MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: what is a fair amount?
100.00 - 150.00 28 9.18%
150.00 - 200.00 123 40.33%
200.00 - 250.00 91 29.84%
250.00 - up 63 20.66%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 10th, 2008, 09:22 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvic View Post
I have to be on the low side of 200 dollars, since most of the gigs I get are either Moose Lodges , the American Legion or some other service org. These places generally don't get the hassle of outside groups like BMI or ASCAP.

The shows are steady and I usually do one to two shows a weekend. The only exception is if it is a party or reception, then my rates are changed accordingly to the going rate for these functions.
Ditto

Old January 11th, 2008, 05:44 AM

DUI or Sing

Problem I am facing is in the last year or so it has gotten much more strict on DUI around NW Indiana...Crown Point Expecially. I make 150 for a week day and 175-200 for a weekend. I feel its fair as long as the bar make 4x's what it pays me. So if I get 150 they should make 600 on the register. Well in some of these smaller towns it not easy to hit 600 every night.

so 125-175 is more realistic.

I get 50$ from any show my other KJs run ...maybe 4-5 shows a week

I also give a break to repeat a weekers on bar has us on wed fri and sat so I charge 125/175/175 instead of 150/200/200 its a win win

Rich
aka Dr Karaoke
Old January 11th, 2008, 09:26 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrich View Post
I feel its fair as long as the bar make 4x's what it pays me. So if I get 150 they should make 600 on the register. Well in some of these smaller towns it not easy to hit 600 every night.

so 125-175 is more realistic.
I know the feeling. I hear from outsiders that Kennebec County, Maine, is the strictest there is on OUI/DUI policing.

Also, I have heard that magic number "600" figure before from bar owners. You say it's fair to charge 1/4 their take, I do too; however, do we return money on the real slow nights when it's less. Naw. We also don't get a proportionate extra amount on the 3,000 dollar nights either, do we? Although, one time i did get a 30 dollar bonus from a bar owner.

I just thought it was interesting to hear that 600 dollar figure again. I know what you mean about some rural areas trying to achieve that. Here in Maine, two places I work at, their most expensive drink is 2.75, and a beer is usually a dollar or less.

Old January 11th, 2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrich View Post
Problem I am facing is in the last year or so it has gotten much more strict on DUI around NW Indiana...Crown Point
Well if that is the case the patrons should know well enough if they like to go out and have a good time they better have DD. That is the reason they are getting strict becuse they want to get it through these peoples thick heads that it is not ok to drink and drive and to get a sober driver for the night!

I always try to give a message about that during the night to call a cab, call a sober friend, or to make sure you have a Designated driver Just because you can not drink does not mean you can not have fun.

Anyway this is on and off topic all at the same time but really it should not matter if they are getting strict on DUI or DWI because if the people that came out to the bar were responsible there would be no need for that county to be strict with the laws?
Hopefully Hoster 3.316
AMD Athalon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3ghz
ASUS M2A-VM Motherboard
2 - 1GB DDR2 800mhz Corsair RAM
1 - 500 GB SATA Western Digital HD
1 - 160 GB external HD
ATI Radeon Sapphire X1650 Pro Video Card 512MB
Realtek HD Audio

www.downhomekaraoke.biz
Old January 11th, 2008, 01:32 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilith View Post
I really it should not matter if they are getting strict on DUI or DWI because if the people that came out to the bar were responsible there would be no need for that county to be strict with the laws?
Yes and No, Kil. What they (the police) do here is park in front of the busy bars, patrons tend to feel uncomfortable. Result: they will tend other bars not so busy where they feel they are not being watched.

Roadblocks: Patrons may hang around the other bars where they don't have to "cross the lines". In Maine, everyone that leaves a bar drunk has broken the law, along with the bartender and owner. Is this enforced: yes and no; sort of randomly. Result: Patrons will migrate to areas where they know it isn't.

I remember a friend of mine telling me that in Miami once he left a bar, with a bottle of beer, staggered across the street and was stopped by an officer half-way across. Officer asked "are yo okay"? He put the bottle in his pocket and said yup. Officer says "can you make it home alright". He says "Sure no problem". Okay be careful. that's it.

If that was around here: Handcuffs on for staggering in street, breath test for intoxication, "Hey what's in your pocket guy", then full search. spend overnight in jail, bartender fined 1500 bucks, bar watched for next year.
That's what we mean by stricter in some places.

