MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old April 28th, 2006, 09:34 AM

It's a NEW project

You start a new project, then add your wav. (There is an "Add Music" button)

Of course, if you burn a cd with the wave, all you need to do is import the track from the burned cd in Microstudio as .Bin or .cdg
Old April 28th, 2006, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahern
You start a new project, then add your wav.
That step doesn't matter if it's a new project, only if you want to open an existing project or create a new project using a saved template do you need to go through FILE.

George
Old April 28th, 2006, 10:50 AM

Why pick at me?

I said "you start a new project". I didn't say what buttons to push (except that adding the music, once the project is started is the ADD MUSIC button). As a quick response to Songbird, I wanted to emphasize that turning a wave to cdg with KHPRO did not involve "Open"ing the wave file. There are other ways to get the desired CDG file. (Burning a cd and then importing the track as cdg), but in the interest of not making throwaway discs, I'm trying to help, using the KHPRO method, which I have used on several occasions.
Old April 28th, 2006, 10:56 AM

Perhaps I misread what you meant by "start a new project" . That gave the impression of a step that has do be done when all you have to do is open KHP and start adding files, which I covered in my post to SONGBIRD.

George
Old April 28th, 2006, 01:19 PM

Haste makes boo boos (my bad)

There are two methods and at first glance when I looked at your response to Songbird I thought you were addressing one. I thought that I was addressing the other. My error in not fully reading your response.
Old April 28th, 2006, 01:54 PM

No problem here.

Hope you're getting along o.k.

Take care,

George
Old April 28th, 2006, 05:20 PM

SONGBIRD,

Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees. My apologies.

I got focused on converting a WAV file to CDG on the hard drive, and something's been nagging at me all day . Light bulb just came on.

As you've seen from other posts, all you have to do to convert a CD .WAV track to CDG is import it to the hard drive as a CDG, then burn it to a disc and it will play as a cdg.

Well....If you don't mind wasting a cd, or if you have a CDRW(re-writable cd) then go to Microstudio CUSTOM ASSEMBLY, select the .WAV file and burn it to a cd.

Then go to Microstudio IMPORT and import the.WAV file back to the hard drive making sure to have CDG selected as IMPORT FILE TYPE, not .wav.

The new file now is a cdg file you can mix with regular cdg's and burn to a cd.

Much, much simpler if you don't mind a wasted cd, or have a CDRW.

Take care,

George
Old April 29th, 2006, 11:59 PM

None of these things are working!

I cannot get this "sound effects" wave file into a CDG file- NO WAY - NO HOW!!!
In Karaoke Pro I have clicked on ADD MUSIC and NEW PROJECT. My file comes up as a .wav file just fine. BUT "Export to CDG" is not highlighted so I cannot use that option. I tried "save as" and it saves it as a Karaoke Pro Project .KPR What good does that do me?
In Microstudio I have tried to import this .wav file and it does not show up on my hard drive [doesn't matter if I select Import tracks as CDG or WAVE]!
Under custom assembly it does show up on my hard drive as .wav if I select Audio under "select disk format" It must have something to do with the fact that this is a "sound effect" (for a schoolbell) that I downloaded from a FREE sound effects web site - I don't know - maybe that's the problem.
AT ANY RATE . . .
I HAVE OFFICIALLY GIVEN UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 30th, 2006, 08:29 AM

SONGBIRD,

Re: the first solution, the EXPORT TO CDG will not activate untill you complete all the steps I outlined.

Re: the second solution, if the file shows up under CUSTOM ASSEMBLY, then burn it to a disc, then IMPORT that file back to the hard drive as a CDG.

Doesn't sound like you've completed either process.

There's a way to see if the file is a valid .wav file before you do anything else.

Right click on the file then select PROPERTIES, then SUMMARY.

If it reads as a 16 bit rate, 44mhz audio sample rate file, then it is a valid WAV file and you are close to success.

George

Last edited by George; April 30th, 2006 at 08:36 AM.
Old April 30th, 2006, 09:20 AM

Did You Make a Disc?

The Microstudio Method involves actually making a Disc First with your wave file.

Then you import the track as a CDG. It has to be from a disc, and your CD-rom needs to be able to Read CDG.

As George is saying, it sounds like the problems you are having with the KHPRO method might have to do with the wave file not being the right type. Do you have software like Goldwave (http://www.goldwave.com ) which can help you with file conversions?
Old April 30th, 2006, 08:42 PM

Some Further Experimentation and Success

I looked for a short file on the internet likely to be like SONGBIRD'S sound effects file.

"Eat my road grit, liver lips" says Chevy Chase in some Vacation movie. (2 seconds)

Even after I converted it, I ran into the walls that SONGBIRD is saying.
(I suspect that the length of the file is a problem for both KHPRO and Microstudio) I believe that 5 seconds or more is necessary.

I made a disc, using other software.

I extracted a "CDG" file in microstudio

I played the "CDG" file in Microstudio play. Microstudio clips files short as it plays them, so I didn't hear "Liver Lips!"; I changed the extension to Bin and other Karaoke software played the file all the way through, as a Bin file

I tried to burn the file using Microstudio but once again, no Luck

Bottom Line
I don't think that short sound effects files will be burnable as CDGs, no matter the bit rate, but they can be made into file's playable with other Karaoke files on the computer.

My next step will be to add time to a short file, and see what happens.

To Be Continued.........

Last edited by jahern; April 30th, 2006 at 08:47 PM.
Old May 5th, 2006, 01:12 AM

Thumbs up Jahern Thanks for trying!!!

Jahern,
It sounds like you tried everything! Thanks for your efforts! I agree that it must have something to do with a short sound effect. My solution is to give my CD with all the songs on it [in CDG format] to the sound guys for our little musical and have my jam-box up front near the stage with the school bell "sound effect" CD in it. I'll just hit it when needed. PROBLEM SOLVED!!! Thanks again to everyone for all your help. BTW, I have been using Vogone to make some of my own karaoke songs for this show and it is working GREAT! I AM SO THRILLED WITH IT! I've been a professional singer for 30 years and have been wishing for something like this forever!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks again to everyone. This is the BEST help site for people like me who are fumbling around not knowing half of what we should!!!!
Old May 6th, 2006, 01:01 PM

My last(?) results

I understand that Songbird has found the best solution for Songbird. Good Luck with your show.

I still have a few results that I think might be of interest.

I created two short sound effects files as CDG as follows:

1. I took a 2 second wave from the internet, added 3 seconds to it and made sure that it was 44mhz, 16 bit stereo. I had a 5 to 6 second wave file.

2. In Khpro I followed the steps and imported to cdg. (There is a graphic)

Without my wishing it, KHPRO added about a 3 second lead in, which of course is no problem for singing a song, but is unsatisfactory for an immediate sound effect. The final CDG file was about 9 seconds long.

Microstudio had no problem playing the file

3. I created a disc of the wave file, and in Microstudio imported the track as CDG. (There is no graphic)

I had a 5 second "CDG" file

The sound was immediate when played by Microstudio, but afterward the program wanted to shut down. (The file was still too short?)

Both files burned onto a karaoke disc. Playback using normal audio cd player software was similar to play back of the files. Player software still took a little time to cue up the tracks. Microstudio took several seconds to cue up the songs on disc as Karaoke.

Not sure what the need is for a cdg sound effect.
If on the same cd one wanted to show karaoke songs and also slip in a sound effect or two. Otherwise, life would probably be simpler keeping these things on separate discs.