MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Keyrite Software > Keyrite 1 Help

Keyrite 1 Help Post Keyrite 1 questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old May 10th, 2002, 04:02 PM
Lauraine Graham- with the Lord Lauraine Graham- with the Lord is offline

Key Finder software

Does anyone know if there is software available to purchase that informs one of the key that a piece of music is played in? I have a wave file editor with which I change arrangements, and it is very successful for that, but it does not have this facility.

I have been asked to participate in a big charity show in a few weeks' time and I will be performing with real musicians, as opposed to a karaoke track. I haven't done this for more years than I care to mention and I have forgotten how to do this - even when I was professional I was sometimes way out, so my method was obviously less than accurate. I don't want to appear a total prat, as it seems that my participation has been requested by one of the organisers, who must have a very long memory indeed.

Can anyone help, please?

In anticipation of all the advice I hope to receive, many thanks.

Best wishes
Old May 12th, 2002, 02:15 PM

Lauraine, since no one else has come forward on this one(a bit of a poser) there might be a back door approach to this enigma. I've seen Piano tuning software out there on the internet. This got me wondering why one couldn't use something like that, or tuning forks and do it in reverse. Play the song and find the key on the tuning fork, or the p.c. software. Would think tuning forks would work best as one could find the key rather quickly while the song was playing. Can something like this be rented for a couple of hours or so?Have no idea how expensive a route this would be, or if it's even practical, but seems like it should work. Probably expensive to purchase a set, which would make the software more attractive. Dunno, just brainstorming.

take care,

George

Another possibility just popped in. One might be able to use Keyrite, and one's ear to do this. Play a song with a known key on a cassette or CD player. While it's playing, play the unknown one in Keyrite and keep changing keys until it sounds quite close to the know song. Bet a professional musician such as yourself wouldn't be very far off

Last edited by George; May 12th, 2002 at 03:03 PM.
Old May 12th, 2002, 03:39 PM

Dear George

Always trying for me, aren't you, you dear man. Your sugestions are welcome, thank you. However, I was looking for something that would come up with"Bb" or A#m", or something. I don't know, maybe I'm being unrealistic, but the thought occurred that if such software was available someone, somewhere out there would know about it.

If it doesn't exist perhaps someone brilliant could write it. There is clealry a gap to be filled. We all know some brilliant people not too far away, don't we?

Thank you very much, dear George. I really do appreciate the trouble you take for me, and everyone else!

Best wishes
Old May 16th, 2002, 06:55 PM

using a cheap chromatic tuner

I purchased a chromatic tuner (about $20) to see what any note I hear is. For instance, if I see that a high note that Paul McCartney sings is a B flat, I know that I will have to change the song down at least 3 half-steps. (McCartney is a tenor and I am a baritone you see)

This way I know, even if it's early in the morning or I have a cold, if a song is in my normal range.

Using this tuner, if you are capable of figuring out the key note and whether it's major or minor (all you need to do is hum the note into the tuner and it tells you what it is)

Other than that I believe their is Midi software that will transcribe a piece played on a special instrument, change keys etc.
Old May 16th, 2002, 07:43 PM

Thank you very much for troubling to reply to my question. I shall give it a try, although I am still looking for some software to transcribe or identify the key from a wave file.

Best wishes
Old May 27th, 2002, 12:51 AM

finding the key a song is in

Lauraine,

I play guitar and piano and would simply play the song on the player and use a guitar or piano to find out what key that it's in?
If you do not have an instrument, you can purchase a pitch pipe from the music store for a few dollars to do this.
Good Luck,
Steve

Last edited by SteveWalker; May 27th, 2002 at 05:51 PM.
Old May 27th, 2002, 01:19 PM

to Steve

Thank you for trying to sort me out, but your suggestions are not available to me, as I cannot play an instrument. I do not know my bass from my treble clef, but thans any way.

Best wishes
Old July 4th, 2002, 06:30 PM

Smile Key Finder

Hi Lauraine!

I know I'm answering your question quite belatedly, but I
only read this post today as I was browsing through the archives.
As far as any software that would tell you what key a song is in from a wave file, I've never heard of any. Being a musician myself,
I know that it would have to be a VERY sophisticated program. It would have to be able to track the chord progressions in a song, analyze them, determine whether the song is in a Major or minor key, and finally tell you what key the song is in. Pretty tall order!
Your best bet is to ask a friend who plays guitar or keyboard to help you determine the keys to all the songs you have a question about. Any musician with a decent knowledge of music theory and intervals would have no problem. By the way, as an after thought, there is some software out there that I think can do what you want, but only from a midi file. The software is Band-In-A-Box and the website is:www.pgmusic.com. I hope this helps you or anybody else out there who needs it.

Lawrence T.
Old July 4th, 2002, 07:37 PM

Lawrence

Thank you for your reply and helpful comments.

The need which prompted the thread is now passed, as the show was a couple of weeks ago. I used toperform professionally myself, but it was a VERY long time ago. I have lost touch with the musicians I used to know, so this option is not now open to me.

However, I am still interested in finding some software, if it can be found. I will investigate the site you suggested and post back any success.

Many thanks and best wishes