MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old December 3rd, 2005, 05:42 AM

Recording Singers - the LEGAL way

I think recording singers is an incredible addition - I'm sure SOME of you have tried it.
I purchased a real time CD recorder but never used it because I know there is a legality issue. Does anyone know how much that is and who to pay it to?

If anyone IS doing this. Do you pass along the cost or add a little bit to the cost each recording???

I really would LOVE to add this dimention to my shows...LEGALLY!
Old January 1st, 2006, 02:32 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Extreme
I think recording singers is an incredible addition - I'm sure SOME of you have tried it.
I purchased a real time CD recorder but never used it because I know there is a legality issue. Does anyone know how much that is and who to pay it to?

If anyone IS doing this. Do you pass along the cost or add a little bit to the cost each recording???

I really would LOVE to add this dimention to my shows...LEGALLY!
Maybe I'm a dummy or I just don't understand your question or concept. Here goes :

If I attend your show and sing a song and you provide a way for me to obtain a recording of my performance, I'm thrilled, you gave me the option, you provided the service, I got the end product, what legal issue are we talking about? You're not talking about mastering a cut for me to duplicat for mass sales. Are you thinking of something I'm too dense to be aware of ?
Regards
Glen
Old January 1st, 2006, 03:08 PM

Physically EASY...Legally different.

Yes you are reading the question correctly.

OK it's REALLY easy for me to hook up this CD recorder and record people. I have NOT done it yet because it is DEFINATELY a violation of the copyright of the recording (performance) and the song itself. I know that for SURE! Even if you are not mass duplicating it. That would be a bigger issue!!!

My big problem is... I would LOVE to provide this service. If I can pay whoever I need to do this somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 cents a song it would be feasible for me to do. My problem is I have no idea who to even ask (and had bigger fish to fry lately anyway)

I was hoping someone had already done this or knows something but I haven't had any responses yet.
Old January 1st, 2006, 03:55 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Extreme
Yes you are reading the question correctly.

OK it's REALLY easy for me to hook up this CD recorder and record people. I have NOT done it yet because it is DEFINATELY a violation of the copyright of the recording (performance) and the song itself. I know that for SURE! Even if you are not mass duplicating it. That would be a bigger issue!!!

My big problem is... I would LOVE to provide this service. If I can pay whoever I need to do this somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 cents a song it would be feasible for me to do. My problem is I have no idea who to even ask (and had bigger fish to fry lately anyway)

I was hoping someone had already done this or knows something but I haven't had any responses yet.
DUH!!!!!!!! ok I get it now the copyright issue. Well, if I bring you the song that is on a disc that I have purchased and ask you to record me singing that song, perhaps that would be covered by the fair use clause of international copyright law. BUT ! I would ask that question of a copyright attorney to be sure.

Years ago I got into a big battle with Kinkos because I had patterns for Stained glass Windows that I had purchased, and of course they were copyrighted. The kinkos clerks had little knowledge of copyright law.

As I had purchased those patterns The Fair use clause gave me the right to enlarge and duplicate those patterns for my own use, even though the end result of my work was the sale of the windows I created from those patterns.
I won !
But as I said ask the proper attorney, because I just kin barely speel atorneey
Hey you might also check with a recording studio and see if they might give you some information, after all they have folks using other folks material all the time no?
Warm regards
Glen
Old January 1st, 2006, 05:17 PM

This scenario is covered in this article by KAPA.

They claim you can't even make a back-up of a recording, like you can software.

I wouldn't be surprised if their answer to making a recording to GIVE to a singer might not be right on, however.

http://www.karaokeantipiracyagency.com/faq.html

George

ADMIN NOTE: Also read this page on research MTU paid for to get a legal opinion on this subject, which is totally at odds with KAPA's statments.
Old January 1st, 2006, 06:31 PM

Unhappy But what about Hoster???

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
This scenario is covered in this article by KAPA.

They claim you can't even make a back-up of a recording, like you can software.

I wouldn't be surprised if their answer to making a recording to GIVE to a singer might not be right on, however.

http://www.karaokeantipiracyagency.com/faq.html

George
WOW Thanks George I thought this was very interesting :

"
If I own my own discs, can I load them onto a hard drive to play them in a show, etc.?
No, you MAY NOT load songs from other manufacturers on your hard drive. The licensing rights for music on a hard drive machine exist only between the machine manufacturer and the music provider. These rights do not extend to the owner of the machine, to load songs from other manufacturers on the hard drive player. Copying the discs on to a hard drive is still copying the discs. Legally, it is absolutely no different than burning a copy of the discs. In order to copy your discs on to your hard drive, you have to have the written permission of the company that produced the discs and owns the copyrights."

Once again I am now lost lol or do not understand the purpose/use of hoster, or does the laptop from mtu come with loaded, licensed media? And what about adding new media? Now I am totally confused!!!!
Regards
Glen
Old January 1st, 2006, 03:10 PM
Frequent Member

recording your singers is Copying Music you do not own the rights to. ascap would have to be realy knitpicking to bother you for this (and they will) also if you charge your cust for this then you are selling copy protected music.Bob
Test Machine #1
Windows XP-PRO SP3
Dell 4700c P4 3.2 GHz
2 Gigs pc2-ddr 4200 Ram
seagate 320 Gig SATA Hard Drive
107 Gigs free
Internal Sound Card
NEC 6650a Internal DVD/RW Slimeline
Jaton Nvidia 8400GS-Ex 512 Megs Ram On Board
All windows Updates