MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old March 3rd, 2002, 12:41 PM

Question Problems with Disc to Disc

I have MicroStudio v2.314, running on Win98 Second Edition. I am using Plextor 8/4/32A IDE and Plextor 8/2/20 SCSI drives. Both drives can read, Rip, and record CD+G perfectly using 'Import Tracks' and 'Custom Assembly Options'. However, regardless of settings I have tried and combinations of Reader to Writer I cannot get Disc to Disc to work. Even at 1X. I get the classic 'memory cannot be read error...'

I upgraded the scsi drive from a Plextor 4/12 scsi due to the same problem. The drives will record disc to disc (non CD+G) using other. Any suggestions?

ablaize
Old March 3rd, 2002, 03:29 PM

Do you mean the "Duplicate Disc" function will not work at all ? It will not copy directly disc to disc, as Microstudio always creates an image file to the hard drive when copying discs. See page 11 of the Microstudio V2.314 manual. Since there is no speed advantage to using two cdr drives, suggest you try to isolate the problem by determining whether Duplicate Disc feature is functioning. Make the 8/4/32 drive both the read and write drive and see what happens.

Take care,

George

Last edited by George; March 3rd, 2002 at 03:43 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2002, 07:14 PM

Disc To Disc

Yes, I do mean the Duplicate Disc. I can usually get about 3 to 5 songs into the disc when the error occurs. Speed is not so much the issue, I would like to be able to put a disc in, start it up, and walk away or go to bed knowing that when I come back, my disc is done. I'm looking to save the step of having to go through switching discs or using the custom assembly tab to make my backups.
Old March 3rd, 2002, 07:43 PM

Have you tried doing it with just the plextor 8/4/32 as read/write just to make certain the the duplicate disc program is functioning properly ? Might be worth the time to help isolate the problem.
Dunno, just brainstorming.

Take care,

George

As an afterthought, you haven't installed anything from Adaptec
have you? They automatically turn on the auto insert functions of the cd drives, and the auto insert has to be off on both drives, or duplication will dump after 3-4-tracks. Got my fingers crossed..G
Old March 3rd, 2002, 08:00 PM

Checking into it

I do have Adaptec Easy CD Creator, but I have verified that Auto Insert is turned off. (Because it annoys the hell out of me). I'll give Disc Dupe a shot with just one drive to see if anything turns up. Just a little baffled that two drives that work by themselves and can go disc to disc with other programs would have this problem. (Actually 3 drives if you count the Plextor 4/12 that I replaced thinking it was the culprit.

Thanks for your help.

Troy
Old March 3rd, 2002, 09:13 PM

Wondering if there might be a problem with ASPI driver. Might try switching drivers under the Drives tab.

George
Old March 4th, 2002, 02:53 AM
Administrator

Exclamation Direct disc to disc uses the hard drive

ablaize, we always use the hard drive for copying the disc image. Thus, you should be able to read from either drive and write to either drive, but it will require you to press Enter when the disc image is copied to the hard drive.

George has given some excellent suggestions on diagnosing the problem. First, make sure you can use the Duplicate Disc function on one drive before trying it with two.

We have recently discovered that the ASPI drivers that Microeditor 2.314 install, have a memory leak. That means, that after about 3-5 discs image copies made, the computer has to be rebooted. We are very unhappy about this as we buy these drivers from another specialty company who writes them.

If you go to the Microstudio Tech Support Forum, you can find how to download an ASPI driver that does not have the memory leak. This will overcome this problem. We have not receive new versions of the ASPI drivers yet, so we don't have a fix that we can install directly.

We'll be looking for your results posted here. We want to make sure you go operational.
Old March 4th, 2002, 11:13 AM

Appreciate the help

Thanks to George and the Board Admin for taking time to help with my little dilemma. Truth be known, if I cannot put a disc in, start a dupe session, and walk away, then it's not worth creating any more 'coasters' to solve this problem. I'll just have to stick with backing up one a day. Should only take a few months to get them all done.
Old March 4th, 2002, 01:29 PM

if it will help get you out of a bind temporarily, on page 33 of the
Plextor Manager 2000 user's guide that came bundled with my 8/4/32 it says their software will copy cdg disc to disc. I'd guess you have the same software installed.

Have never tried it, but it appears it should work.

George
Old March 4th, 2002, 05:12 PM

Disc to Disc

I tried that before I I bought Microstudio. It did make a really nice audio disc, but no video. I guess that's why these guys are here. I do appreciate all your help.
Old March 4th, 2002, 06:19 PM

There's a light at the end of the tunne. See the thread I posted under Microstudio New Feature Requst titled "Option To Not Finalize" and read Admin's response.
I realize that's in the future, but the problem will be addressed

Take Care,

George