MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Closed Thread

Old April 13th, 2011, 10:12 PM

another gem related problem

I got the new gem series.... ok so who can tell me why they (sound choice) typed all their titles like this "the_ way_we_were" all those underlines of nothing means that I cant use but one word for a search. the minute i put an underline separator in the search i know i will only be searching in the gem series cause no other manufacturer does that. so now I have to search both ways to get all the variations of mfg's. How to i go about replacing all those underlines with plain old spaces so my searching is easier? By the way anyone know how to do it with the songbooks too? Quickly i mean, not one by one. I just spent four days putting in discs. I'm a bit grumpy...lol
Old April 14th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Re: another gem related problem

This program will do as you ask and it's free: http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

You will have to load all the files onto your hard drive first then use this to rename them before importing.

Might look a little daunting on first inspection but once you get into it it is very powerful, suggest you experiment on just a small test file first.

If you have a problem with it I should be able to help.

m
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old April 14th, 2011, 06:53 AM

are you saying i have to go back and rename/ rework all those 4800 files before i import them with hoster? so i will have to delete the importing i have already done? just to get rid of "_" ?
Old April 14th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Are all the files you have imported kmh files ?
Let me know if you have imported them as Zip files or as 2 seperate files MP3+G with CDG

I will do a test on my computer and see if it will work on the already imported kmh files and change those alright. I expect you may have to rebuild the database after editing them because you are editing them outside of Hoster's edit function but that wouldn't take long.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.

Last edited by Roy Dennis; April 14th, 2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old April 14th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

I can answer my above post already. You can't use the Bulk rename program to change the contents in the kmh file that is already imported, this can only be done in Hosters edit dialog.

The bulk rename program changes the original file names that can then be imported and will set the kmh info to the same name as the imported file.

Sorry but I can't see any other way but to re import them other than manually alter them one by one in the edit dialog.
Old April 14th, 2011, 03:49 PM

that's what i was afraid of lol i also have noticed that when printing out song books i get the artis names both ways
example: beatles , the and the , beatles and somtimes even just ...beatles.

Is this due to mfg's using different parameters in nameing or is hoster just being obtuse? again thanks. it sure would be great if hoster had a bit more flexibilty to correct or rename things. now that would be a fantastic feature.
Old April 14th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbikeerrob View Post
that's what i was afraid of lol i also have noticed that when printing out song books i get the artis names both ways
example: beatles , the and the , beatles and somtimes even just ...beatles.

In a case like you point out with "the beatles" You can alter all of them to be consistent using the multiple edit feature.
Search for beatles but be sure to be in multiple mode, then double click on the Artist header this will order them as their different versions beatles, the beatles, Beatles,The, in order. Highlight all the ones to alter then type your preferred spelling in the artist box then press OK. They will all then be consistent.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 01:47 PM

thank roy i will do that

robert
Old May 7th, 2011, 03:02 PM

I have a program called FileRenamer That let's you bring up any folder, ie. Hoster database, and let's you rename songs in one fell swoop. You can get it at CNET Downloads. When you open the program, on the left top side you'll see OS (C. Click the + next to it to expand it, and go down until you see MTU. Click on the + next to MTU to expand it and you'll see the folder that contains all your music in it. Click on that folder and it will load everything. Once it loads all the music, you'll see it in the window. Above the window, you'll see file name, new file name, size (KB), ext, date modified, and directory. I always resize them so I can see the entire title of the song on both file name and new file name spaces. Then below you'll see file name properties, delete/remove/insert, find/replace. There are other property titles, but what you need to concern yourself with is Find/Replace. Click on that tab, and some options open up. Just below Find/Replace there will be 2 boxes . The 1st one is labled Find, and the 2nd Replace. On the 1st one, put in (_), and on the second one, click on it and hit your space bar. Towards the middle right you'll see radio buttons that says preview and apply. Hit apply and it will remove all underscores and replace them with a space. By the way, that is the only thing I do with this program for. I've tried to use Case correction, and it screwed up a big portion of my database by inserting numbers on the end, so be careful what you do with it. My advice would be to download to a folder, that way you don't have 1,000's of songs, run it through the FileRenamer, and once you're satisfied, cut and paste to your database.
Hope this helps.
JRMerc
Memories & More
P.S. Make sure you rebuild to get names corrected in Hoster.
Old May 8th, 2011, 03:21 PM

wow thanks you may have just saved me weeks of the most tedious corrections i have ever had to do i was doing them one by one with the edit songs thing in hoster. what i dont understand is why sound choice would even type the songs in like that in some cases they typed an underscore even before the first letter in the title and after the last letter also completely stupid thing to do. again my thanksi will try this.

