MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Keyrite Software > Keyrite 1 Help

Keyrite 1 Help Post Keyrite 1 questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old May 30th, 2001, 06:53 AM

I have installed the software on my computer but when I open a .wav file and go to Play Preview the program hangs with nothing playing and no way to stop without closing out the program. Any ideas?
Old June 1st, 2001, 06:12 PM

Wink New User Reply

There was not enough information. What operating system are you using? What kind of sound card are you using? Can you go to the Windows (if you are using Windows) media player and play the same file? Try going to the Windows directory (if you are using Windows) and then go to the media folder and select one of the Windows .wav files and see if it works. I just downloaded KeyRite for the first time and it works fine with Windows 98SE and my sound card is a Sound Blaster Platinum 5.1. Let me know what happens and more information about your system and I will try to help.
Old June 2nd, 2001, 07:53 AM

My system is an AMD K6-2 500 using Win 98 and a Mark Of The Unicorn PCI-324 soundcard. The wave files play fine through the Windows media player as well as my other music software Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 & Cool Edit Pro 1.2 whuch I use to create & edit the wave files. Any help would be appreciated.
Old June 4th, 2001, 03:47 PM

Question Can't Play Wav file

Please let me know what system you are working from. i.e. computers cpu speed (Pentium II 400mhz etc.) and the amount of memory on the system and the operating system (Win95,98 etc.) I loaded a .wav file from the Windows/Media directory that was a standard .wav and it played fine. I am running a Pentium III 667mhz and 256k memory with Win98SE. I have 70 gig of hard drive space. Let me know and I will see if I can help.

Jerry Thomas
Old July 28th, 2001, 12:22 PM

I have noticed the same problem. It happens when KeyRite tries to access a file with 0 byte length. It just hangs and only Task Manager can shut it down. I found this because I was using a CD ripper that accesses the CDDB to assign names to the tracks. These names are long and of course have spaces. When I used KeyRite on one of these files, is would play the file OK except for the wobble (other thread). Next I would attempt to save the output file using the same name but adding a -1 or +1 before .wav and presto, KeyRite would wipe out the input file and the byte length would be 0 bytes. Any new attempt to access the file would give the lock-up you suggest. This always happens! An example file name is "test file.wav" = input "test file-1.wav" = output. I know that long file names are supposed to be supported, but I think the spaces are giving KeyRite fits. If you remove the spaces, no more file trashing.
Old July 29th, 2001, 04:50 PM

To Edhorton,
It sounds like (in your 7-28-01 post)You are adding .wav to your output file? If this is so, that is your problem. Keyrite automatically generates .wav for you.
Old July 30th, 2001, 08:55 AM

No I am not adding .wav. I read the manual. However, it seems to me to be poor programing to place this restriction on the user. There is a real problem in the code such that it will not take file names with spaces. Also, it should not overwrite the source file under any condition - which it does. I think MTU should look at this carefully. Even if a user should use the same file name for in and out, it should reject the output name. In my case, the names were different, but because of the spaces, it assumed they were the same for some reason, and trashed the input file. Check your parser. To add insult to injury, when I tried to access the input file again, the program locks up - which is the original issue in this thread.
Old July 30th, 2001, 10:48 AM

I tried the suggestion made about removing all spaces from the name of the wave file. I still have had no luck. Th program just locks up when I try to play my wave files.
Old July 30th, 2001, 11:08 AM

Check and make sure that the byte length of thr file is not zero. It was probably already trashed. I just right click on the file name and select properties.
Old July 30th, 2001, 07:18 PM

The byte length of the file reads 20.2MB, not zero. The file plays fine through any player that I have and on any of my 3 computers with different sound cards but as soon as I open it through KeyRite the program locks up. Thanks for the help.
Old August 1st, 2001, 01:29 PM
Administrator

We need to see your test file

Boytim: Could you email me that .wav file so we can figure out what is going on? It has not been reported before and we have no idea what is wrong. Keyrite will open standard .wav files.

What program did you use to create this .wav file? Was it ripped from a CD or created with an editor?

For example, Sound Forge will write a compressed file AND... add the .wav extension. We don't know why they did this. It violates the Industry Standard .WAV file data format by compressing the data. If you used Sound Forge, that is likely the problem.

You say it is 20MB long. That implies it is a 2 minute long song. If it is longer than this, it is a compressed file.
Old August 2nd, 2001, 07:15 AM

These wave files are ones which I have created myself using Cakewalk ProAudio Version 9.0. I have tried it with several .wav files and the particular one which I mentioned to you is about 2 minutes long.