MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old September 8th, 2008, 09:14 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_g View Post
If they are too young to drink then they are too young to sing. In my area the bar can be shut down for serving underaged people. My bartenders always card any newcomer to make sure they are old enough to be there.
That's probably the case in every State, but I don't think Jim said they were being served. They are probably there drinking water and soda and wanting to sing too.

Old September 8th, 2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
That's probably the case in every State, but I don't think Jim said they were being served. They are probably there drinking water and soda and wanting to sing too.
You are correct Bryant, what is too young to sing anyway? I've had kids come in with their parents that did a great job and got the audience pumped up.

These folks I'm dealing with are are old enough to be drafted but not old enough to drink in the State of Georgia. Another Catch 22 and it's not their fault.

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Frequent Member

IN my state unless the establishment is a resteraunt, no minors are allowed in the building period. If it is a resteraunt then minors may stay until 9 pm or the shutdown of the kitchen which usually is shutdown earlier than bar closing time. If my establishment was one of these then they can sing prior to the shutdown of the kitchen but not after.
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:

IN my state unless the establishment is a resteraunt, no minors are allowed in the building period.
In the sate of Georgia, minors are alowed in a bar with an parent but they can not sit at the bar if I recall correctly. When in rome...

What state are you in Danny?

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:06 AM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjim View Post
What state are you in Danny?
Jim
I don't know about Danny, but I'm in a state of confusion.
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklwood View Post
I don't know about Danny, but I'm in a state of confusion.
Is that next to Missouri?

Jim

Old September 9th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjim View Post
Is that next to Missouri?

Jim
Or Misery as we affectionately call it.
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklwood View Post
Or Misery as we affectionately call it.
My lead guitar player was from KC, GO Chiefs!

Jim

Old September 9th, 2008, 04:48 AM
VIP

Quote:
IN my state unless the establishment is a resteraunt, no minors are allowed in the building period. If it is a resteraunt then minors may stay until 9 pm or the shutdown of the kitchen which usually is shutdown earlier than bar closing time. If my establishment was one of these then they can sing prior to the shutdown of the kitchen but not after.
No minors are allowed in any part of the bar in WA as a rule here as well. There are a 'handful' of restaurants that have a bar attached to the open restaurant, but most of these are even locked into where a minor can be in relation to the bar area and MUST be out by no later than 10 (at least the places i've worked in the past), most kick out by 9.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old October 7th, 2008, 02:06 PM

I bartend as well as KJ. My advice would be to have the bar stop giving out glasses of water and sell bottles of water. This way it works the bar makes money and the customer isn't paying for tap water.
Old October 8th, 2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
If they are too young to drink then they are too young to sing. In my area the bar can be shut down for serving underaged people. My bartenders always card any newcomer to make sure they are old enough to be there.
At most of the private service clubs (ie: VFW, American Legion) will only sell bottled water. usually for one dollar, most others its BYOB and the charge is one dollar for soda or tonic. otherwise beer is only little more in price. I cannot say, cause of VA ABC). So we very rarely have to deal with underage drinking. So we avoid alot of the problems that a restaurant or bar would have to deal. For example: I used to KJ at a restaurant near my house, and it would cater to a diverse crowd. They would have some of the problems that has been mentioned: water drinkers, deadbeats, etc. Well the owner took the initiative by not serving water or free coffee refills. That sent the water drinkers packing. And the coffee drinkers were ok for the refill price. He also increased the price of mixed drinks by one dollar, and the price of bottled beer increased by 1.50.
This had an adverse affect on the customer base, because they would have to shell out 4.50 for a bottle of Miller Lite, and mixed drinks went from 5.25 to 6.25. He was hoping to offset the sales of licquor and promote more food sales. (VA requires that a percentage of food be sold to offset the cost of booze. like 2/3 food to 1/3 ABC). The drinkers in the house were not eaters, 'cept stuff like wings and other appetizers.

So he's still hanging in there, no minors after 9pm, ID checks at nine and if you drink you gotta pay the price, no hanging around. So far ABC hasn't been in there to shut him down. but his place is one of the few places in the area with Karaoke 7 nights a week.
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old October 10th, 2008, 07:12 PM

i have people like that come to my show ( used to anyway), i used to put them at the bottom of the list, till they figured out what i was doing, and i always announced about the beer prices and the nights special and some other things they didnt wanna hear..
Old October 11th, 2008, 08:11 AM

Singers Spend No Money

I think sometimes, and I have seen it happen, a KJ forgets he/she is providing entertainment, and is paid by the establishment to do so. Your job is to provide the outlet entertainment, not to police what the customers drink or eat, or to (sic) punish the customer if he or she fails to meet a certain criteria. They all should be treated the same by the KJ. As an entertainer, my only wish is to fill the house and provide the best entertainment I can and hope the majority likes it well enough to return. The Club/establishment should provide food and beverages, hopefully at a price that will entice all to partake of the same, plus, do their best to provide an atmosphere that will produce the best results.

