MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Keyrite Software > Keyrite 1 Help

Keyrite 1 Help Post Keyrite 1 questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old October 5th, 2003, 02:14 AM
Administrator

Question List your analog hardware here if Keyrite files sound bad to you

We had a user recently who used to complain about the distortion, so he changed his outboard analog components and ALL the problems with Keyrite disappeared! We discussed this and here is the theory we came up with.

I am looking for the specific manufacturer and model number you use for:

* An Amplifier - its input is your computer audio output, and it connects to your speakers.

* A Mix Console - its input is your computer audio output, and taking a microphone input, mixing them and then connecting to an amplifer (or this may be build in the console) to the speakers.

* Any Effects Boxes - If you use these, you know what I mean. They add audio effects such as reverb, echo, chorusing, spectral exciter, etc. These take the analog output from the computer and "change" the sound.

Please posts these facts below in this Thread so we have all the facts from all of you in this one Thread.
Old October 6th, 2003, 09:05 PM

My Hardware...

I tried Keyrite on many computers (for test) and the audio cards used were:

C-Media & Crystal (Audio Chip), SB PCI 128, SB Live 5.1 Digital & Audigy. All had the latest update from C-Media (ECS Group), Crystal from Dell, Creative and latest Directx 9.0b with reduced or tried at max acceleration. All gave me that quivering sound.

I tried using Keyrite for live performance but people were asking if I had a problem with my sound system!

I didn't notice any quivering when using the key change from my Audigy Card. I believe the key change is analogue; it's after the Digital to Analogue converter so it can't compare with the technology Keyrite is using.

It doesn't play in Stereo & will move a full Key versus half a key for Keyrite.
Old October 6th, 2003, 09:08 PM

What is Analog hardware???

I am a computer user. not a computer expert. I have never (so help me) heard the terms "Analog Hardware" and "Outboard Gear". What are they?
Old October 7th, 2003, 06:53 AM
Frequent Member

I am using the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Audio Card with a Pentium III, 800 Mhz chip.

Absolutely no problems with KEYRITE..............

I use it every week to make keychanges for Professional Singers in the Washington, DC area and have not had ONE COMPLAINT.

IF THEY COULD HEAR A PROBLEM, YOU BET THEY WOULD TELL ME.

(KJZONE)
Old October 7th, 2003, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Re: What is Analog hardware???

My apologies. I am looking for the specific manufacturer and model number you use for:

* An Amplifier - its input is your computer audio output, and it connects to your speakers.

* A Mix Console - its input is your computer audio output, and taking a microphone input, mixing them and then connecting to an amplifer (or this may be build in the console) to the speakers.

* Any Effects Boxes - If you use these, you know what I mean. They add audio effects such as reverb, echo, chorusing, spectral exciter, etc. These take the analog output from the computer and "change" the sound.

In essence, anything that is external to your computer that the analog audio signal goes through, I ask you to post the manufacturer and the model number. That will allow MTU and other "audio experts" to understand if these components are changing the sound.

Quote:
Originally posted by jahern
I am a computer user. not a computer expert. I have never (so help me) heard the terms "Analog Hardware" and "Outboard Gear". What are they?
Old October 7th, 2003, 08:10 PM

My Equipment

Computer:
Athlon XP 2600+, 256 megs DDR 400, WD 40G EDI Drive with 8 meg Cache, Seagate 80G FAT 32, ATI 9200 Series 128meg AGP8X & Audigy. Using XP Home on NTFS.

Sound System:
Console: Behringer UB1622FX-PRO, Processor: Lexicon MPX110, Compressor/Gate: dbx 266XL, EQ: Peavey Q2151 (for Live Only), Speakers: Yorkville Y150, Amp: Sima 2003 and most Important; Headphone Set: AKG K141 Monitor & Monitor Speakers: Rogers Studio 1a.

Regards
Old October 8th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Interesting findings...

Thanks for the MP3 file. I played it with WinAmp, through my Altec Lansing surround sound system.

Results: Neither I nor my wife can hear any quivering or any form of vibrato. We just don't hear it.

Did you listen to the exact same file you sent me? If you can hear it, maybe this is another confirmation that the amplifier makes a big difference when playing a Keyrite processed file.

I have pulled our developer off of Vogone to tweak the Keyrite +1 and -1 key change parameters. We hope to have a beta version out for testing of these changes on Friday. Everyone here will get a notice and a copy. If this makes a change, he will tweak the other 8 keys and we will release 1.400. If not, he will replace the key change algorithm, which will take longer. He thinks he can make a big change by adjusting the parameters. I HOPE he is right!!!

From your hardware post above, it appears you have a significant audio setup. Question... have you tried bypassing your Compressor/Gate module, or do you even run the Key changed audio through it? This could cause quivering, vibrato and pumping as the gate turns on/off. Let us know what you find when you bypass it.
Old October 8th, 2003, 07:04 PM

Compressor/Gate

The dbx Compressor is used only for the Microphone and is connected thru Insert. In fact what I hear with my headphones is what comes out of my audio card with no effect from any of my equipment.

I have to admit that I didn't select the best track for my Keyrite test, it is in fact not bad with this track.

It will be a pleasure for me to have the opportunity to test your new Keyrite.

Thanks for your support
Old October 10th, 2003, 02:32 PM

Used everything

I have plugged my computer into bmb karaoke mixer, koss receiver amplifier, cheap computer speakers. I have also used my mdrv6 sony headphones as the only listening source. (plugged right into the computer)

I have used three different sound cards, including sound blaster live, on two different computers. I always hear a quivering sound. (I use keyrite all the time for myself.) I feel that my mixer sounds better when I change keys. However there are some disadvantages there.
Old October 10th, 2003, 04:16 PM

Have you ever tried lowering a file 1 or 2 keys, listen to it, then raise it back up to where it was just to see if there was distortion. I would be interested in finding out it it put it back to where it was origionly with out distortion.