MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum

CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum All about drives and media

Old December 6th, 2004, 07:57 PM

Computer As Karaoke Machine Questions.

I didn't know which category this question belongs to, so I put it here.

If I want to use one of your computers with the hoster software, how do I connect it to my mixer/amp?

I currently use a JVC Karaoke Machine with the audio and video out connected via RCA connections to the audio in on the mixer/amp and the video to the TV. The speakers are connected via speaker cables from the mixer/amp. I connect the mics directly to the mixer/amp and control the inputs and outputs from the mixer/amp. I also can use a video spliter to connect two TVs.

I assume (I know the joke) that your computer will act as the JVC Karaoke Machine, but don't see how I can connect the audio to a mixer or video to a TV using RCA cables.

I guess I need a little help with the "how tos" of connecting the computer to my system. I lean toward the PC rather than the lap top, but the lap top has the advantage of the built-in monitor and is light weight. Why I'm on the subject of weight, it would be nice to have a handle on the PC.

QUESTION: Can I use one of your computers in place of my JVC and if so, how do I connect it to my system.

Thanks,
Wes
Old December 7th, 2004, 03:01 PM

Re: Computer As Karaoke Machine Questions.

the connections are simple:

Audio = 1/8 stereo patch cord out of computer to RCA or 1/4" on your Mixer

Video = S-Video or RCA out to RF Modulator the Coax to TV

I have 2 systems, 1 laptop and 1 MTU Portable PC

Once you go this way you will never go back to your JVC Player!
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:11 AM

Just a quick addendum to Flippers reply - I went to Radio Shack and purchased a 1/8" stereo patch cable which split the channel into two mono cords. I added a couple mono 1/4" plug adapters and plugged into the left and right inputs on the mixer. Now I can control music volume and left and right speakers independent of the singer volume.
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:34 AM

Video

One more note that I missed - I run the S-video to a splitter box which sends the signal to the singer's monitor and an LCD projector which I use with a 60" mobile screen to let the audience see the lyrics. The audience has really gotten into the big screen since we added it.
Old July 20th, 2006, 01:19 PM

I DO NOT know if this will work or not. I am just now on the verge of being a HOSTER owner. BUt, I connect my laptop audio to a PA system with an Xitel HiFi Link. It connects to the USB port on the laptop and terminates in two RCA jacks which go into my PA system. I'm using Media Player for backing music for a solo performance but as yet have not gone live. Having other issues with MIDI etc, but the HiFi Link has worked great as a high quality external audio signal.

Ron
Old November 16th, 2007, 12:16 AM

hooking up the mic's?

Where do you connect the mic's if you are using a
laptop as your machine?
Old November 16th, 2007, 08:32 AM

The mic's are connected to the mixer. The computer is simply playing the music and showing the video.
Old November 16th, 2007, 08:33 AM

Just like a cdg player.
Old November 18th, 2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrahn View Post
I didn't know which category this question belongs to, so I put it here.

If I want to use one of your computers with the hoster software, how do I connect it to my mixer/amp?

I currently use a JVC Karaoke Machine with the audio and video out connected via RCA connections to the audio in on the mixer/amp and the video to the TV. The speakers are connected via speaker cables from the mixer/amp. I connect the mics directly to the mixer/amp and control the inputs and outputs from the mixer/amp. I also can use a video spliter to connect two TVs.

I assume (I know the joke) that your computer will act as the JVC Karaoke Machine, but don't see how I can connect the audio to a mixer or video to a TV using RCA cables.

I guess I need a little help with the "how tos" of connecting the computer to my system. I lean toward the PC rather than the lap top, but the lap top has the advantage of the built-in monitor and is light weight. Why I'm on the subject of weight, it would be nice to have a handle on the PC.

QUESTION: Can I use one of your computers in place of my JVC and if so, how do I connect it to my system.

Thanks,
Wes

connect you pc from headphone out to one of the mixing boards channels using 1/8 to 1/4 cable.. and your pc video to the tv..you might need to have an adaptor from s-video to rca.. and also make sure to enable your pc to a dual display..and to do this you need to go to control panel..click on display.then setting, you'll see a 1 & 2 display click on 2 then check the box that says extend..then click apply..make sure the tv is on before enabling the dual display..and the rest is just what you have now..
Old November 18th, 2007, 10:53 PM

Thanks For Replies

I wrote this question in Dec 2004, however, it's never too late to receive an answer.

Thanks,
Wes
Old November 19th, 2007, 12:12 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrahn View Post
I wrote this question in Dec 2004, however, it's never too late to receive an answer.

Thanks,
Wes
Hate to think you waited three years to get going, though!