Dj Biker Rob
Old May 8th, 2011, 04:08 PM

ok i got the program opened it i assume when you said find the OS you meant for me to look in my explorer program and find the folder mtu i did that i tried opening the database file and nothing happens when i click on it
you said to find the folder of my songs and click on it and it will load but nothing happens what is the file name for the part that i can edit i tried database.mdb and all that happens when i click on it is the screen blinks and nothing else happens. i know how to use the find and replace but i cant seem to get the proper folder/ file opened to do it. help!!!
Old May 8th, 2011, 04:39 PM

why is it hoster can find and edit the database through Hosters' edit songs feature but i can not seem to open that file or even find it, with any other program? What is the name of the file? How do i open it so i can use a file renamer to fix all the errors. Why doesn't hoster have a find and replace feature in its edit songs feature? I am still weeks later going through the files one by one to take out all the damned underscores that sound choice put into their new Gem series. it will take me months doing it this way......I have also noticed that when i rename the file the singers database loses the song so thanks a lot for that. Yes i am getting a bit hacked off about all this foolishness. you would be too if you had to do literally millions of keystrokes just to get rid a some damned underscores that in any primitive word processing program could be gotten rid of in a single search and replace command.
Old May 8th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

I would be very wary about making changes to imported files outside of Hosters edit function.
Hosters data base "Songs.mbd" is a Microsoft Access data base file which can be opened and edited in Access or viewed in the latest versions of Excel.

But it is not advisable to edit in these programs as any changes made will be undone as soon as you use the Rebuild Database function.

As far as I can tell the program EmilioM suggested is much the same as the one I suggested although may be easier to understand and would only change the original file names not the ones in the database.
Perhaps EmilioM can come back on this and prove me wrong.
I have not tried it so can't comment on it.
Whatever you try test it first on a small test amount first before going the whole hog.

And put a suggestion in the Hoster new features requests forum for the Find & Replace, they were working on it but this might remind them.
Old May 8th, 2011, 05:37 PM

Okay, I've got my FileRenamer open. In the FileRenamer window, (from here on out I will refer to it as FR), go to the left hand side, and you'll see Desktop, Libraries, and so on. You'll see Computer with a (+) next to it. Click on the (+) to expand it. Once you expand it, you'll see OS (C) with a (+) next to it. Click on the (+) and expand it and you'll see a bunch of folders. Go down to the MTU folder and click the (+) that's next to it to expand MTU. Once it expands, you'll see Hoster, and I have the next folder named KMA Files. Yours may not say that cause I think I renamed it, but I'm not sure. If yours says KMA Files, then that the one you need. If indeed I renamed my folder, then your folder will be called something else but regardless, it will be the folder directly under Hoster. Once you click on that folder, remember, you're still in the FR program, the files will load up on the screen to the right. Once they finish loading, that's when I go to the headers File Name and New File Name and adjust them so the complete titles show. Then you go to the Find/Replace tab and it will open the options you need. In the find box that opens, you need to enter _, and below that in the replace box you click it so your cursor blinks in the box, and hit space. Now all you do is hit the Apply button located center right of FR, and your done. It will rename all your files that have a underscore (_) to a blank space.

Last edited by EmilioM; May 8th, 2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old May 8th, 2011, 05:45 PM

Smile Re: another gem related problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Dennis View Post
I would be very wary about making changes to imported files outside of Hosters edit function.
Hosters data base "Songs.mbd" is a Microsoft Access data base file which can be opened and edited in Access or viewed in the latest versions of Excel.

