using them for private functions but didn't think it was worth the hassle. The deposit system (no refund without justification) and full agreed payment before set up policy that I use is extremely effective.

Jon

Monolith Entertainment