MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum

CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum All about drives and media

Old March 2nd, 2003, 01:38 PM

missing cd and cd rom letters

hello

I have a Creative 52x CD Rom and a Plextor 24/10/40A burner. I used to be able to run the burner under either Win98SE or XP of my dual boot PC. I use Nero 5.

My brother leant me an Iomega stand alone USB burner. I installed this and have since been unable to get my Plextor to work. I got a message about cdralw2k.sys and cdr4_2k.sys drivers. I deleted these, and on rebooting in XP I have since had no icons in my computer for the CD rom or the burner. In the device manager, under cd roms, it lists the Plextor and the Creative, but there is a yellow exclamation mark by them both.

In Win 98 I have the icons and can read audio CDs and software, but Nero won't work. I've uninstalled everything, disconnected and reconnected the hardware, but when I try and install Nero, it won't let me complete the installation....

Help!

Mysteron
Old March 2nd, 2003, 03:00 PM

DELETED
Old March 2nd, 2003, 03:22 PM

Hi George

Yep. In XP, all I have under My Computer are the floppy and my C: and D: hard drives.

In Win 98, they appear as usual as E: and F:

Mysteron
Old March 2nd, 2003, 03:55 PM

If you haven't deleted too much out, perhaps on the XP you could do a restore to a date prior to installing the USB drive. If that works then perhaps you could use the corrected settings in XP as a guide to set up 98, copying any missing files from XP to 98, or at least be up and running in XP.
Old March 3rd, 2003, 02:48 PM

This sounds like a problem related to Iomega, you may want to contact them about this.

You can also check out some of these websites that Google has found dealing with that error message. http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...alw2k%2Esys%22