MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old June 19th, 2002, 09:54 AM

Help.. I'm a newbie

Hi,
I just got my new external Plextor CDR and software here from MTU. It looks from the forums like I need to download the new ASPI as I have only been successful at making some Coasters for the trash... I am running Win98se... I'm connected via USB cable (USB 1 not 2)...
Can y'all give me some hints as I have burned plain audio cd's but this is all new.
One other thing.. When I go to copy a disc, it tries to bring up Windows media player....Do I need to disable that? Also when it starts to write the tracks to the blank cdr it tries to pull up my adaptec cd creator? Again do I need to disable that? also for the best quality burns what do ya'll recommend for read spped and write speed... I have a 633 pentium III with only 64k RAM (I know I need to take the time to order more mem)...
I am a KJ host and wish to make a set of copies of my CDG collection.
Any advice would be welcome!
Thanks!
Eric a.k.a The WallerMan...
Old June 19th, 2002, 07:37 PM

Talking I hate making coasters

Item one do down load the new ASPI, and check your Direct X version 8 is recomended.

Second, follow the MTU directions to shut off your AIN, this will stop your media player from cutting in.

Third, I had to uninstall adaptec, it is too easy to reinstall when I need it, but it was a problem when installed for me.

Memory, e-gad with the prices dropping you should drop in a 128K card for about $30, that would give you 192K which is what I use wIth no problem.

Hope this helps!!

I don't work off anything but back ups!! My orgionals stay in the closet untill I trash the back up.

I wish this forum had spell check!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by jim in ohio; June 25th, 2002 at 08:05 AM.
Old June 19th, 2002, 11:10 PM

Eric
I believe the DMA is to be turned on, but not until the installation is complete and you are ready to restart the computer. The Auto Insert Notification is to be turned off. I'd guess most of your problems are driver and memory related.

As thin as you're running on memory it's probably vital that you have no other programs running in the background when using Microstudio. Go to control panel, system, and performance. That'll tell you how much memory is being sucked up by programs running in the background. If the performancr level is say 70% then you only have somewhere around 44-45 mg ram available to operate with, on a 64 mg. system.

Haven't a clue as to why Media player and Adaptec are popping up on you. That's going to be one for support.I've no experience with the USB Burner.As far as write speed where CDG is concerned, although my inboard Plextor will write at 16X I'm not comfortable with speeds over 8X. You'll get 24 different opinions from 24 different people on that one, but at 8X with my Plextor I get completely 100% glitch free cdg's. No random crap on the screen, half shaded letters, etc. I go to the 16X for just plain audio cd's.

Jim,
If you are uninstalling and reinstalling Adaptec(you shouldn't have to do that), after each reinstallation you may have to go back into the device manager and make certain the Auto Insert Notification hasn't gotten turned back on. Adaptec turns it on automatically when being installed.

Take Care,

George

Last edited by George; June 20th, 2002 at 08:57 AM.
Old June 20th, 2002, 08:42 AM

Eric,
Occured to me that if you haven't done it in some time a bit of p.c. maintenance might help. Run disc clean up, then disc scan, then disc defrag. Something may be not quite right in the os considering those odd Media Player and Adaptec problems you're seeing.

Hope this helps. Please advise either way so's support will know if you still need help.

George
Old June 20th, 2002, 03:23 PM

It does sound like you need to update your ASPI drivers from: http://www.mtu.com/vbulletin/showthr...p?threadid=493

Also, check this in Microstudio. Go to the Drives Menu at the top, make sure there is a check beside Enable BurnProof. If not, then check this.

