MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old October 15th, 2007, 10:27 AM

Type of Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
I think we all know that.
Bryant
From the reading of post concerning sound, i'm pretty sure everyone in this forum does not know this. That is why they read and post opinions and ask questions. I understand that most who read and post here are very knowledgeable about sound, but, we immediately had a post asking what are sound processors, who added he was new about sound and wanted to know more to help him run a better show. What i was attempting to do was point out to him was no matter what equipment one buys, sound must be developed. I have a friend who uses Radio Shack mixer and Nady mics combined with powered EV speakers and his sound is unbelievable. Go figure.

muzicman144
Old October 15th, 2007, 05:18 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncall View Post
what do you mean by sound processor? I am not new to singing, but am new to running sound!
thanks
Basic sound processors that many use:

Effects processor - reverb, delay, chorus, etc..
EQ processor - to adjust tonal shaping, feedback control & tuning the room to match your speakers.
Compressor processor - Keeps vocal signals in check/balanced so the screamers are a little more manageable levels.
Sonic Maximizer processor - A frequency aligner which was designed to aide in speaker deficiencies but also thickens & brightens the final sound.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old October 20th, 2007, 08:26 PM

I have run, Vocopro mixer with kenwood and crown amps MTX speakers.
EV mixer with Peavey 800 amps. Peavey SP4 speakers, Both good units and nice sound. I have since bought Peavey 1200 watt mixer amps for wgt space factors Peavey tower speakers. I've sold all my mixers and amps but one crown 600, that will go to the first with $150. Since going PC for my gigs DJ and KJ my sound has improved and life is good.
Old October 27th, 2007, 07:48 AM

Talking

Just keeping this going.

Behringer 1222FX mixer and behringer EP 2500 amp to Peavey SP-5 speakers.

Tweaked right provides sound that I will put up against any similar equipment of any brand.

Jon

Monolith Entertainment
Old October 27th, 2007, 09:05 AM

What kind of mixer do you use??

Went from Yamaha mg12fx, ev 300 speakers QSC2450 Amp. w/ the normal sound processors, to two Bose L2 systems. I only received raves about my sound before, but, am always looking for better. These Bose Systems provide the best sound i have heard at the club-lounge scene in my thirty years of music.

muzicman144
Old October 28th, 2007, 02:38 AM

I have heard the Bose and love it when it is run by someone who understands a sound system. I have heard it used by people with no system knowledge and it is horrible.

I test drove one a few years back. For how I run it wasn't my best choice so I went back to the twin full ranges that I used.

Jon

Monolith Entertainment
Old October 28th, 2007, 07:16 AM

What kind of mixer do you use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithent View Post
I have heard the Bose and love it when it is run by someone who understands a sound system. I have heard it used by people with no system knowledge and it is horrible.

I test drove one a few years back. For how I run it wasn't my best choice so I went back to the twin full ranges that I used.

Jon

Monolith Entertainment
I agree. It took a while because i didn't want to change the sound i had. I think i know sound management, but i still had to "go to school" to get the kind of sound i wanted using the Tone 1 engines, but, it is an improvement over the standard system, plus at less than 55lbs per system, a lot easier to handle when one has to setup multiple times a week.
muzicman
Old October 28th, 2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
I agree. It took a while because i didn't want to change the sound i had. I think i know sound management, but i still had to "go to school" to get the kind of sound i wanted using the Tone 1 engines, but, it is an improvement over the standard system, plus at less than 55lbs per system, a lot easier to handle when one has to setup multiple times a week.
muzicman

in my opinion Bose is good for playbacks.sound is excellent.but for playbacks and vocals i still go with mackie..just an opinion..
Old October 28th, 2007, 10:34 AM

What kind of mixer do you use

Each has his own favorites, but, in my opinion, Mackie is Just okay. They have gotten away from what they used to do well. Bose is USB loaded and sound can be set and reloaded. Effects work very well in any application. As with any system, you have to "learn" the best settings. As for vocals, I have never seen a Mackie system yet that sounded better than the Bose, when both are setup to their max.
again, just an opinion, and, we all have one

Muzicman
Old October 28th, 2007, 05:18 PM
VIP

The Bose sounds pretty good in smaller clubs, I tested a system in mine 2 sticks & 2 subs & the sound wasn't loud enough to get over the crowd noise and I am pretty knowledgeable in sound engineering & i'm not going to spend $4-5K on a speaker system when I have a perfectly fine PA. They worked awesome as a monitor system when I put the sticks on stage behind the singer & took out my 2 front wedges - which is what they are really designed for hence the original name of PAS (Personal Amplification System), but again, it's pretty pricey for a karaoke monitor so I brought them back. They aren't designed to be a PA system for the most part, not to say they can't be.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old October 28th, 2007, 06:19 PM

I have to agree with Lonman. The sound was very good closeup but seemed to diminish quickly the further away you got. When I was trying to use it it was killing my ears with decibels (beacause it was sitting close) just to get good sound to the other side of the room. That and the fact that it gave my Driverack fits trying to auto EQ and set up Subharmonics.

