MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old August 8th, 2003, 07:34 PM
VIP

Install: windows want to know what created file

I don't know if this is a microstudio problem, an XP problem or a computer operator problem but hopefully someone can help.

When I click on the file to install (download.php) I get a windows box telling me it can't open the file without knowing what program created it.

Anybody know where I missed the boat?

Thanks.
Sam
Old August 8th, 2003, 10:46 PM

Question Download.PHP?

Sam,

Where did you get the file download.php?

This is not an executable file on its own. PHP has many uses, it is an open source, server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language used to create dynamically generated Web pages and other applications, including dynamic libraries.

Does MicroStudio have a file called “Download.PHP?”

Regards,

Jon
Old August 9th, 2003, 12:17 AM

The file you should be clicking on to install Microstudio would for example be Microstudio2400.exe(assumimg it is version 2,400). Substitute the correct numbers for the version(Microstudio2315.exe, etc).

This file should be found at c:\program files\Micro Technology Unlimited\Microstudioxxxx.exe if you saved it to the default directory.

Hope this helps,
George
Old August 9th, 2003, 01:22 AM
VIP

Thanks for your responses.
This was what I recieved when I tried to download microstudio.
Atually it was an upgrade to the 4 program suite and all four programs downloaded this way (vogone,khp,keyrite and microstudio). I just copied and pasted from the download instructions.

According to microsoft PHP opens with notepad, wich I tried and just got a lot of "gobblygook" along with some intelligble writing occasionally that would almost lead me to believe I got programming code instead of the program. some of the things I could read was: c++ library, install shield, there was a license agreement, and a warranty disclaimer along with a bunch of error messages

Perhaps there was a problem with the download site. Tomorrow maybe I'll risk losing another link and try again.

If anybody comes up with any other ideas please post.

Thanks.
Sam
Old August 9th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Frequent Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mindonstrike
Thanks for your responses.
This was what I recieved when I tried to download microstudio.
Atually it was an upgrade to the 4 program suite and all four programs downloaded this way (vogone,khp,keyrite and microstudio). I just copied and pasted from the download instructions.

According to microsoft PHP opens with notepad, wich I tried and just got a lot of "gobblygook" along with some intelligble writing occasionally that would almost lead me to believe I got programming code instead of the program. some of the things I could read was: c++ library, install shield, there was a license agreement, and a warranty disclaimer along with a bunch of error messages

Perhaps there was a problem with the download site. Tomorrow maybe I'll risk losing another link and try again.

If anybody comes up with any other ideas please post.

Thanks.
Sam
saw something about this on a post by either admin or mtusupport - try changing the .php to .exe using rename.
Old August 9th, 2003, 12:24 PM

It could work.

It could work.

I believe Sam received a bad download. You cannot open a PHP file with any word processor or acrobat. PHP is an extension of PEAR (PEAR is short for PHP Extension and Application Repository) a programming language based on “C”

It’s used for many applications, among them, Dynamic Libraries, Internet Software Delivery, Scripting, a system for code distribution and package maintenance and other applications too numerous to mention here.

Although I am not familiar with MTU programming, depending on the application, changing the PHP extension to EXE could work although most often than not, it doesn’t in those cases the original code most be amended and recompiled into an EXE file.

My recommendation to Sam is to try (in this order) 1. Danny_G’s suggestion, 2. To download the file again and 3. To contact MTU if he receives the same file.

In my opinion, Sam should not have a visible PHP extension, the extension should be .EXE.

Good luck,

Jon
Old August 9th, 2003, 02:02 PM
VIP

I tried Danny's suggestion with no results and I just tried to download once again and the "what do you want to do with this file" box came up saying that it opens with notepad.exe so I didn't download it.

I did notice the download link (which isn't a link - I have to cut and paste) reads
"http://www.mtu.com/download.php?sc=mtu&id=XXXXXXXXXXXX"
(I changed the numbers and letters at the end with X's for public viewing).

If somebody has a link they can compare this to and tell me how it should read in the middle, maybe I can add my code onto the end and make it work? Otherwise I'll wait until monday and contact Support.

Thanks again everyone.
Sam
Old August 9th, 2003, 04:03 PM

I don't believe it's the link, as it appears identical to the one below, which I copied and pasted from mine. Something must have corrupted it. Do you have a download accellerator installed? They are notorious for ruining downloads and using up the number of links available.

