MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microeditor Software > Microeditor Help - Versions 5.0-5.5

Microeditor Help - Versions 5.0-5.5 Discussions for Microeditor versions that use Krystal DSP Engine audio card

Old February 14th, 2003, 02:20 PM
Blocked From MTU.Community

For Geg:
Glad it helped. Interesting about the Abits. They seem mostly
OK with MTU stuff for me. I just built a P4 though with an Asus
P4PE (Intel chipset). The Raid on that is of little use-- will only run true RAID array (Promise chips). But on the Abits the HPT controller has been pretty good. I have one "genuine" Intel Abit and the Athlon machine, also 2 Tyan 1598s with K62AMD500s, plus some other stuff, as well as a pile of older systems (Rev J anyone) too. The Tyans are older but still work fine for most MTU things.

The HPT Raid controller on the Abit stuff seems happy enough to just run a regularly-formatted drive, giving you the extra IDE devices. All our machines have yankable drives, so it's
handy. I keep one system at another studio in NYC to lay stuff down when I'm there, and bring the drives back to edit-land.
The one in NYC is a very vanilla old P200, with a Krystal, an outboard 2 chan i/o and also an Apogee A/D to give me a few
ways to go. Most all I do with it is straight record.

The Asus P4PE is what I'll migrate XP Pro to first. With the Intel
2.40B gig CPU(the B is faster frontside), the thing is extremely fast.
Apps like Cool Edit Pro really seem to like it. And Krystal seems
happy too -- at least with Win98. I was afraid it wouldn't be due to all the IRQs being "native" assigned to all those on the board
peripherals. But two of the slots seem unencumbered enough.

Next machine I build will prob be an Athlon "2000" XP with an Asus board again, probably the A7N8X which is nvidia chipset.
Anyone tried Krystal with that combo?

The Abits do a lot of IRQ sharing too. I wound up with the SCSI card on the first slot next to AGP with those each time, and Krystal next one down with a hard interrupt assigned to it in BIOS from back when Krystal demanded it and I never changed.
(I have SCSI boards in all machines for outboard tape backer-upppers and various other stuff used sometimes, they are mostly cheap Tekram cards with no BIOS on them so cannot boot from a SCSI hard drive-- not impt for me.)

You get mucho USB 2 and Firewire on the P4PE, plus a load of
other stuff. Though neither Asus nor Abit give a whole lot of support , it's become better than it was. My Abit Be6-2 RAID abruptly died one day, and though out of warranty, they replaced it for a $25 US cost, so can't kick on that. First Asus P4PE came through bad out of the box though the reseller was good about replacing it.

Nice web site you have too by the way. But isn't it a little scary to be where you are in the world just now?? (I bet biz is booming for feeds out of there though... )

I checked a little more and the colors I changed with what was in the INI file were the BG gray, it is slightly more washed out looking than default, but the green numbers etc don't break up as they were doing on the Samsung LCD by setting it that way.

I've noted the rubbery cursor thing at the end of segments since the last update to Medit 54 which eliminated the need for an IRQ. It's at times an annoyance, though has been workable for the most part. Of course it let MTU work on many m/boards that Krystal didn't like, apparently-- so I guess that was pretty impt.
Old February 28th, 2003, 12:57 PM

microsnd.ini

Well boys.. Thanks to Rich taking the trouble to post his .ini file I have experimented somewhat now and this time obtained results. From my earlier posts I was saying that whatever I typed in, didnt make a difference.. it went to default. But then I notice the "control colors" line has """SOMEHOW"" appeared under the EQ section. Don't ask.. But I shifted it and things happened. Most of you will probably NOT have the line
"VIEWWINDOW COLOURS" if you have NOT changed anything from install I guess. Well if you HATE that horrible grey that I am typing on right now. (Cheer us up for goodness sake.. yuck!)
then add the line after "Control Colors", giving it some numbers.. It's great fun chucking in odd numbers just to see what happens (It's in HELP under "screen colors") So just checking in to say I have settled for a wonderful mix.. so psychadelically arty media creative.. puts you in a great mood and looks the part for any one looking over your shoulder.
Control colors=3215,16777215
Viewwindow colors=3215,65535

This give you your data windows as "White" background and I just shoved a sort of stronger purply colour on it (English spelling of colour probably effects the entry .. I dunno) .

Then the background of the view window and the Create Segment windows is now .....wait...... Bright Yellow.... Luv it! Cuz the create screen window has the wave form as BLACK and it really looks good.. This also keeps the segments in the project window as BLUE.. against the strong yellow.. Just like my office here (and kitchen in london) Real happy stuff.

As for the EQ section, Rob has an extra line ....EQ line 9 ?????? I am still having big problems with EQ.. it just doesnt work sometimes. Anything of the Direct X plug-ins.. just doesnt work at all!! It picks up the Sound Forge parameters, just doesnt act on it.
I need to experiment a bit more with that. I suspect Jimbo will be into that with his Nuendo settings as well.. so very interesting nowaday.. Microeditor has shifted gear a bit after all.

I'll post another about motherboards later
G
Old February 28th, 2003, 01:16 PM

Dont knock it guys! a bit of feed back on Boards and processors etc. Especially performance:
Rich's experience with motherboards is so worth noting. The guys and me build all our own PC's here.. done hundreds, used everything. For example: I guess most would think that any Intel/Intel motherboard would be ok.... absolute hog!!! MTU hated my last pure INTEL motherboard running a P2/550 . Yet I am using an Intel now with a 2 gig/P4. Apart from the MTU mini quirks.. Rock solid so far.

I always thought ASUS was by far the best.. Some are! The Via 133 series are all very dodgy. I have had FOUR bad Asus motherboards (of different P2/P3 types) in a row. Plus you have to play A LOT with jumpers when they are supposed to be automatic.
A couple of bad AMD's maybe took out a few boards or the other way around.. Took out the first MSI KT (raid version),I had. replaced it with the MSI KT3 Ultra with DDR333 memory.. Hmmmm! Seems very nice indeed ...
On the video side.. we shot a twin P3/900 running on an ABIT VP6. That ran, but probs. Particularly with Raid. So changed it out for a single P4/1.8 gig. Guess what? Nice and stable.... BUT NO more real time renders in transitions on the video,.... not even cross fades... very odd!
FIC.. boards too.. not had a lot of luck with them.