MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Vogone & Vogone Easy Software > Vogone Help

Vogone Help Post Vogone questions, tips and suggestions here.

Closed Thread

Old November 2nd, 2002, 10:14 PM
Frequent Member

Cool Important! Vogone "WILL WORK" With The Right Music! See What You May Be Doing Wrong.

The Vogone 2 will work very well under certain conditions....

1. YOU SHOULD HAVE AN 700+ MhZ CPU...SEE THE PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS.

2. THE SONG YOU ARE TRYING TO "REDUCE" THE VOCAL FROM MUST BE A 44,100Hz, 16 BIT, "WAVE FILE" IF THE VOCALIST WAS "CENTER PANNED" VOCAL REDUCTION IS INCREASED.

3. STEREO RECORDINGS WERE NOT EVEN AVAILABLE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC UNTIL THE LATE 1950's. A FEW ARTISTS, HAD ACCESS TO STEREO RECORDINGS IN 1955, BUT THESE ARE FEW.

4. THEREFORE, ANY RECORDINGS MADE BEFORE 1955 WILL BE "MONO" AND THERE IS NO HOPE OF REMOVING THE VOCAL.

5. DIGITALLY "RE-MASTERED" CD'S BEFORE 1955 MAY SOUND LIKE STEREO, BUT THEY ARE NOT. WHEN YOU RUN VOGONE EVERYTHING IS ERASED, VOCAL AND INSTRUMENTAL...

6. THE EARLY "STEREO" RECORDINGS DID NOT USE A LOT OF RE-VERB (AND THIS IS GOOD) YOU WILL HAVE BETTER SUCCESS WITH THESE RECORDINGS.

7. THE RE-VERB IS "OUT OF PHASE" AND THIS IS ONE REASON, THE MORE RE-VERB, THE MORE DISTORTION AND LESS VOCAL THAT WILL BE REMOVED.

8. THERE ARE SEVERAL PAPERS ON THE SUBJECT OF HOW TO CANCEL AND REDUCE RE-VERB ON THE INTERNET AND I HAVE DIRECTED MTU TO THOSE PAPERS. BASICALLY AN ALGORITHM HAS TO BE WRITTEN TO DO THIS AND SEVERAL MAJOR COMPANIES THAT MAKE "SPEAKERPHONES" DESCRIBE HOW TO DO IT, IN SOME OF THEIR TECHNICAL PAPERS.

9. THERE ARE NO "JERRY VALE" KARAOKE SONGS...I HAVE ONE CD OF HIS THAT SOUNDS LIKE STEREO, BUT IT IS MONO.

10. I HAVE ANOTHER CD OF HIS THAT 50% OF THE SONGS IN MONO, BUT THE OTHER 50% ARE STEREO AND I GET ABOUT A 90% VOCAL ELIMINATION....LUCKY....NOT A LOT OF RE-VERB.
BOTTOM LINE, I COULD ONLY MAKE 7 CD+G'S USING VOGONE AND KARAOKE HOME PRODUCER TO MAKE SOME JERRY VALE MUSIC.

11. SETTING THE LOW FILTER IS THE EASY ONE, SIMPLY SLIDE THE TAB TO THE LEFT TILL THE VOCAL IS GONE.

12. SETTING THE HIGH FILTER YOU SHOULD FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS:

Click the High play button. You will only hear the high frequencies above the value where the High adjuster is set. When it is at the far left location, you will hear 2KHz frequencies and higher. There will be vocal frequencies present. It is best to adjust the Loop 1 and Loop 2 pointers in the Play Location group to loop play on an area with vocals. Then, you know the vocals are present.

You should then move the High slider to the RIGHT until you don't hear any frequencies that corrolate to the vocals. That is why it is important to set the Loop points first. This is the MAXIMUM removal of the vocal.

