MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old June 7th, 2003, 09:33 AM
Honor Roll

Volume Regulator

I just purchased the Terk VR-1 volume regulator ($50). The unit is designed to maintain a constant volume level from any A/V device. It's great for keeping the volume constant from your TV so commercials, gun shots, car crashes etc. are at the same volume as the dialog in the program you are watching. I hooked the unit up to my CDG player, it works great for leveling out the different volume levels from different CDG manufacturers. A little EQing is required at the mixer board but once the EQ is set you don't have to ride the volume control all night during a gig.

Gary
Old June 20th, 2003, 11:04 AM

How Does It Work??

Does this unit measure the whole song and then start to play it or does it sort of do this "on the fly"? In other words, do people hear the machine making the adjustments?
Old June 21st, 2003, 11:07 AM
Honor Roll

Re: Volume Regulator

The volume regulator makes adjustments on the fly. The reaction time is .002 seconds according to the specs.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 02:18 AM

Volume Regulator

Hi Gary,
How does the volume reguator work with songs that are soft in the beginning and get louder at the end. Does the device try and choke off the music when the music gets louder. Chucke
Old June 24th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Honor Roll

Additional Info On Vol. Reg.

Hi Chucke
The volume regulator will raise the volume on songs with low segments. The reaction time is so fast that when a song changes from a low volume to an extreamely loud segment, you can't tell the difference by ear. None of the music is ever cut off. When you view the music output on a bar graph VU meter you can see the left and right channels being held to a max level but not cut off, low levels are amplified, high levels are attenuated. The volume regulator is just a little bigger than a pack of cigaretts and i have it mounted in my equipment where I can easily reach it. With the flip of a switch on the unit you can bypass the volume regulator or bring it back into the audio circuit. So far I like the unit. On some songs with a very low intro the unit will raise the audio level to the point where you can hear background electronic hiss. I am still evaluating the unit but as far as I am concerned, I'll keep the unit in my audio path.

Gary
Old June 24th, 2003, 11:19 AM

Sounds Like A Range

It sounds like the regulator sort of has a rule: Keep everything between x and y (or some real volume range). If it's lower than x bring it up, if it's higher than y, bring it down. If it's between x and y, don't mess with it. I was wondering about a possible hiss, and you answered my question.

Sounds like it belongs in a show, especially with unattended bumper music, where the dj or kj has to talk with the manager about something. We wouldn't want any embarrassing spikes in volume.

It might also belong in re-mastering cds for use while driving in a car. I listen to classical music and am annoyed when I can't hear the music and no sooner do I increase the volume, then I am decreasing the volume because of an Orchestral tutti. (I invite anyone to advise if this is easily and inexpensively remedied with some wave editing program)
Old June 24th, 2003, 12:35 PM
Honor Roll

Volume Regulator Web Site

All the details on this unit can be found at
http://www.terk.com .
Click the "Installation Hardware" link and scroll down to VR-1.

Gary
Old June 25th, 2003, 03:07 AM

I will check out the volume regulator website,
my advice is to add the BBE sonic maximizer to the end of your audio chain it does wonders
Old June 25th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Honor Roll

Re: BBE Sonic Maximizer

L. L. Bliss

Checked out the specs online, I'm going to give it a try. I'll let you know how it works out.

Gary