MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old February 16th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Playlists vs Singer lists

We all have our own ways of running our shows and own preferences of the use of Hoster. Well just thought I would layout some of my own preferences to promote some discussion on the subject. Now that we have the singers database I find little use for having saved play lists. Now I’m sure this is going to create some discussion here as I think I must be alone with this idea.
I always start a fresh show with just two songs of my own in the play list as I always start the show by singing one myself, and four music video’s just for fill in if it’s a bit slow waiting for the singers to get their confidence up. All these are set to Skip mode until needed. Plus I have 2 A-stop rotation markers ready. Any regulars I can quickly add their songs to the play list as and when they turn up from their saved singers list’s. Others I just add as normal when they hand me or ask me for their choice.
Now if my memory was better I would set Hoster to “Not Keep Songs After played” but as a reminder for their names (old age again) I wait until they have finished and their name is there in front of me so I can make any comments about them, then I delete them. I prefer my play list to be short and see no need for long lists of people who may not even turn up that night. I have the BA activated for fill in for when some of the singers are a bit slow getting to the singing area, probably because they have either gone to the toilet or outside for a cigarette even though their names are shown on the up and coming singers list.

What are your views on this ?
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old February 16th, 2011, 03:17 PM

Re: Playlists vs Singer lists

personally i don't keep any of the list, everytime i do a show, i always start fresh, songs get deleted after playing, it doesn't take that long to search for a song whether it is for regulars or new comers..i normally start first , and i'll probably do 3 songs , most of the time even before i start my show, i already have songs line up for next singers..
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:37 PM
VIP

I do four or five different venues each week, but the show format is generally the same... I arrive at least an hour before show time, to set up and test equipment for gremlins... By then, there are a few singers chomping at the bit to get their songs in the playlist before someone else bumps them and gets the same song first ( I have an unwritten Karaoke Law : no repeats ), with a catalog of 13000 songs, I hate it when two or three people try the same song...even though I sometimes cringe when I know that the winner is not necessarily the best singer of that particular song So generally there is a shortlist to begin the show with. ( "Come early and sing a bunch" ) I sing a song to adjust the mics and the mix... then it's always somewhat different...depending on who walks in... every show is unique, and that is what separates Dj's and Kj's from live bands... unless a band has been together for a long time... their setlist is redundant, and after you have seen them a couple of times, it becomes boring, unless they are true entertainers, and can hold and make the audience want to come back to hear the same songs, week to week...

Most of my venues are small ( 25 to 50 seats ) and can't make room for a proper stage... so I pass the mics from singer to singer at their table or chair, or ??? while leaving Hoster on automatic with a 10 second pause between singers, so I haven't needed background filler music, after the show starts... if someone is missing when it is their turn ( smoking, bathroom, bar... ) I humorously castigate them, or skip to the next singer after a short pause ( first time I place them next, the second time, they wait for the next rotation! ), no excuse with the upcoming singer(s) listed, and me wishing to keep the show running smoothly, and maintaining the best rotation, so I get as many songs in as possible.

I can adapt to any crowd, and usually have to during the night... most of my crowds are diverse, in ages and repertoire, so it keeps me hoppin' to keep up with all the requests from oldies, 80's, country, spanish, etc. I don't keep playlists, start fresh every night, only saving my regular's songlists with all venues mixed in together... like some, I have problems remembering names some times when I haven't seen them in a while ( I've been Kj'ng for about 20 yrs now) by using the singer database, I now can help trigger the brain cells to remember their name! (Oldtimers Disease) Kinda like a bartender that can't remember names, but will have your usual drink ready for you when you sit down...then through conversation, jogs the memory and your name is recollected... or was it the creditcard that they are holding for your tab???

So keep the show entertaining, keep it moving, and a fair rotation, and you can compete with anyone! Kill'em with kindness, make them sound the best you can, and they will keep coming back... then hint to them to try a couple of different songs...