Old June 9th, 2008, 03:58 AM

Smile Rate of Pay

Hi, Everyone...I'm in Southern California...been doing shows for 17 years and always being very particular about my sound system and equipment... and by always updating the library... has acquired me quite a following! Here are a few suggestions...First have faith in yourself, you're worth the money!...And have the respect for the rest of the KJ's out there trying to make a decent living for themselves and their families! So keep pace on the pay with the other KJ's...we all need to stick together! Anyone will take advantage of you, if you let them!
Okay...here are some suggestions and ways that I've acquired gigs. For Sunday thru Thursday's I'll pitch the owner that I will do 3 hours for $150.00, then if the customers want me to stay, I do a Pay-to-Play, where I charge them (the customers) $5.00 a song, for over-time. (Remember the 80's where the Roxy started to make the Bands "Pay-to-Play")? Anyways...you have to learn and estimate where to cut off your list (around 30 to 60 minutes depending on how long the list is) and make announcements as to when your show is officially over and the Pay-to-Play begins (so they don't get mad because they already put their name on the list or turned in their slip). So it's $150.00 for 3 hours...then go to over-time, where you will make up what you deserve to earn. Then, over time, depending on how you promote...your show should acquire a good following and you can ask for a $25-$50 raise (still for the 3 hours) and still do the over-time! I can come home with $250.00 plus on a week night!
On week-end (Fri. & Sat.), I charge $250.00/4hrs. However, just starting a new gig...tell the owner your $250.00 price, then suggest something better for them (people always like a deal).... such as $200.00 for a 3 1/2 hour show... then tell them you do this Pay-to-Play thing, where the customers pay you to stay....The owner no longer has to pay you any more money, the Bar is still making money, you (the KJ) is making money and everybody's happy! When it gets real busy, then you can ask for a raise there!
Promote alot, so you can get the Following!!!! That's your Amo.
Note: In order for it to work, you must really establish the Pay-to-Play thing with your customers. Let them know it's coming and at what time you change over! Just remember the more people you let sing beyond where you start the Pay-to-Play, you're just cutting into your own profit!
Also, you can charge whatever you choose for over-time. In the beginning (over 10 years ago), I charged $3.00 a song. Be patient and nice....if you choose to do it.....
It works Great for me!
Best wishes to you All!!!!!!
Debbi

P.S. Private Party's are $150.00 to $250.00 per hour, depending on how many people, distance, stairs, just DJ, or DJ/KJ, etc. I may have to bring more equipment than most party's and also pay my help! Wedding's start... for the very basic... at $695.00 on up!

Last edited by Debbi; June 9th, 2008 at 04:06 AM.
Old June 14th, 2008, 11:23 AM

thanks

Thank you for the post debbie
Old June 14th, 2008, 04:19 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks Debbie I'm new to this. This has helped to determine what is a fair amount to charge.

Hawkman
Old June 14th, 2008, 06:23 PM

Smile Charge The Singers?

I guess I don't understand why you would charge the patrons instead of the venue.......They are making money because the people want to more music and are willing to stay there and spend more money...I realize karaoke is different all over.. just trying to understand it...We do things a little bit different around here although it is a smaller venue area for us.. usually offer the venue first time deal and if they want to book again.. they know your real asking price.. but around here the venues are very generous if they make more money.. so if i charge $200 that is for the entire 4 hours of the show... but if i go into a venue that have other kj's or dj's there I generally charge the same price...as far as the cut off list.. depending on how many singers I generally allow about 20 min to 1/2 hour cut off... It's cool to hear from other kj's and how they do things.. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbi View Post
Hi, Everyone...I'm in Southern California...been doing shows for 17 years and always being very particular about my sound system and equipment... and by always updating the library... has acquired me quite a following! Here are a few suggestions...First have faith in yourself, you're worth the money!...And have the respect for the rest of the KJ's out there trying to make a decent living for themselves and their families! So keep pace on the pay with the other KJ's...we all need to stick together! Anyone will take advantage of you, if you let them!
Okay...here are some suggestions and ways that I've acquired gigs. For Sunday thru Thursday's I'll pitch the owner that I will do 3 hours for $150.00, then if the customers want me to stay, I do a Pay-to-Play, where I charge them (the customers) $5.00 a song, for over-time. (Remember the 80's where the Roxy started to make the Bands "Pay-to-Play")? Anyways...you have to learn and estimate where to cut off your list (around 30 to 60 minutes depending on how long the list is) and make announcements as to when your show is officially over and the Pay-to-Play begins (so they don't get mad because they already put their name on the list or turned in their slip). So it's $150.00 for 3 hours...then go to over-time, where you will make up what you deserve to earn. Then, over time, depending on how you promote...your show should acquire a good following and you can ask for a $25-$50 raise (still for the 3 hours) and still do the over-time! I can come home with $250.00 plus on a week night!
On week-end (Fri. & Sat.), I charge $250.00/4hrs. However, just starting a new gig...tell the owner your $250.00 price, then suggest something better for them (people always like a deal).... such as $200.00 for a 3 1/2 hour show... then tell them you do this Pay-to-Play thing, where the customers pay you to stay....The owner no longer has to pay you any more money, the Bar is still making money, you (the KJ) is making money and everybody's happy! When it gets real busy, then you can ask for a raise there!
Promote alot, so you can get the Following!!!! That's your Amo.
Note: In order for it to work, you must really establish the Pay-to-Play thing with your customers. Let them know it's coming and at what time you change over! Just remember the more people you let sing beyond where you start the Pay-to-Play, you're just cutting into your own profit!
Also, you can charge whatever you choose for over-time. In the beginning (over 10 years ago), I charged $3.00 a song. Be patient and nice....if you choose to do it.....
It works Great for me!
Best wishes to you All!!!!!!
Debbi