I have never had it happen, but if an owner/manager has a problem with a non-drinker, etc. and wanted to make a point, i would simply hand them a mic and let them make the announcement. That is not in my job description. I will make any other announcement i'm asked to do. It has worked for me for thirty years or so and i have never played a club/establishment that has not asked me to return time and time again. Knock on wood!!!!
Just an opinion, Muzicman
Old October 11th, 2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
Quote:
I think sometimes, and I have seen it happen, a KJ forgets he/she is providing entertainment, and is paid by the establishment to do so. Your job is to provide the outlet entertainment, not to police what the customers drink or eat, or to (sic) punish the customer if he or she fails to meet a certain criteria. They all should be treated the same by the KJ. As an entertainer, my only wish is to fill the house and provide the best entertainment I can and hope the majority likes it well enough to return. The Club/establishment should provide food and beverages, hopefully at a price that will entice all to partake of the same, plus, do their best to provide an atmosphere that will produce the best results.

I have never had it happen, but if an owner/manager has a problem with a non-drinker, etc. and wanted to make a point, i would simply hand them a mic and let them make the announcement. That is not in my job description. I will make any other announcement i'm asked to do. It has worked for me for thirty years or so and i have never played a club/establishment that has not asked me to return time and time again. Knock on wood!!!!
Just an opinion, Muzicman
I hear what you're saying, i've been with this establishment for almost 3 years now, and i never really paid to much attention about their business accept what i was hired to do, but there are times that when you see tables full with people with nothing on the table except your books, and the buying people has nowhere to sit..then in my opinion i'd rather lose the non buying customer, than the buying one's, what do you think is better a pack non buying cust. or 30 buying customers?..if the bar is not gonna make money, in the long run you'll end end losing your gig caused they can't pay you or take a cut in pay..just an opinion
Old October 11th, 2008, 08:58 AM

Singers Don't Spend

I don't want to get into a hissing contest. My only point was it is not the entertainer's job to police the customer and decide who stays and who goes. I would hope the owner/manager has that responsiblity here. The rest of your opinion is a no-brainer.
muzicman

Last edited by muzicman144; October 11th, 2008 at 09:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old October 11th, 2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I don't want to get into a hissing contest. My only point was it is not the entertainer's job to police the customer and decide who stays and who goes. I would hope the owner/manager has that responsiblity here.
Quote:
The rest of your opinion is a no-brainer.
muzicman
likewise, this shows me that you don't care about the place you work in as long as you make your dollar !!!! good entertainermuzicman?

Last edited by billyo; October 11th, 2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old October 11th, 2008, 10:03 AM

Singers Don't Spend Money

Like I said, I didn't want to get into a Hissing contest, only offered my opinion. Now you know nothing about me, have no reason to make such statements. But, I did learn all about you!!! End Of conversation with you.
muzicman
Old October 11th, 2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Like I said, I didn't want to get into a Hissing contest, only offered my opinion. Now you know nothing about me, have no reason to make such statements. But, I did learn all about you!!! End Of conversation with you.
muzicman
i am not gonna apologized to what i said due to what you said " my opinion is a no brainer " we didnt have a conversation we had an opinion discussion..
Old October 11th, 2008, 11:59 AM

Singers Spend No Money

Seems to be a slight mis-communication here. On your opinion, you ended with the question "would you rather have a full house of paying customers, or a house of non-paying customers". To which my reply was that Part of your opinion is a "no-brainer", as everyone knows the answer. Nothing derogatory meant towards you in anyway. If you took it any other way, it wasn't meant to be that way.
Hope this clears it up for you.
muzicman
Old October 11th, 2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Seems to be a slight mis-communication here. On your opinion, you ended with the question "would you rather have a full house of paying customers, or a house of non-paying customers". To which my reply was that Part of your opinion is a "no-brainer", as everyone knows the answer. Nothing derogatory meant towards you in anyway. If you took it any other way, it wasn't meant to be that way.
Hope this clears it up for you.
muzicman

if you read your past responsed it says " the rest of my opinion is a no brainer"..but anyway that's all clear said and done and the rest is water under the bridge...we can now go on our marry way thanks!!!!