MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old March 29th, 2006, 08:01 AM

Toe Dipping Update

Hi All,
I asked for some advice a while back on getting started, and some of you helped out a lot.
Anyway, wanted to provide an update. I lined up with a bar that I used to frequent, but went under. They closed up, remodeled, and rethought the strategy. Anyway, I set my price, provided all the information of what I could offer and got the gig. THEN, I asked if I could come in prior to the opening weekend, and run my system through because I wanted their big night to go without a hitch. I came in set up, and had some of the regulars sing a few songs. Lasted two hours or so. Anyway, they were totally impressed that I cared that much about their big night.
The Friday night was the craziest night I have ever seen in a K-Club. People came, and stayed. The place filled up and I ran 28 singers through. I mis timed the "shut off" time and had a few songs left on the table at closing, I played over 15 minutes. This is a place I used to frequent because they usually only ran 7 or 8 singers through before. Anyway, the place has been slammed ever since and twice has paid my X hour charge to either start eiarly or play an extra hour. I got a little concerned about my regulars, so I started something new. I start thirty minutes early, and only the regulars know about it. They can come at 9:30 and get a few songs in before the crowd takes off. It is a value added to the bar and my singers at the same time. Things like this help the bar to justify my premium price.
The bar is using another upstart on Tue. and Wed. I go up on occassion to support the other KJ and call my people trying to get them up to help this mid week guy out, but his stuff just doesn't sound very good. The manager has asked about using me for one of those nights, but I told him he needs to give the guy a chance to build a mid week crowd. Hey, I know how hard it is to get started...
I think the key for me is, I had done so many private shows and ran sound so many times before. I work the crowd like crazy, and I have shown the bar that my main objective is to keep the people there, and get them to come back. The place looks at their books, and can see the difference.