Probably why major name touring bands still use arrays. Cone speakers carry farther and can be better directed.

Still not knocking the system. Excellent tonal quality and really lightweight, just really expensive.

Jon

Monolith Entertainment

Last edited by Monolithent; October 28th, 2007 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Forgot an S on subharmonics
Old October 28th, 2007, 08:57 PM

What type of mixer do you use?

[quote=Monolithent;67174]I have to agree with Lonman. The sound was very good closeup but seemed to diminish quickly the further away you got. When I was trying to use it it was killing my ears with decibels (beacause it was sitting close) just to get good sound to the other side of the room. That and the fact that it gave my Driverack fits trying to auto EQ and set up Subharmonics.

I have uses it in 800 seat rooms, i don't do little clubs, and one of the major compliments of the sound is it is the same up close as it is in the back of the room. I use it for a 1,000 person outdoor show once a month, no problem. You don't need a driverack to auto EQ this system, I simply use the two Tone Engines from Bose. As for the expense, if it didn't work better than what i had, and i had a great system by anyone's measure, one test drive and back it would have gone at no cost to me. I'm not disputing what you are saying, just i guess we set things up a little different. I still have my EV array, but am wondering why? I guess it works for me when i set it up, and it didn't for you. By the way, i'm not affiliated with Bose. We will just have to agree to disagree.

muzicman
Old October 28th, 2007, 10:38 PM

Agreeing to disagree.
Old October 29th, 2007, 04:03 PM

What kind of mixer do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
The Bose sounds pretty good in smaller clubs, I tested a system in mine 2 sticks & 2 subs & the sound wasn't loud enough to get over the crowd noise and I am pretty knowledgeable in sound engineering & i'm not going to spend $4-5K on a speaker system when I have a perfectly fine PA. They worked awesome as a monitor system when I put the sticks on stage behind the singer & took out my 2 front wedges - which is what they are really designed for hence the original name of PAS (Personal Amplification System), but again, it's pretty pricey for a karaoke monitor so I brought them back. They aren't designed to be a PA system for the most part, not to say they can't be.
Actually the Bose system IS designed to be a pa system, never designed to be a monitor system, but designed not to require a monitor system. it is a shame you couldn't get the sound loud enough. I only use 1/2 of the Master volume to cover a 800 seat room, could have done it with one Bose Tower, One Tone Engine, but preferr two as i'm from the old school. Setup does require a little more knowledge of sound than the normal DJ/KJ standard system. Everyone that i know that uses this system raves about it.

Buying a Boat does not make one a Sea Captain, nor does owning a sound systme make one a "Sound Engineer". You missed out on the best system on the market, bar none EXCEPT the top end touring systems. But to each his own. I'm not criticizing anyone for their choice of sound system.

muzicman
Old October 29th, 2007, 06:28 PM
VIP

I've been using the "classic" L1's for 3 years now and am very happy with it (2-L1's and 4 B1 subs). The new L1's look awesome though I haven't checked them out yet. Bose has an excellent forum for L1 users for sharing tips or solving problems, theres even a section for DJ and KJ users.

I've got pics at http://www.myspace.com/karaokespotlight

Sam
Old October 29th, 2007, 10:11 PM

Cool What kind of mixer do you use??

Sam, Thanks for chiming in. These system are great. Set up with the tone engine is a little different. The ease of carrying, setup, etc. is great. I was beginning to feel all alone out here.

muzicman144
Old October 29th, 2007, 10:40 PM

I use a Yahmaha EMX 5000 and 2 Yahmaha Club Series 15's. Had this setup for 5 years with great sound and success.
Old October 29th, 2007, 10:48 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
Buying a Boat does not make one a Sea Captain, nor does owning a sound systme make one a "Sound Engineer".
Well I used to run sounds professionally in large scale venues & theater shows, still run sound for local bands & worked in several local recording studios since 86, so I would like to think I know a little about sound.

Quote:
You missed out on the best system on the market, bar none EXCEPT the top end touring systems. But to each his own. I'm not criticizing anyone for their choice of sound system.

muzicman
Yes to each their own, I didn't think it was worth the money.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old November 13th, 2007, 08:30 PM

I use a makie cfx12 mkII, Qsc rmx 1450 amp, digitech S100 effects, EV Eliminators, and have a rsq sv222 for cdg's if someone brings them in
Old November 13th, 2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
Basic sound processors that many use:

Sonic Maximizer processor - A frequency aligner which was designed to aide in speaker deficiencies but also thickens & brightens the final sound.
I had problems with one of these at my first job probably because it was my first job or maybe just setup problems but it keep blowing up the horns