MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Keyrite Software > Keyrite 1 Help

Keyrite 1 Help Post Keyrite 1 questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old September 18th, 2003, 02:37 PM

Question Keyrite freezes

I have the same problem that others seem to have with keyrite 2.104. When I try to change the key on a cdg that is stored in my songlist on the computer, the preview play button flickers and I have to restart the program to stop it. The only way I can get it to play on some cdg's is to write the cdg file to a re-writeable cd and import them again then keyrite works okay. This happens with many songs whether the key has been changed or not. I do not have problems if I am using Kpro and before writing the cdg change the key change the key on the wav file I am using with Kpro before I add music to Kpro. What is wrong? Thank you Alan
Old September 18th, 2003, 03:50 PM

cdg's created with other programs??

It has happened with me and different Keyrite versions, that some of these problems occur if I used some program other than Microstudio to extract the cdg file. Is that a possibility?? I expected this from the beginnning. That's why I initially bought Disc Architect. I bought into the idea that so many other programs would be developed that were linked to that initial purchase.
Old September 18th, 2003, 06:04 PM

Question keyrie freezes

I only use MTU products. I use Microstudio 2.5?? and keyrite and Kpro
Old April 16th, 2004, 09:24 PM

Keyrite with file extensions other than *.cdg

This is my first reply in this forum, I am trying to reply to the issue of Keyrite hanging up and flickering. This has happened to me many times when I try to use a file that doesn't have the CDG extension. I tend to keep my karaoke files on my hard drive as combinations of *.cdg (lyrics) and *.mp3 (music) files, and convert them to *.bin for burning onto discs. The conversiuon program puts the BIN file in the same directory with the CDG/MP3 files.

This works fine for burning with Microstudio (although *.bin is not one of the options, you can specify *.bin as the filename, and it will show the BIN files in the chosen directory, and then you can pick the files you want). However, if I try to run Keyrite (any version I've tried from 1.3x to 2.x) on the *.bin file the program freezes. If I rename the BIN file with a CDG extension it works fine. This is a little annoying, since I already have a file of the same name and a CDG extension sitting in the same directory, so I have to juggle file names. And, I have to rejuggle the names if I want to create a revised CDG/MP3 pair in the new key.

Maybe there's an easier way, and if anyone can suggest it I would be thankful. If the Keyrite program could be revised so that it works properly with filenames that don't have the CDG extension it would be a boon to me at least. Unless I'm just doint something dumb. Wouldn't be the first time...
Old April 17th, 2004, 05:16 PM

Handle Bin

I would like to suggest to MTU the ability to read a bin format on Micro & Keyrite.
A cdg & bin file are identical except for the extension so I don't understand why it wouldn't be possible to at least read it?

I know MTU does things the right way by giving it the correct cdg extension but why be in your own world?

How many people out they're have bin files and are looking for a key changer?

Just a suggestion...

Regards
Old April 18th, 2004, 04:27 AM

keyrite freezing

I have learned to change the key to the music before using kpro to make the cdg's. I don't know how many people write their own karaoke cdg's using kpro, but my wife and I extend many songs and she usually writes the additional lyrics for these extended versions. I might add that she is great at this. When we make a new song we always change the key on the wav file we use so that once we burn the cdg it works. If for some reason we have to change the key on the cdg again, we write it to a rewriteable and import it again to eliminate the problem. My wife has several different directories on her hard drive named as follows: original, changed, songlist, lyrics, music. This way she knows which is which. I also have the 4.103 version so I can save my work as kpr's which is great. I am just waiting patiently for the new version of khpro which will allow multiple colors and fonts...
Old April 18th, 2004, 11:01 AM

I very much agree with mlepine, that the MTU products could be made to work properly on files with extensions othe than CDG. My biggest issue is that one of the really popular ways of storing your songs on disk is with the CDG/MP3 pairs, which take up a lot less room, and which can be converted back to the CDG-disk format (similar in size to a wav file) for burning to a CDG disk. The program I use for this conversion uses the extension BIN for the bigger file format, which is also unfortunate (BIN means something else to many people). Using both of these processes in tandem requires a lot of renaming back and forth, which is not impossible but takes effort that I think could be avoided.
Old April 18th, 2004, 05:02 PM

keyrite

I use a program called alto mp3 maker which converts my wav files to mp3's and decodes them back to wav files for use with kpro. It really works well and is simple to work.
Old April 18th, 2004, 05:53 PM

Adding MP3 capability has been asked for before, and answered before by ADMIN.