But it is not advisable to edit in these programs as any changes made will be undone as soon as you use the Rebuild Database function.

As far as I can tell the program EmilioM suggested is much the same as the one I suggested although may be easier to understand and would only change the original file names not the ones in the database.
Perhaps EmilioM can come back on this and prove me wrong.
I have not tried it so can't comment on it.
Whatever you try test it first on a small test amount first before going the whole hog.

And put a suggestion in the Hoster new features requests forum for the Find & Replace, they were working on it but this might remind them.
Roy, that may be true as far as not affecting the database. I always download to a folder first and make any corrections there before importing into Hoster. What he should probably do is go to his folder that contains his music, cut and paste all the songs that have the underscores to a new folder on his desktop. Do a rebuild to wipe out the song files from his database, process the song files that are now located in the folder on his desktop with the aforementioned program, and once corrected, reimport into Hoster.
Old May 8th, 2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbikeerrob View Post
ok i got the program opened it i assume when you said find the OS you meant for me to look in my explorer program and find the folder mtu i did that i tried opening the database file and nothing happens when i click on it
you said to find the folder of my songs and click on it and it will load but nothing happens what is the file name for the part that i can edit i tried database.mdb and all that happens when i click on it is the screen blinks and nothing else happens. i know how to use the find and replace but i cant seem to get the proper folder/ file opened to do it. help!!!
djbikeerrob, no I'm not talking about finding OS in Explorer. I meant on the left hand side of the renamer program you'll see Computer with a (+) next to it. Hit the (+) to expand it and you'll see OS(C) with a (+) next to it. Click the (+) to expand that and you'll see alot of folders. Go down to MTU and click the (+) next to it and you'll see the folder your songs are in. Once you click that folder it will load up in the screen to the right in the FileRenamer program.
Old May 8th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

No program is going to be able edit the songs database file except for Hoster itself. To use any of the file renamers you will need to remove the songs from the database, rename the files without the underlines, then re-import them.
There is no way around this unless you want to keep editing them one at a time in Hoster.
The songs database is not the only thing needs to be changed. Each file has a header in it with this information too. So even if you could open and make changes in the database it would not completely solve the problems.
It really is not as difficult as you think it is. Just search in the edit by bookid or diskid using the multiple search and delete those from the database, then do the renaming and re-import again. The importing for MP3 is very quick.
Old May 8th, 2011, 09:05 PM

ok it loaded the kma files but they are all named things like #01-1.kma and so on i expanded the file name header but still the whole name is still
#01-1.kma there is nothing to edit, no title, simply the kma file name where are the titles? oh and please explain what you mean by OS in your post
Old May 8th, 2011, 09:10 PM

[quote=EmilioM;106937]Okay, I've got my FileRenamer open. In the FileRenamer window, (from here on out I will refer to it as FR), go to the left hand side, and you'll see Desktop, Libraries, and so on. You'll see Computer with a (+) next to it. Click on the (+) to expand it. Once you expand it, you'll see OS (C) with a (+) next to it. Click on the (+) and

please explain what os means? i do not see any os in the list of folders by c i think you mean the c drive? but i do not see any os anywhere if thisis some type of computer shorthand then please explain.
Old May 8th, 2011, 10:29 PM

[quote=djbikeerrob;106944]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilioM View Post
Okay, I've got my FileRenamer open. In the FileRenamer window, (from here on out I will refer to it as FR), go to the left hand side, and you'll see Desktop, Libraries, and so on. You'll see Computer with a (+) next to it. Click on the (+) to expand it. Once you expand it, you'll see OS (C) with a (+) next to it. Click on the (+) and

please explain what os means? i do not see any os in the list of folders by c i think you mean the c drive? but i do not see any os anywhere if thisis some type of computer shorthand then please explain.
OS (C) Stands for operating system c drive. I'm using Windows 7 and that's what the folder says on that operating system. If your seeing C, then that's the one you expand.

Last edited by EmilioM; May 8th, 2011 at 10:52 PM.
Closed Thread