MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Keyrite Software > Keyrite 2 Help

Keyrite 2 Help Post Keyrite 2 questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old September 6th, 2004, 01:57 AM

Smile Keyrite and BIN files

I'm thankful to see that MicroStudio allows for the playing of files with the BIN extension. I also recognize that BIN is an unfortunate extension to use for karaoke files, but that's the extension that's produced by some CDG+MP3 software. I am wondering if it would be possible for Keyrite to be modified to recognize files with that same BIN extension. Right now, for me at least, if I force Keyrite to use a BIN file (which is equivalent to a CDG file, or seems so to my nonexpert eyes), it freezes up. If I rename the file to have a CDG extension (before that, I have to move the CDG/MP3 pair used to create the file), then Keyrite works. If Keyrite would allow the use of the BIN file directly, it would be quite a bit more convenient.
Old September 6th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Re: Keyrite and BIN files

Well, as the saying goes "SMOP"... Simple Matter Of Programming!

We can do anything we invest our resources into. However, the question has always been, for the VAST MAJORITY of users who don't really like and understand technology, MTU's products have always been the Standard... easy to use, hides the technology, gets the job done without a lot of technical know how.

Read this Thread I wrote some time ago as our answer. I have updated it to include what we now offer in Microstudio 2.609.

So the question is really how "intelligent" does MTU want to make the software to recognize and use .bin files, which can easily NOT contain true CD+G format content? To add "intelligence" to a program costs LOTS OF MONEY! Who will pay for this investment, when MTU already has the pefect, well-engineered solution?

The VAST MAJORITY of Karaoke non-technical users who have no need for it? NO! They don't want the added confusion!

Will the FEW MINORITY that wish to experiment with every tool out there, be they compatible or not? NO! They want freeware... which is why they typically have these .bin - mp3+g toolz! Many of these programs started as crack toolz to rip off and illegally distribute songs. Some of the authors have now abandoned them and there is no one to support them or explain their bugs.

We have for years taken our time to explain Forum posts like yours, from well meaning folks like you. However, the net result is... MTU wastes a our valuable resources explaining the problems with the .bin and mp3+cdg format files, that ARE NOT SAFE TO USE because of their multi-formats they can contain.

Standards prevent confusion and make life easy for everyone. However, when someone develops programs for themselves and their friends, then post them for free on the Internet, what do you expect? Problems!!!!

To support a product professionally, takes a commitment of time and money to do so. MTU's Microstudio 2.609 version now allows importing .bin files (that are true CD+G format content), and using .bin files (that may or may not be true CD+G format content) with warnings to suspect these files if anything doesn't work as expected. That's the cheap way out. We didn't write the intellgence we could have, because we'd never get our investment back. We make the .bin users waste your time instead of the VAST MAJORITY of our users who will NEVER need to even think about a .bin file, much less use them. If you stay with MTU's .cdg format files, you never have problems. If you use our players (Microstudio and Hoster) you never need to have MP3+G format files.

We will consider upgrading Keyrite also to support .bin files, with warning messages to point to the probable cause of any problems. HOWEVER, IF... we have significant problems and increased support due to Microstudio 2.609 supporting .bin files, I will NOT add .bin support into Keyrite. It is a matter of economics and protecting our valued customers who, as we perceive it, NEVER NEED to experiment with .bin files and their inherent risks of failure. MTU has engineered a solid set of programs to do what is needed. We are expanding that set even as I type. You will see more in the future.