MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum

CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum All about drives and media

Old January 1st, 2003, 03:06 PM

Plextor USB drive slow read

I last posted a question about this problem about a year ago, and the drive was fairly new then. I wanted to know if anyone knows anything new. I have a Plextor 24/10/40U USB drive hooked up to a USB2.0 connection. It writes great -- will write a whole disc in about a minute. But it takes 10-15 minutes to read a disk. I've tried automatic speeds and setting all speeds -- no effect. It really seems as though if there were a problem, it should WRITE more slowly than it reads. Any new ideas out there?

Thank you,

Mike Mumma
Old January 1st, 2003, 04:16 PM
Frequent Member

1. Is your Plextor USB connected to a PCI USB 2.0 card or
a USB 2.0 Buscard (used with Notebook Computers)?

2. In either case, USB uses a lot of your Computer Resorces, make sure you go to Contl/Alt/Delete and get rid of ALL TSR'S running (EXCEPT: Explorer and Systray)

3. For some reason Plextor's read slow.....I have a Plextor and Yamaha 10/40/24 and the Yamaha reads twice as fast as the Plextor and the Plextor writes faster than the Yamaha...I have taken advantage of this when COPYING ON THE FLY, with CloneCD. I read with the Yamaha and write with the Plextor and can burn a copy of a CD+G in about 2 Minutes at 24X. Using Mutisi Discs with no errors or ruined discs.
Old January 1st, 2003, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the reply. My drive is hooked up to a PCI USB card. You may well be correct that Plextor drives are slow to read, but this seems ridiculous. Also, aren't MTU's "certified" drives actually Plextor drives?
Old January 2nd, 2003, 03:46 PM

The Pletor drive that you have should read the disc in about 8 minutes, not 10-15, so this leads to be a driver issue or a system issue. I would try to get the very latest drivers for your USB 2.0 card that you have in the computer. Also try upgrading the Firmware for your Plextor drive at: http://www.plextor.com/english/suppo...firm_2410.html

If you tell me what brand of USB 2.0 card you have, I will try to find the latest drivers for you.
Old January 2nd, 2003, 04:44 PM
Frequent Member

Another possibilty is that:

Your USB 2.0 Drivers may not be installed properly. I had a lot of problems getting them installed correctly for Maxtor USB 2.0 PCI Card as well as a Buslink USB 2.0 Buscard.

Suggest you:

CALL TECHNICAL SUPPORT FOR THE COMPANY THAT SUPPLIED THE USB 2.0 DRIVERS....TO TALK YOU THROUGH TO CHECK THAT THEY ARE INSTALLED CORRECTLY.

If they didn't install properly, certain USB Drivers have to be deleted and you will need your Windows CD to properly re- install the USB 2.0 Driver for the USB PCI Card.