MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old September 28th, 2005, 12:22 PM

Quality Counts..

As others have said, it really depends on what you want to spend. I started out plugging a cheap mic into a JVC player and I am now up to a Shure Beta mic, a shure SM58 and a BOSE PAS system. I also still use a Beheringer mixer just because I love the digital effects and the 3D surround it provides. The sound is incredible. BTW, I am not a KJ for say.. Never been paid anyway. Just get together with friends and KJ the party.
Anyway, my point is the equipment makes a huge difference because the more truth you hear as feedback the better the vocal adjustments will be made. Someone meantioned Carvin and I would second that. I have quite a bit of carvin equipment that I really don't use now due to the PAS, but the Carvin equipent does a very good job. The best thing about Carvin is you buy direct and cut out the middle man. As DJMADMAX said, the Carvin PM15A's are a fantastic quality and value. I have two CARVin PM15's (The passive version of the PM15a) and they sound awesome. The Carvin amps are one of the best quality/value buys as well.

Of course the PAS blows anything I've ever heard away. I got it mainly due to not having to lug a bunch of equipment around, but the reproduction is out of this world. Almost anyone sounds at least good on this thing and good singers sound awesome. This thing is a KJs best friend...

So having said all this, let's get back to what someone wants to spend. I've gone through lots of equipment and lots of money for this reason or that to finally end up with a PAS. At $2000 for a PAS, I would have saved a ton if I just bit the bullet and bought it in the first place... So it's good to have a pretty good idea of where you want to go before you start buying..
Old September 28th, 2005, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karaoke John
Sounds like the interface will work, you can probably hook into your home stereo I know I have done that for years. John
I wouldn't really recommend running a mic through a home system or TV. They are not designed for hot signals like those produced by mics.

You can probably get by at really low volumes, but you run a good chance of blowing the high freq drivers if you turn it up at all...
Old October 12th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Hook ups

As I said in a earlier post I have used my Karaoke Machine with my Home stereo for yr's 10 to be exact with no problems. This is just for home use which is what Chatrobot was talking about. Now I hook my laptop up to the Stereo and Sing through the Karaoke machine which has 30 watts per side which in my basement is plenty loud. For other Gigs I use either a yamaha EMX 660 or Peavey 696 F. with either 12 in speakers or 15 in Speakers.
In looking back on Chatrobots entry He could go with a non powered mixer Yamaha, and Samson both make a 4 to 6 input that runs around $100.00, I would check with Musicians Freind, Sam Ash, Guitar Center or local music Store and Pawn Shops for best price. That way he could hook up both Lap top and Microphones and run into his stereo.
As far as hooking up TV They make VGA adapters or if he has a RCA Video Out he could possibly hook up to RCA video port. It there is none on his TV he could use a RF adapter and hook into the cableport, Check local Radio Shack The have all kinds of soulutions. Since he did not specify what video outputs he has its hard to give a solution. I would keep it simple and use what you have till the need to upgrade comes.

John
Old October 15th, 2005, 10:02 AM

Fender

Also Check out the Fender Passport 250-I have used it for almost 2 years with great success. The speakers and mixer/amp weigh a little over 50 lbs and are connected for easy transportation. You could take them apart and mose them separately (speakers 12 lbs each and amp around 30 lbs) $7-800 for the 250 and a 150 is also available.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 11:46 AM

Fender

I had a Fender Passport 250 til it blew up in the middle of a gig . When I went to have it fixed fender said it would cost around $800.00 which was $200.00 more than I paid for it I used the money to buy a peavey 1200 watt mixer amp. I guess I wouldn't be a good source for recommending Fender passport systems .

John
Old January 2nd, 2006, 11:20 AM

the only real solution

[quote=littlekjgirl]thanks everyone replying, I will check both speakers out.......cuzz one of these days im gonna get squished![/QUOTE
Hi
The only real solution is to find some 6 ft hulk that will worship the ground you walk on, do as he/she is told and will love lugging all your equipment for you.
And support you as well
And of course agree to keep all his/her emotional baggage to them selves

Sorry just couldn't resist

Warmest regards

Glen <~~~~~~Available