MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Closed Thread

Old January 6th, 2002, 09:42 AM

Question Should My TDK AI 24-10-40 B RW Work For CD+G?

I have just bought a TDK Cyclone 24-10-40B on the basis that their web sight specs say it fully suppports CD+G and CD-XA (Mode 2 Form1/Form2) which I believe to be relevent; http://www.tdk-europe.com/cyclone/uk...ns/index.html. I have also rung their tech help line and they again say the hardware fully supports CD+G, you just have to find software that matches the hardware. I have tried the demo from MTU plus also CDRWin, neither of which recognise the drive as a reader or writer of CD+G. Does anyone know if this drive should work, if so with what software?
Thanks, Garry.
Old January 6th, 2002, 12:20 PM

SOFTWARE PROBLEMS

I CAN'T UNDERSTAND THAT A COMPANY WILL SELL A PERSON A PRODUCT AND SAY THAT IT WORKS, BUT THEY CAN'T BACK IT UP.
THEY SAY IT WILL WORK FOR CDG'S BUT THEY TELL YOU THAT YOU WILL HAVE TO SEARCH FOR THE SOFTWARE. TOO BAD YOU DIDN'T CHECK WITH MTU. FIRST. IF MTU SAYS IT WILL WORK THEN IT WILL WORK AND IF IT DON'T WORK THEY WILL GET IT TO WORK.
MTU HAS ALWAYS BEEN THERE FOR ME.
Old January 6th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Thumbs down You have the definitive answer already

Microstudio automatically detects all CDROM/CDR drives installed in your computer. Then, it queries each drive as to whether it can read and write the required CDG format. If a drive answers back that it CANNOT do CDG, then Microstudio DOES NOT show it in the Reading Drive or Writing Drive list boxes when Karaoke or CDG is selected. The actual drive tells Microstudio what it IS capable of. Microstudio cannot overcome a hardware deficiency in the drive.

In spite of what you have been told, your drive is NOT capable of reading or writing the CDG format.

The demo you are running is Microstudio 2.312. We are currently shipping version 2.314 that has a Detect Drives button. This displays a window listing all CDROM/CDR drives found on your computer and if they are Karaoke and Audio capble. This allows you to see that Microstudio is really detecting your drives, even if they do not appear in the Drives list boxes for Karaoke or CDG operations.
Old January 6th, 2002, 08:51 PM

the tdk righter does work with the new vresion of micro studio please be pataint
Old January 7th, 2002, 04:32 PM

This is the actual drive
Marketed as:TDK VeloCD 24x
Manufacturer: SANYO CDRW241040
Shows under Device Mnager as: CDRW241040X

This drive shouldn't support Karaoke, even though TDK states on their website that it does.
Old January 7th, 2002, 10:06 PM

THIS COULD BE THE SAME PIT TRAP I GOT CAUGHT UP IN A YEAR OR SO AGO WITH AN ACER DRIVE THAT WAS ADVERTISED ON THEIR WEBSITE AS SUPPORTING KARAOKE. IT ALL BOILED DOWN TO THEM HIDING BEHIND THE BROAD TERM "KARAOKE" WHEN IN FACT THEY DO NOT SUPPORT KARAOKE IN CDG FORM BUT DO SUPPORT KARAOKE IN VCD FORM. THEY WOULDN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT BECAUSE THEY SAID THEY WERE 'TECHNICALLY CORRECT", EVEN THOUGH THE NATURAL ASSUMPTION ON THE PUBLIC'S PART WHEN SEEING THE WORD "KARAOKE" IS THAT THEY MEAN CDG, THE POPULAR KARAOKE FORM. THEIR SUPPORT PEOPLE KEPT SENDING ME SOFTWARE AND REFERRING ME TO OTHER SOFTWARE COMPANIES. FINALLY GOT TO TALK TO THEIR ENGINEER WHO "STRAIGHTENED ME OUT". CUTE HUH?

SO IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE TDK DRIVE SUPPORTS KARAOKE, BUT NOT IN CDG FORMAT.

TAKE CARE,

GEORGE
Old January 8th, 2002, 12:21 PM

Thanx George, but they do actually say CG+g in their spec. I can't seem to get it to work.
Old January 8th, 2002, 12:37 PM

This may be grabbing at straws, but have you gone to their website and downloaded the latest drivers for your burner?
Dunno, just fishing.