After doing this, you should next click the Play Vogone button to hear all the processors working together. Then, you can note where the High was set, but try moving it some to the right to "restore" some of the music instrument high frequencies. You can do the same with the LOW adjuster also. You can now hear some of the vocal coming back as you adjust the sliders. Actually you may not hear the vocal high frequencies for quite a long movement of the HIGH slider. The advantage this offers is that you can now make the tradeoff of restoring some of the music, which often can have a much more significant positive improvement on the music at the expense of a little bit of the vocal being added back in.

13. KEEP ALL OF THE ABOVE THINGS IN MIND WHEN TRYING TO REMOVE A VOCAL, WITH VOGONE PROGRAM.....WHEN THE CONDITIONS ARE RIGHT, THE VOGONE PROGRAM WILL DO A VERY GOOD JOB.

Last edited by kjzone; November 11th, 2002 at 09:28 PM.
Old March 20th, 2003, 01:28 AM

Will Vogone work with new music

Will Vogone work with newer music....e.g. Kelly Clarkson's "A Moment Like This" or Sarah McLaughlan's "Angel" or "I Turn to You"? Are there competitor products that work better/worse? Do voice eliminator service providers use software like this or are they using some other technology?

Thanks,
Lisa
Old March 20th, 2003, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Vocal reduction overall notice

Lisa, these are good questions.

There are some songs that can have their vocals fully removed, others that will partially reduce, and still others that will not reduce at all. It is not possible to tell if your songs will or will not until you try them.

MTU's Vogone is one of the most sophisticated vocal reduction products on the market. It uniquely allows you to put back some of the music frequencies of instruments that are a the same location of the vocals, and would otherwise be completely removed with the vocals. Other products will remove all the instruments at the same location as the vocals. This can make a VERY BIG difference in your resulting vocal reduced song.

Vocal reduction services have the same tools that you can buy. Many have purchased the Thompson Vocal Eliminator box (model VE-3 is $1,600 and VE-4 is $2,495) which does not do any better at vocal reduction than Vogone. Click here to read testimonials about Vogone, including one that compares it to several competiting products, including the Thompson VE-3.
Old March 20th, 2003, 09:55 PM

putting back frequencies at same location as vocals

You said that Vogone "allows you to put back some of the music frequencies of instruments that are a the same location of the vocals, and would otherwise be completely removed with the vocals"

Is more equipment required to do this or can you get away with only purchasing the vogone software. What kind of cost is involved TOTAL?
Old May 19th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Your questions

Lisasolomon, Vogone has the high and low filters built in to allow you to define music frequencies at the same location as the vocals that you do not want to remove. This is a removal process so you must exclude the music from the template that will be removed. You do not need any other hardware/software.

However, Vogone only processes .wav files on your hard drive. There are many programs that allow you to read CD tracks into the hard drive as .wav files. Our Microstudio software is what we would recommned... of course!

And, Microstudio allows you to write your .wav files back to a CD as individual tracks, built up in the Custom Assembly tab as your "disc image" before writing it.

Vogone is US$54.95, Microstudio (if you want it) is US$39.95, and... if you don't have a CD Burner, you will need one. We sell CDG certified burners, but for Vogone you don't need this (unless you are going to create your own CDG Karaoke songs, and then a CDG certified burner).

You should also read the Vogone Testimonials to see what various other users have said, with some very good details on which songs they have been successful removing/reducing vocals.
Old September 2nd, 2003, 01:40 PM

newer music -- lisa solomon question:

I got an almost perfect result removing the lead vocal in the Justin Timberlake song "Cry me a river" and all I had was an mp3 of the song (converted to wav). The only problem was that one of the rap singers in the background (singing sound effects) was also center panned and I got rid of him too along with J.T. But the result was still better than one of the commercial karaoke versions that had chopped out part of the song in order to cram more songs on the disk.

It all depends on the song, and you can't tell in advance which will work and which won't. However, best bets are songs in which (a) there is basically only one lead singer and (b) the lead singer doesn't also play an instrument, or if he or she does, doesn't play a lead instrument.

Vogone is still the best stripper software around, but I've gotten good results on maybe 25% of the songs I've tried (lead vocal gone without too much background distortion.) I'm looking forward to the new version with the pan control and echo cancellation.
Closed Thread