P.S. Private Party's are $150.00 to $250.00 per hour, depending on how many people, distance, stairs, just DJ, or DJ/KJ, etc. I may have to bring more equipment than most party's and also pay my help! Wedding's start... for the very basic... at $695.00 on up!
Old June 14th, 2008, 10:53 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleekaraoke View Post
I guess I don't understand why you would charge the patrons instead of the venue.......They are making money because the people want to more music and are willing to stay there and spend more money...I realize karaoke is different all over.. just trying to understand it...We do things a little bit different around here although it is a smaller venue area for us.. usually offer the venue first time deal and if they want to book again.. they know your real asking price.. but around here the venues are very generous if they make more money.. so if i charge $200 that is for the entire 4 hours of the show... but if i go into a venue that have other kj's or dj's there I generally charge the same price...as far as the cut off list.. depending on how many singers I generally allow about 20 min to 1/2 hour cut off... It's cool to hear from other kj's and how they do things.. thanks
I think Debi's charging to sing was for overtime where the bar won't pay. If you can do it without P'ing off your customers I say more power to ya. That wouldn't work to well in my neck of the woods but everywhere is different.

When I run overtime (most everynight), I try to make a point of mentioning that "the bar stops paying me at 1am but I'm gonna try and get these last songs..." etc etc, hoping someone would be inclined to tip because I'm working for free. Rarely works but hope springs eternal
Old June 15th, 2008, 01:38 AM

Smile Pay To Play....

Hey, guys....it's me, Debbi....I do start the pay-to-play after my official
time with the club is over. It's a good insentive to get the gig in the first place, because most club owners don't want to pay more money. So when you explain it to them, be sure to re-assure them that when you stay over-time, the Bar (the Owner) no longer has to pay you....the customers will pay for you to stay...."You Pay, I Stay".....and usually by the end of the night they're drunk enough to want to keep going! Also, re-assure the Bar owner that the Bar will continue to make money, too, when they stay! They (the customers) don't go to their jobs and work for free, so why would you want to give away your time and usage of hard earned equipment for free? It may take a little time to establish what you're doing! You could start with $3.00 a song...or whatever you choose.
It works great for me....been doing it for over 10 years....and I've made
a whole lot more money by it! Best of luck to you all!!!!!
Old June 15th, 2008, 05:51 AM

that would so not fly here..

5$ a song.. that 2 beers..LOL I make 100-150 durring the week and 200 on a friday or saturday.

Some bars I hve a scale
100$ if the tape is under 500$
125 if its is under 600
and 150 if its under 1000
and 200 if its over..

on a wek night my avg is 620-660

Its hard enough to ge NW Indiana into karaoke in the smaller towns and this has become hip hop .. play the most discusting song possible area

I seriously have thought of moving
Old June 15th, 2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbi View Post
You Pay, I Stay".....!!!!

I've never seen this done in Florida. You must be the only karaoke show in town because where I go the people would leave for the next karaoke show down the street rather than pay for it.
Old June 15th, 2008, 03:44 PM

Smile Pay in Bars....

