MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old August 20th, 2016, 12:18 AM

Dual Screen Problem

Hey. This is not really a hoster issue but has me stumped. I am currently running 5.35.01 and have done so with the same laptop and TV's for the last few years.

Last night I couldn't get hoster to run on the TV's and after investigation found that it was not on multiple monitors anymore just the one. The easy fix to this is to change it to multiple monitors under display settings but it doesn't actually give me the option. I am thinking this shouldn't be hard to fix but I have googled and searched settings on the laptop and can't work out where my multiple screen option disappeared to.

I am running Windows 10

Luckily we have a backup laptop which has a very old version of hoster that got us through the night but now I need to try to get this sorted...

Any help will be appreciated
Old August 20th, 2016, 04:35 AM
VIP

Re: Dual Screen Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjunkies View Post
Hey. This is not really a hoster issue but has me stumped. I am currently running 5.35.01 and have done so with the same laptop and TV's for the last few years.

Last night I couldn't get hoster to run on the TV's and after investigation found that it was not on multiple monitors anymore just the one. The easy fix to this is to change it to multiple monitors under display settings but it doesn't actually give me the option. I am thinking this shouldn't be hard to fix but I have googled and searched settings on the laptop and can't work out where my multiple screen option disappeared to.

I am running Windows 10

Luckily we have a backup laptop which has a very old version of hoster that got us through the night but now I need to try to get this sorted...

Any help will be appreciated
Windows 10 won't recognize 2nd display, even if video card supports, unless you actually are connected to another display.

Also, did you update from another version of windows to windows 10?? Your Video driver may need to be updated as some Video drivers no longer work under Win10.
Old August 20th, 2016, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

Did this happen after upgrading to Windows 10 ?
If so it's highly likely that you need to search for a graphics driver update.
Determine the manufacturer of your graphics card and search their site for an update.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old August 20th, 2016, 05:16 PM

Thanks guys

I will check the driver...

Update for Windows 10 happened about a month ago and it has been okay for the past 4 weeks but seems to be the obvious explanation...

I am not very computer savy - where do you go to check what video card you have??
Old August 24th, 2016, 07:51 AM

Hmmm - Ok so I worked out how to update the driver I think. By going into 'Device Manager' and then into 'Display adaptors' it gave me the option to update the driver.

Sounds like it should work ?!?

I rebooted laptop afterwards but still nothing - just the one screen option.

How do I check that I definitely have the correct driver loaded? Or is there another suggestion on how to fix.

Thanks in advance
Old August 24th, 2016, 08:38 AM

Have you hooked up the 2nd monitor, then when you see your desktop do the following. Press the Windows key bottom left of the keyboard, and hold it, then press the letter P key. Left click Extend my desktop. Now it should work fine.
Old August 24th, 2016, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

That way rarely installs the best driver.
First you need to know which brand of graphics card you have on your computer. Example N-Videa, ATi, Radion, Intel, among others.
There is normally a sticker on the laptop telling you.
Failing that find you may be able to find it from the Device Manager, to open device manager under windows 10 right click on the windows start icon (First icon bottom left of screen) this should bring up a list, if it's there select device manager, then look for display adapters and click on the > chevron to the left to expand the option. Example in attachment.
Note your one and post back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Device manager.jpg (91.7 KB, 2 views)
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old August 24th, 2016, 04:18 PM

Thanks for that little trick MTU Support A nice quick way to extend the desktop. When I click on it though it does nothing so must be still a Driver issue

Roy - my Display Adaptor is Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

Would you be able to see the 2nd Monitor option if the 2nd monitor is not hooked up? Just wondering if my HDMI plug on my laptop is the problem.... not sure how to test that this is still working or not.

I did test the 2nd TV and cable on another laptop and that is fine.

Just seems weird that the wife upgraded Windows10 by mistake about 2 months or 8 gigs ago (I never upgrade anything anymore for this exact reason ) and it only has just stopped working... if it was going to fail due to driver issue would it not have stopped straight away?

Last edited by kjunkies; August 24th, 2016 at 04:26 PM.
Old August 24th, 2016, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Try the driver which is self installing from this site: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...-15-40-4th-Gen-
Read the instructions on the page,
Don't select the zip one use the with .exe extension.

To answer your questions, you have to be connected to a second monitor for the dual screen to appear.
As you say you tested the cable on another monitor then the cable is probably good the only other thing is the HDMI socket on the computer but if it's that it's a job for an expert.
Try the driver first.
Old August 25th, 2016, 04:35 AM

Thanks Roy

It's telling me now when I download that 'the operating system is not supported'. I might have to bite the bullet and get someone to look at it