MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old May 4th, 2004, 05:25 PM

Marketing myself-Private Parties

I know a place that rents an ordinary karaoke machine and a set of discs for $75 dollars a day. I assume that most times, the whole use of this arrangement is for an evening party.

I have a set of discs perhaps twenty times as large and my sound equiment is good quality home stereo; much better than the typical Karaoke machine. I also have key-changing ability, not available on the machine. Although my equipment doesn't look like the high class DJ setup, I've used my equipment several times at my church and the sound fills the hall nicely.

I figure that I could go to parties, run the show and charge $80 to $100 dollars. I'm not talking about having a gig at a club, just stepping up this bare rental price.

Does anybody do this already? Do you have to put out a lot of personality? How do you advertise. Are you usually outdoors?

Any ideas are welcome. I feel with experience I would eventually start upgrading equipment and boosting prices, start DJing but is there a market for what I described?

(When I ask about personality, I'm just wondering if parties want a big ham or someone who keeps the songs coming)
Old May 4th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Honor Roll

I think it would be hard to promote yourself to the extent needed and still be able to charge the low prices you're talking about. In order to 'get the word out' to those seeking it, you would most likely have to get a yellow pages listing under 'karaoke equipment' or 'party entertainment' or the like, which may require a 'business' phone line. Long run, unless you get more than 1 gig/month, you may end up losing. Alternately, if you frequent karaoke nights (clubs,bars etc.) you could just give out business cards to the singers, introduce yourself and explain your services. If you really want to be underhanded about it (not something I would do or recommend, but an option) call the place that rents this karaoke machine and ask if you could get a few names/numbers for 'testimonials' then reverse lookup their number and send them a mailing. If you have any clubs which have their own in-house karaoke system, talk to the KJ, create a good rapport with him/her, give them a few business cards, if/when someone asks who they could call for a small party, ask him/her to reccommend you. Maybe approach a few 'party planner' businesses, explain your services, maybe offer 10% of the parties they book you for. They also get the added benefit of listing karaoke in their offerings.

to sumarize...

People who rent karaoke equipment, usually are having a small get together, and want to be able to sing off and on throughout the night, and would rather do it themselves than have a 'stranger doing nothing' half the night when they're not singing.

Those who want to hire someone to run the show, generally are having a large party, and will go with a DJ/KJ to play the whole night.

Promoted by advertising, I doubt you'd turn any sort of real profit, at least for awhile, once you do a few parties, you may get enough word of mouth reccomendations to make it worth it.
ALWAYS bring pleanty of business cards with you. Or on the back of your business cards print lines for name, song name, song # use it for your request slip. Place these all around the party, announce on the back of the song request slips is your business card. Or at least put your contact info on your request slips if you don't want to give out that many business cards.

Not trying to discourage you in any way, but do alot of planning/cost analysis and see if you can do it for the low price. In my opinion (in my area anyway) I don't feel the demand is there.

Just my thoughts...and some ideas...
Flip