Hey, I'm from Northwest Indiana, too....I grew up in Gary, Indiana, but been in California since 1974.....Anyways, I know what you mean about Hip Hop, yikes....And for the other post, in Florida....I've been doing Karaoke shows for 17 years and for over 10 years I've established the Pay-to-Play, so all of the customers are use to it. We have alot of Karaoke Bars out here in Southern California, but I think the reason they stay with me is because I'm particular about my sound and I have a hugh song selection, but mostly the sound. I was a singer in a Band in the 80's, so I try to make them all sound like they're in Concert...they like that....it
beats Hokey Pokey Karaoke! They tell me that the other Hosts don't EQ
the sound, or try to make them sound good...whereas I try to make them
sound the best that I can! I have fun with it and I love all of my singers,
they're great people!!!!
Best wishes to you all!!!!!
Old June 15th, 2008, 06:08 PM
VIP

I think Debbi's idea of pay-to-play is great. What's to lose by trying it. You're in overtime anyway, so if no one wants to pay, you lose nothing. On the other hand, if people do pay, you're already making more than you would have.

I often get people at the end of the night ask me if they can slip me $5 or $10 bucks to do one more song. I've always turned them down because I'm getting too old to keep going longer than four hours (I've been a DJ/KJ for almost 30 years), but for you young'ns out there, this is not a bad idea.

Any time you have an opportunity to increase your revenue with no down side, you'd be silly not to try it.

- Alan

Alan Ross

PRIMARY TEST MACHINE:
HP Compaq DC5100SFF
Windows XP Home SP3
Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz
2GB Ram
250G Hard Drive
Sound Device: SoundMax digital Audio
Old June 15th, 2008, 07:50 PM

Alan is right, don't be silly, try it!
Old June 16th, 2008, 12:21 AM

Thumbs up Pay To Play.....

You got the Ticket.........You guys are awesome.............
"SHOW ME THE MONEY"...........

Old June 16th, 2008, 12:31 AM

Smile Pay To Play....

Hey, guys.....Another few tips......When you're in Pay-To-Play, you can give away a few songs..... Maybe someone came late....throw them a free song.....Maybe someone helped collect more tips for you during the course of your night (I find someone to take my tip bowl around....especially if they like to sing and don't have much money for over-time), or collected your books for you, or whatever nice deed......give them a free song on over-time......If the over-time list is small, I'll sing another song to entice people to keep signing up...or if the list is done and there's more time before the Bar closes, then give someone who spends alot of money there, a free song. You'll learn to work it!!!!!
Show Me The Money ......and have fun doing it!!!!!
Best Wishes Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old June 16th, 2008, 04:12 PM

dont get me wrong

I am SOOOO not knocking it. I Love the idea but I have always been the nice guy and after 1pm played for free since the way I am set up is the register makes money I make money..on a scale (see above post)

If anything I am jealous that I wish I could do it. But like I mentioned every KJ or wanna be out here would have my ass HUNG if I did this.

I got a guy with almost my exact library casue he coppied my external hard drive when he worked for me. He stay late for free.. and people use this against al of us.

All the time I hear.. . Bump me up so and so would or Do this or I will go across the street to the other guys show.. I have no way of breaking what has been done in that town.. or this area..

Out here it seems like karaoke is a self centered, look at me, Im the best i shoud be on american idol show down... No one does it for fun... I try to jee my shows light an fun.. I do whats caled new **** night... I do the first song of the night (to make sure the system is right) and I say ok folks this is my new **** night song.. some people like it casue it is a chance to try something they never had courage before..cause it new **** night.."Its new and we expect it to sound like do do"...LOL but for 4 years I hav played over for free and changin now might be difficult.

I will definalty try it but maybe for 2$ a song. Shows are WAYYYYY Down right now... DUI Cops are INSANE and gas is 4.20 a gallon. I hope to make it throgh the next winter...

But I love the idea and will try it when I can! I have thought about moving... but no idea where. I have 3 systems and would like to get away from so much hip hop (I also sing country) Not a big hit round here..I ask for request and sometimes I get "I request no more country music" LOL jerks...

Rich
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:53 PM
VIP

If you've considered moving, research areas in The South. People are very pleasant here and Karaoke is as Country as it gets. Not that we don't have our share of Southern Rockers, Classic Rockers, Hip-Hoppers, Pop Idol Wannabes and Alternative singers, but if you can't sing Country music in The South, y'all can't sing it anywhere.

Alan Ross

PRIMARY TEST MACHINE:
HP Compaq DC5100SFF
Windows XP Home SP3
Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz
2GB Ram
250G Hard Drive
Sound Device: SoundMax digital Audio
Closed Thread