MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old April 16th, 2005, 07:13 PM

New install of Microstudio 2.61 on XP SP2 won't launch

Good Afternoon:

I've recently changed computers and have been re-installing the applications I'd had on the previous system. Vogone, KHP and Keyrite all installed and ran fine on the new box (only the 2nd one they've ever been copied to), but Microstudio returns an error as soon as its launched.

XP was had all updates applied prior to the install of the MTU apps.

Any ideas?
Old April 17th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Re: New install of Microstudio 2.61 on XP SP2 won't launch

Turn your computer off, them wait 10 seconds and turn it back on.

After Windows is running again, install Microstudio 2.610 by Upgrade and see it that solves the problem.

There is no known reason you should have a problem.
Old April 17th, 2005, 06:09 PM

After trying a bunch of things (i.e. disable firewall, set BIOs back to stock, stand only on left foot while launching, removing all MTU software and installing only Microstudio) it occurred to me to try an old MacOS troubleshooting trick... try running the app with no system extensions (aka services). So I fired up XP in "Safe Mode" and sure enough Microstudio lauched just fine. I couldn't see most of the screen and it wouldn't detect my external 708 (no firewire drivers), but it told me that the software works... just not with a full XP install.

Now the big task of finding out which service or dll or god knows what is causing the conflict.

Attached is the text that M$ debugger wants to send out. Perhaps it would be meaningful to someone who might be able to offer some insight.

Tks

Jayson

For what its worth Microstudio ran fine under XP Home with the same burner.
Old April 18th, 2005, 02:15 PM

Jayson,
Try removing your Firewire drive and see if the program will open.

Also Run all of the WindowsUpdates from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com using Custom and see if this fixes it.
Old April 20th, 2005, 12:25 AM

Well I'm pretty much stumped.

If I set Microstudio to run in Win95 or Win98/ME compatiblity mode it will run, but refuses to detect any drives. Never mind if they support CD+G or not its as if no optical devices are connect to the system. OK for previewing songs, but not so good for making complations.

IEvery Windows XP update has been applied (including those for software I don't use e.g Outlook Express).

I've used the device manager to "uninstall" my firewire card, usb devices, pretty much everything, but the video and sound cards.

I've disabled all the services (that I could before Windows wouldn't run) and I've enabled all of them (including ones I've no use for like the iPod services).

Maybe I'll think of something else.
Old April 20th, 2005, 10:33 AM

Search your computer for wnaspint.dll. This should be located in the c:\Windows\System32 directory. Rename the file to wnaspint.old. Then try Microstudio in the Normal Mode, not Win 95 or 98. If it opens, then the problem is that your computer does not like our ASPI driver. You will then have to go get the Adaptec Drivers and see if you can make them work, I have had problems lately with the Adaptec drivers working correctly with external drives.

You could also make sure that you have all the latest updated drivers for your motherboard, especially for the Chipset drivers.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the information on disabling the wnaspint.dll. That tweak has allowed Microstudio to launch without having to be in Win95/98/Me compatibility mode. This means no drive detection (not even the plain old not CD+G compatible drive is listed) and the latest ASPI drivers from Adaptec's site (v4.71.2) made no difference. I toggled between "Use default driver" and "Use the MTU installed driver" from the "Tools" menu (restarting the app each time) to set the app to use a different one.

Keep in mind that at this point I'm not even trying to get Microstudio to detect my Plextor Firewire drive (which hasn't been connected during this foolishness). I'd like to see the software performing its basic function of detecting my vanilla IDE CD-ROM before moving on to trouble shooting issues with the external device. I'd expect that if the CD driver issue is resolved there won't be any problems with the Firewire device.

At this point I have an XP Pro SP2 system with all of Microsoft's posted updates onto which only Office 2000, Nero 6 (deleted during all this troubleshooting) and MicroStudio have ever been installed. All hardware drivers (MB BIOs and chipset, video, NIC, sound, et al drivers) were updated before any applications were loaded. All in all this was a "clean" install.

I'm still open to ideas or suggestions, but I'm guessing that I'm S.O.L and that my only option is to reinstall MicroStudio on the laptop I'd been using it on in order to actually burn complication disks.
Old April 25th, 2005, 01:25 PM

Slacker,
Did you Install the Adaptec drivers using the Dos commands? This is what is stated in the Solution #2 on how to do it under XP. It is located here if you didn't read it: http://mtu.com/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=23&c=1

You are correct, your IDE drive should at least show up, stating NO if your drivers are working. It almost seems as if you have something that is damaged on your system.