Take care,

George
Old January 8th, 2002, 01:00 PM

Firmware

Yes George, the drive is very new and is shipped with the latsest version of their firmware, Thanks.
Old January 8th, 2002, 01:03 PM

Ansul101

Hey Ansul 101, have you tried this drive with the new version of micro studio?
Old January 8th, 2002, 08:53 PM

TDK 241040x

My writer does not work with mtu but it does work with other progams that are out there like clone cd so maby microstudio should re do there drivers and it works with other programs to serch the net for clone cd
Old January 13th, 2002, 05:51 AM

Unhappy TDK Cyclone 24-10-40B

The new TDK Cyclone 24-10-40B WR drive does not work even with the new version of Micr Studio. As previously mentioned, the drive does support the CD+G format, but not with either MTU software or CDRWin. Clone CD & DiscJuggler both work with this drive so that proves that. It seems that through all their help, (thanks for the latest version for test) it's not that some of these drives do not support CD+G, it's that the software does not support these drives. If these were small, never heard of drive manufacturers, you might expext this. But with the likes of TDK, new Yamaha's, and even some Sony drives (they used to be one of the best for CD+G), you think that a suitable driver could be written to enable the support. After all small companies like Clone CD & DiskJuggler can manage it. I know that these are more simplistic programs, only capable of disk and image copy, not track extraction, but as they say, a good program's crap without the right drivers. Sorry MTU and GoldenHawk, but a lot of people rely on your software, and if you can't keep up with the hardware, you'll lose out in the long run.
Old January 13th, 2002, 08:44 AM

I don't believe a carte blanc statement like that can be made. Not after I was told by an engineer at Acer that Acer does not and never would support CDG. (That may change when Acer realizes the market potential they're passing up, but that was their position at the time.)Their Karaoke format is VCD. This would indicate that the formatting of the drive is also a determining factor. If the brand name on the drive is not the manufacturer, and that brand changes manufacturers then it could easily be a situation where some of the particular brand will do CDG and some won't. At least that's another opinion.

Take care,

George
Old January 13th, 2002, 09:05 AM

I do take your point George, but the fact of the matter is, I have a TDK drive. They say it's hardware FULLY supports CD+G. The only people who don't are MTU & Golden Hawk. I've proved it can by using Clone CD & DiskJuggler. Therefore it's down to MTU & GH to update their program so it can support what I think is mainly an incompatabilty with Sanyo's Burnproof technology. If a brand changes manufacturer and still swears that their drive supports CD+G, which it does, MTU & GH seem to sit on thier all concouring software package and it's them that make the carte blanc statement of 'this drive does not write CD+G'. Any confusion with VCD is completly irrelivent. As far as I am aware virually any CDRW can copy VCD's with very common software without any problems at all.
Old January 13th, 2002, 02:50 PM

I don't think confusion with VCD can be considered irrevelant in the case of Acer (certainly a major burner manufacturer)who advertises "KARAOKE" compatability but in fact do not support CDG which is the most popular form of Karaoke, and is what one would assume they mean when they claim Karaoke compatability. I think the industry, MTU included, should be more specific and quit kicking the broad term Karaoke around. I've seen several instances where MTU has said this or that drive doesn't support Karaoke, but they may be wrong in the sense that the drive may support the VCD format of Karaoke. That's what I was eluding to. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Take care,

George
Old January 13th, 2002, 04:52 PM

tdk 241040x

I have the tdk and i called and talked to there teck and he told me that the drive does support kareoke and there are three programs out there right now that will read them on my drive he told me that some programs use exsisting drives and they do not right there own drives like clone cd and disk juggler do maby they should start spending a little more time developing there hardware
Old January 25th, 2002, 01:15 AM

TDK Velo 241040

The Velo CD Writer (241040B) that I have installed on my system will read and write CD+G format via CloneCD software. If this works, shouldn't Microstudio work as well? I had a TDK Velo 16x drive that worked fine, but when it died I got a 24x. Now it will not work with Microstudio (version 2.314). Can somebody please help?

A.J. Porter
http://ajporter.net
Closed Thread