This is a link. You shouldn't have to copy and paste, simply click on it to go to the download page. Worth another try. You have 8 downloads per link, and I feel MTU will work with you if used up due to a fluke.

Fake Link Removed by MTUSUPPORT

Take care,
George
Old August 9th, 2003, 05:16 PM

Unhappy You may have to wait until Monday!

George,

Thank you for posting the download link.

Up until now, I have been addressing the problem strictly from Sam’s questions at the top of this thread, and never paid much attention to the link itself. As I said earlier, PHP is an extension of a programming language used for many things, among them, Internet Software Delivery.

By reading your recent post, which included the link address, I am close to 100% correct that this language is being used by MTU exactly for this purpose: For Internet Delivery of MTU Software.

I am afraid the only recourse Sam has, is to contact MTU directly on Monday, for a new download link as his current one appears to be corrupted or non-functional.

As always, MTU will work with him to solve his problem.

Best regards,

Jon
Old August 9th, 2003, 06:44 PM
VIP

Thanks

Thanks Guys for trying to help.
I guess Ill just stop fretting and wait until Monday to get this cleared up.

Thanks again.
Sam
Old August 9th, 2003, 07:39 PM

Sam,

I gotta be honest. I am at a total loss when you say that the download link is not a link, and you have to copy and paste. Copy and paste what and to where? It also appears you seem to be isolating the download.php portion of the link as the install file(see your first post). Please clarify.

We may be able to get at this yet.

Take care,
George
Old August 9th, 2003, 07:56 PM

Sam,

George and I may be on the same track, that's why I asked where he got the file "Download.PHP" to begin with.

If you click on the link, it should take to the download section at MTU website where you can then download the actual executable file.

Like George, I also don't understand the cut and paste bit. The only thing you should "copy and paste" is the serial number when appropriate.

Regards,

Jon
Old August 9th, 2003, 09:39 PM
VIP

Well it is a link, but not a clickable link

This is the link that came with my download instructions after purchasing the 4 program suite upgrade. The instructions say that if you can't click on it to cut and paste or type it into your web browser. So I cut and paste (or copy & paste).
After hitting ENTER I get a "no page to display" screen and then a dialog box asking me if I want to save file or open it. There's also a notation in the box that says it opens with notepad.exe . After telling it I want to save, another box opens with the file directory from my HD to select where I want to save it and the filename prefilled out going by "download.php" .
The first file I downloaded I accepted with that name, after that I added microstudio, vogone, and khp to it so it wouldn't overwrite the first file.

The first time I tried to install those downloaded file I got the error messages as noted at the top of this thread, now it opens with notepad giving me the screen full of some programing code, not even giving me the opportunity to use my serial number.
The links MTU supplied me with is exactly like the one I got a year and a half ago (except for the 12 digits at the end of the link) when I originally purchased these products
What should have been a simple operation I've done a hundred times, has been far from it.

Sam

Sam
Old August 9th, 2003, 10:13 PM

Sam,

I got the impression you were isolating the DOWNLOAD.PHP file and copying and pasting it by itself. My misunderstanding.

Beyond that I don't have a clue as to what's happening.

Take care,

George
Old August 9th, 2003, 10:25 PM

Sam,

Just for kicks, click on that link I posted. It should take you to a page that says the downloads have all been used up. That would be because it does not contain the numbers. I just am curious to see if your browser will process it.

If so, then you may have a bad link.

Take care
George
Old August 9th, 2003, 11:50 PM
VIP

Yes it says the links are all used up.

Actually before I purchased the upgrade, I tried to use the leftover links from when I originally purchased the Suite about a year and a half ago (had to copy and paste that as well) and got the same message, that the links were all used up.
MTU told me the link was only good for a year, hence purchasing the upgrade.

This is just too strange I'm sure it's something extremely simple I'm overlooking. Hopefully I'll find out Monday.

Thanks.
Sam
Old August 11th, 2003, 03:26 PM

Mindonstrike,
Are you using the netscape or Mozilla Browsers? If so this is what is causing your problem, for this download link to work you need to use Internet Explorer.

Try this and see what happens. If you are still having a problem, or if the link is used up, email dougd@mtu.com, and he should beable to help you get a new link.
Old August 11th, 2003, 05:54 PM
VIP

I figured it would end up being something simple

I don't know what kind of browser compuserve uses but using IE did the trick.
Thanks.
Sam
Old August 12th, 2003, 09:42 AM

Glad to hear that got you working.