MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old December 27th, 2010, 01:16 AM

Need advice on mixer for laptop

I went through this about a year ago and some of you were able to help me get this thing going. I was able to order a Soundblaster mixer and get it to work under Vista.

I now have Windows 7, I have lost the file that enabled it to work under Vista and I am willing to just forget the whole thing and buy something new that does work.

I am not a KJ. I want to use my laptop for occasional home parties. I haven't used it in about a year. I am running Hoster Lite.

It would be appreciated if somebody could steer me in the direction of a reasonably priced mixer that would enable me to hook up a mic to my laptop and have all the sound come out on a TV screen.

Thanks,

Alan
Old December 27th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Need advice on mixer for laptop

Have a look at this one:
http://www.acekaraoke.com/acesonic-k...interface.html

This is only an idea for a cheap mixer, I don't have any knowledge of it's use.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old December 27th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

I moved this to Singers & Hosts Wisdom as it is not a question about Hoster itself.
Old December 28th, 2010, 01:15 AM

Roy,

Thanks for your advice. I checked the site and it appears to fit my needs exactly-except that the ad says that it is for XP and Vista only. I know that what runs on Vista will usually run on Windows 7 also-but to be sure I sent an E mail to ACE.

So far, no reply. Hope it works-because this item sure seems to fill the bill for me.

Thanks Again,

Al North
Old December 28th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Super Moderator

Have you tried the Soundblaster web page to see if they have a file to make the mixer work under Windows 7?
Old December 28th, 2010, 02:25 AM

I have previously tried contacing Creative. They said that my mixer was obsolete and though they tried to help me, nothing worked-so I am willing to just get something new and not have to keep bothering people about it.

The unit that Roy Denniks suggested seems to be perfect for me-if it will work under Windows 7. I am still waiting for a reply from Ace.

I may call them tomorrow if I don't get an E mail reply.
Old December 28th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

If that one is not compatible with Windows 7 as you have to load drivers in for it. I have found this one from Beringer, Approx $65 and you wouldn't have to load any software in for it to work, just use your Audio out or headphone out socket plugged in to the mixer and take the left & right audio out from that to your TV or HI-Fi.
Again you would have to do your own research on it as I am just trying to point you in the right direction.
Details here from behringer site:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/MIX800.aspx

You would have to Google it for best price in US but I found this one:
http://www.audiosavings.com/products...RB/MIX800.aspx
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Looking again at the Acesonic, you should still be able to connect to your computer via the audio out or headphone socket as it has:
One RCA Audio Input - Connect your music source from a PC, IPod, MP4 Player, or DVD Player.
One RCA Audio Output - Connect music output to your TV, home theater, or stereo system.

The USB connection would be the part that may not be compatible with Windows 7, this would mean the recording feature would not work but still seems good value to me.
Old December 28th, 2010, 04:01 PM

Roy,

Thanks for taking the time and interest to research this; I finally got a written reply from Ace that the KM 112 does work under Window 7 and for the price, it also includes a mic and cable-and I will order it today. They are in Los Angeles which is only about 300 miles from the Vegas area where I live-so shipping should not take too long.

When I get it, I'll let you know how it works.

You made things easy for me and I appreciate it.

Al North
Old December 28th, 2010, 04:16 PM

I called Ace because their new update specifies 'Windows 7 32 bit' and I have a 64 bit system on my laptop.

Sales doesn't know if the KM 112 will work on a 64 bit processor. I submitted a 'ticket' for their technical dept to let me know.

So--we'll wait and see.
Old December 28th, 2010, 04:57 PM

i'm kinda comfused, are you looking for a soundcard or a mixer( soundboard )? if it's a mixing board, i myself use a Mackie Profx8, ( comes with a traction software that has to be downloaded, only if you need it ) it has a usb port where you can plug in your laptop, it has effects, etc.i also have 2 Mackie DFX 6 And a 12.. warning though when using the usb, turn your volume all the way down, before playing a song, it tends to get so loud, and turn it up slowly..i've been using these mixing boards for sometine now and never had a problem with it..