Show Computer: Dell Precision M6700--Intel I7 3720 QM Quad 3rd Gen 2.6 ghz--16 gb Ram
Integrated Onboard Graphics, 2 gb DDR2 dedicated Video Memory--500 gb SSD & 1TB SATA HD--Windows 7 Pro--External HD WD 4 tb

Backup Computer: Lenovo Ideapad 7750G--PCI Express X16 Gen3 2.5 ghz--32 gb RAM--NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M, 2048 MB DDR3 --1 TB SSD--Windows 10 Education -- 64 bit

External Optical Drives: Plextor 760A & 712A
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:49 PM
VIP

Like Billy i've never saved a list - I personally never understood the reasoning to need to as not the same singers come in night after night or even necessarily sing the same songs as the last time they were in. Always a fresh start every night - set to delete after played, don't remember a night where i've needed to play anything other than karaoke so no music or videos gets loaded at any time. If I see someone come in, i'll add their name to the rotation (which I have displayed on another computer) until they actually put up a song - learned never to assume someone wants to sing a long time ago so I don't automatically put up songs for anyone.
As far as someone that may be 'detained' when I call their name, I will not wait, I will get the next singer up & the skipped singer may sing after that. If they are not ready a 2nd time, they wait an entire round for their next song. Never let any song play until the end, once the ending credits of the disc display (unless the singer is doing some ad libbing over the outro) or until the singer walks off the stage when done, that song gets faded out & the next one is cued up.
I also have the no repeat rule for songs. 1st come 1st serve & after that it's off limits till next time.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions

Last edited by Lonman; February 16th, 2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old February 17th, 2011, 11:33 AM

Up here in God's wilderness we are simple, happy, uncomplicated folks. And we like it that way. For istance, we don't even have a traffic light, in the entire county. Been do'in karaoke up 'round these parts at the same american legion club going on 7 years now. Been a musician for going on 40 years, a kj {hate that term} host going on 30 years {started out with cassette tapes and cards}.

At our club it's the same people, same age group 50+, they sit at the same tables, same arguments over the same wars, same songs, same key changes, same prefered disc. Same starts and redo overs, same "i was suppose to sing before him rants". What play list? and what singers' data base? I often start a songs intro going without even needing to call the singer up by name. Hoster puts their name on the screen, and the ones who have good enough eye sight, can read it. Those who don't or are a little deaf, we help along.

I've DJ'ed at singers children's weddings, done funeral music at our church, and my laptop with hoster has been on a hay wagon going down main street during our 4th of july parade, every senior center in 50 miles, the beach, campgrounds, and private parties, as well as political rallies. Why we had President Obama up here not too far from me this week. If thats not knowing my singers and what they sing, i never will.

And Roy, i have this old guy that i always have come up first, he sings "For the Good Times" following him is a sweet lady who sings "Teddy Bear". They have to leave early after the fish fry. Those are my mic checkers..get everything sat in two songs...always...the SAME two songs...
Old February 17th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

I see from the responses from those that have answered so far that I am not alone regarding not loading saved playlists before a show.
I see this as being more of a benefit to individual performers who may have the same set of songs to sing each performance. The only other benefit I can see is if you keep songs after played so that you can look back and see who and what was sung on a particular day.

I started this thread because I see quite a few posts regarding playlists and wondered if I was on my own not starting with a previously saved one.

Seems all us regulars are on the same wave length.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old February 17th, 2011, 03:13 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Dennis View Post
The only other benefit I can see is if you keep songs after played so that you can look back and see who and what was sung on a particular day.
Not sure what benefit this would serve. When the stats page are employed in the future (hope) then we would be able to see that info at a glance, how many times, within certain time periods, etc.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old February 17th, 2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
Like Billy i've never saved a list - I personally never understood the reasoning to need to as not the same singers come in night after night or even necessarily sing the same songs as the last time they were in. Always a fresh start every night - set to delete after played, don't remember a night where i've needed to play anything other than karaoke so no music or videos gets loaded at any time. If I see someone come in, i'll add their name to the rotation (which I have displayed on another computer) until they actually put up a song - learned never to assume someone wants to sing a long time ago so I don't automatically put up songs for anyone.
As far as someone that may be 'detained' when I call their name, I will not wait, I will get the next singer up & the skipped singer may sing after that. If they are not ready a 2nd time, they wait an entire round for their next song. Never let any song play until the end, once the ending credits of the disc display (unless the singer is doing some ad libbing over the outro) or until the singer walks off the stage when done, that song gets faded out & the next one is cued up.
I also have the no repeat rule for songs. 1st come 1st serve & after that it's off limits till next time.

i myself don't load any songs from anyone until i get a song slip ( yes, i still use one), like you said, when people comes in, that doesn't mean they're going to sing, or going to stay for the night, i always announced who's coming up next and who's gonna be on deck, if i call their names and they not ready, they will be on the next rotation...