It would be a pretty expensive proposition for a legitimate dealer like MTU to get involved in.

Here's one thread dealing with MP3's.

http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=575

George
Old April 19th, 2004, 11:43 AM

It would be nice if it would work with MP3 files but that's not quite what I'm suggesting. It should be possible for Keyrite to work with a file called SomeSong.BIN without freezing, when at least it appears to me that if I just rename the file to SomeSong.CDG, it works fine with that file. The two files have exactly the same content and structure, but Keyrite works if the extension is CDG, and not if it is BIN. My problem is that I already have a file in the same directory, called SomeSong.CDG, which is the lyrics part of the SomeSong CDG/MP3 pair. The CDG/MP3 pair probably takes up about 5MB together, and the BIN file (or, if you want, the type of CDG file that Keyrite is expecting, or the corresponding WAV file) will be more like 40MB. That's why I like to store the karaoke files from my CD+G disks on my computer as CDG/MP3 pairs rather than as images of what's on the CD+G disk. Am I making any sense?
Old April 19th, 2004, 12:10 PM

If you're asking me, I guess I can't relate to the problem as being one worth MTU making any changes, because I don't see any purpose for storing Karaoke files on the hard drive once they are burned to a cd. The average project runs around a gig or so. When it's burned to a cd, out they go.

I'd imagine in the case of someone trying to use Microstudio to conduct shows as a KJ, this may be a problem with a smaller hard drive, but then why should MTU accomodate them? That's what Hoster is for.

Regarding the BIN issue, there's an MTU competitor who chooses to use the .BIN extension on their home generated Karaoke tracks instead of the industry accepted .CDG extension. CDG is the leading format used in commercial Karaoke discs.

Once again, why should MTU accomodate those people by recognizing .BIN when MTU markets Karaoke Home Producer, which saves tracks with the leading industry format, CDG.

Not trying to be argumentative, just my opinions.

George
Old April 19th, 2004, 12:21 PM

keyrite

The reason I keep my cdg's on my computer is in case the cd gets to be bad I still have the songs on my computer so that I can burn another. Thanks for the info Alan
Old April 19th, 2004, 12:37 PM

That's why I always burn two, one for back up.

If our private Karaoke group is meeting, and a disk goes funky, I can have the back-up working in a minute without having to burn another on the spot, or disappointing a member who wanted to sing a song on the bum cd.

Take care,

George
Old April 19th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Why MTU does not support the .bin format

Read this thread why MTU does not support the .bin file extension.

This should end any speculation and further requests for MTU to support the .bin extension.

Simply stated... we will not.
Old April 19th, 2004, 03:07 PM

Question Cost for mp3

Honestly, I don't think it's a cost (license) issue but a decision not to support the mp3 format.

You will find companies which are Freeware, Shareware and MUCH smaller than MTU who supports this format so again I think it's a decision based on cost of making the changes with the existing software.

Don't get me wrong, It's ok for MTU to make this call after all they can do what they feel is best for them?

regards
Old April 19th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Re: Cost for mp3

Quote:
Originally posted by mlepine
Honestly, I don't think it's a cost (license) issue but a decision not to support the mp3 format.

You will find companies which are Freeware, Shareware and MUCH smaller than MTU who supports this format so again I think it's a decision based on cost of making the changes with the existing software.

Don't get me wrong, It's ok for MTU to make this call after all they can do what they feel is best for them?

regards
Huh?

I was answering about .bin files, not mp3.

This topic is on "Keyrite freezes" based on opening .bin files. Let's return to the topic please. If you want to discuss MP3, please do so in another thread where the topic can be MP3.
Old April 19th, 2004, 04:20 PM

Admin,

I wasn't answering to your post but mp3 was discussed here so I just wanted to give my opinion.

I guess your right we're getting out of the subject!

regards