MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old March 10th, 2010, 10:28 AM

Zip files

I know have 4.20

With all other versions of Hoster I could import zipped files and they would be created as KMA. Either I am confused (highly likely) or it seems that all I can do with Zip files is create KMH files.
Old March 10th, 2010, 10:38 AM
VIP

Re: Zip files

All you can do now is create a kmh file that corresponds to (points to) the corresponding zip file, while the zip file stays where it is or in a folder where you place them.

Old March 10th, 2010, 10:41 AM

That would mean I would have more than one folder, the kma folder that has all my karaoke songs and a new folder with some of my new karaoke songs (the ones I add as zip) I'm not sure if I like that.
Old March 10th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stublack View Post
That would mean I would have more than one folder, the kma folder that has all my karaoke songs and a new folder with some of my new karaoke songs (the ones I add as zip) I'm not sure if I like that.
You are correct, that is the way it is done now.
The reason behind this is to keep you from needing 2 full copies of the same song on the computer, taking up twice the hard drive space. You will get used to it. This is so you can use these files in other programs as well without needing 2 copies on your computer to do this.
Old March 10th, 2010, 11:20 AM
VIP

Quote:

I sorta didn't like it at first, either. What I do is store all my newly imported zip files in the same kma folder which will reside there with their (zip) corresponding kmh file. Everything is still in one folder where I know where they are.

Old March 10th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Honor Roll

Quote:
If you are worried about only using a single folder, you can copy the zips to the KMA folder and import from there. That way the Zip and the KMH will be right there with the rest of your KMAs. I think I would create a couple of sub folders within the Songs folder. One for Karaoke, One for Audio, and one for Videos. Then you can get an easy backup with a single drag, and still have them somewhat separated for maintenance and use in other programs.
Old March 10th, 2010, 11:33 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklwood View Post
If you are worried about only using a single folder, you can copy the zips to the KMA folder and import from there. That way the Zip and the KMH will be right there with the rest of your KMAs. I think I would create a couple of sub folders within the Songs folder. One for Karaoke, One for Audio, and one for Videos. Then you can get an easy backup with a single drag, and still have them somewhat separated for maintenance and use in other programs.

Yes, good idea.

Old March 10th, 2010, 11:38 AM

Thanks alot very good info
Old March 10th, 2010, 04:47 PM

So I rip a disk to MP3+CDG, zip the 15 tracks individually, move them to a folder, put it inside the KMA folder, then import them? The next time I rip a disk, I'm assuming I create another folder? That could end up with a lot of folders. I liked the old way better, but I understand some of the logic behind doing it this way........
Old March 10th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Are you ripping them to MP3+G for some reason? Why not just import them directly into Hoster from CD and create them as KMA files?
This thread is mainly dealing with zip files already owned or downloaded (hopefully legally). Best way is to create a sub-folder where your KMA files and keep all the zip files there in one folder rather than separate folders for each disc. Hoster will import MP3, WMA, MP3+G, WMA+G, ZIP, and all Videos this same way.
Old March 10th, 2010, 06:29 PM

I import mine from disk directly. However, some legal sources on the net make them available for purchase as mp3+g- such as Tricerasoft. Also, I have a Mac-based karaoke program that I am experimenting with and it prefers mp3+g format.
I don't mind making a folder to import the mp3+g files, but if I buy one or two songs, import them, a week later buy some more, etc I could end up with a lot of folders within my KMA folder. Or would I need to point at the files one at a time in the single "ZIP" folder? It would seem that Hoster could recognize if a file already had the associated kmh file, don't make it available for re-import?
Old March 10th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeter View Post
I import mine from disk directly. However, some legal sources on the net make them available for purchase as mp3+g- such as Tricerasoft. Also, I have a Mac-based karaoke program that I am experimenting with and it prefers mp3+g format.
I don't mind making a folder to import the mp3+g files, but if I buy one or two songs, import them, a week later buy some more, etc I could end up with a lot of folders within my KMA folder. Or would I need to point at the files one at a time in the single "ZIP" folder? It would seem that Hoster could recognize if a file already had the associated kmh file, don't make it available for re-import?
When you import from the hard drive there is a Hide Imported checkbox, so yes Hoster does not list those that are already imported.
You do not have to create a separate folder for them (unless you are referring to the ZIP folder as Microsoft shows them).
So if they are already MP3+G then why ZIP them? You can import them as MP3+G and it works the same way creating the KMH file to go with them. That way you Mac program can use them too without having to unzip them. And zipping an MP3+G does not save much more space than is already saved by the MP3 compression.
Old March 10th, 2010, 09:27 PM

Thanks-
Old April 12th, 2010, 03:50 PM

Are we 100% sure the hide imported files checkbox is working in the latest version? I have mine checked and it still shows all the imported MP3+G zip filed that have already been imported once when I go to import a new song.

I did check and there are KMH files in the folder for every ZIP file is there and that was imported except the two new ones I was going to add.

I will recheck when I can get to my show computer today to verify. But thought I woud ask ahead of time.
Geforce 8800GT Video
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Try unchecking and rechecking the box to see if that shortens your list. As far as I know it is working.
Old April 12th, 2010, 06:09 PM

I can see the logic behind this with regard to music and video files where they are used by other programs but, at least in my case, karaoke files are only played through Hoster. My solution has been to batch convert to .bin through songverter then import as KMA.
Old April 12th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

There are some who use their zip files in other programs and this is why they went that way. Personally I don't use zip files anyway so not a problem for me.
Old April 27th, 2010, 01:30 AM

Does it take less hard drive space to have your bin files zipped and create KMH files, then to just go ahead and import discs like normal to KMA?
Old April 27th, 2010, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Does it take less hard drive space to have your bin files zipped and create KMH files, then to just go ahead and import discs like normal to KMA?
You can't import BIN files from within ZIP. Only MP3+G can be imported that way.
Old April 27th, 2010, 04:26 PM

I have software that converts bin files to CD+G and MP3 and zip at the same time.

One step from Bin to Zip.

I just want to know if this would take less hard drive space to do this, it may take too much time to be worth it, but if it saves a lot of storage space it may be worth it

Thanks, Stu