Let us know what happens.
Old June 23rd, 2002, 09:14 PM

Still working on it

Thanks for all the advice. Have not had much time free this weekend. 2 back to back Gigs.
I downloaded all the correct drivers. Burned another coaster at 4X... I am ordering some more memory this week.... I never had this much problem with burning plain audio CD's... Is it that much memory intensive to burn CDG's???
...Eric
Old June 25th, 2002, 12:10 PM

Okay have more memory enroute

Hi Y'all,
I updated all the drivers and followed all of your advice... I'm still burning coasters.... I get to about the 8th track on a disc and it locks up my system.. I am betting it's a memory issue so I just ordered another 128mb ram... Do Y'all think that will clear it up?
WallerMan..
Old June 25th, 2002, 12:43 PM

Wallerman.
Have you tried burning at 1x..., sounds like something is not keeping up. I had a Yamaha drive that would only burn CD&G at this speed.
Hope this helps.

DELL Dimension 4550.
XP Home. (Factory Installed)
Intel Pentium 4CPU 2.40Ghz.
768 Mb Ram.
Boot Drive 1 60gig Turbo
Boot Drive 2 80gig
80gig HD (Storage)
Radeon 9550.
Old June 25th, 2002, 03:43 PM

trying 1x

Not since I downloaded the correct drivers... I tried burning at 4x after I loaded the drivers... I will try 1x tonight as my new memory won't be here for a day or two..
Thanks
Old June 25th, 2002, 05:43 PM

I hate Coasters

I have never had a problem with memory, but I have always had more than I need, I have no experience with the USB burner, but the only coasters I have created with Micro Studio were with some bad media , and trying to write too fast. After you get the memory in try your 4X and go down in speed untill you get a good burn, if you get a good burn at 4X go up untill you start getting crap in your graphics then back off. I have a plex 1610 I read at max and write at 16X and get great backups if the origional was good, because I read so fast sometimes I get a better disc than the origional.
What I use:
Compaq 700mh Celeron
20 gig hard
windows 98 2nd edition
Plextor 1610
192 meg of memory
Micro Studio 2.312
and what ever is cheap media in spools of 100
I blow the burner out every 50 to 100 burns

I wish there was spell check on this forum!!!!!!
Old June 26th, 2002, 12:06 PM

Thanks

Jim,
I have pretty much the same system and after I add the additional 128Mb of RAM I'll be at the same memory level.. I am using Cheap Memorex discs till I get this system down and working, I have a spool of Taiyo Yuden's I'll be using later for on the road so I can archive my originals...
Thanks!
...Eric..
Old June 27th, 2002, 08:34 AM

Question How Close??

How close is your computer to mine, I have a Compaq Presario 5834, that would not burn anything untill Brian Corr on one of these posts told me to check Compaq's site for new drivers downloads, and fixes. I downloaded five that I thought might have something to do with my problem, and other problems and BINGO I've been burning from that point on.

For All Compaq owners having a problem go to:

Compaq.com click on downloads, drivers, and fixes then select the computer you have, they have great support and it is free.

If you don't have a Compaq, go to your manufacturers site and check for new downloads, and drivers and FIXES.
Old June 27th, 2002, 10:34 AM

Thanks Man!!

Hi,
Yeah I have a Compaq 5000 series as well.. 5BW130 with a 667 Celeron..
Yeah I will go to the compaq site tonight and download what I can in the way of drivers.. What all did you download....??
Eric, a.k.a Wallerman
Old June 27th, 2002, 11:14 AM

Question Compaq is now HP??

Compaq is now HP, but you can still use compaq.com and the drivers and downloads will be on the first redirected screen.

To the best of my memory I down loaded 5,

DVD Player Patch
Rom Update
CPQ Mixer Shutdown
DVD Driver Patch
Compaq softpak

I wish I knew for sure which one fixed the Micro Studio problem, but I had more than one problem I repaired with the fixes.

Read what they do and you decide.
Old June 28th, 2002, 05:36 PM

too much work and no time for fun

Dangit, I have been working 12 hour days and have had no time to play with my home puter... Memory arrived and is sitting on the kitchen counter as I've had no time to drop it in... Can't wait till Sunday when I might actually have time to get this thing working...
I want to thank y'all for your ideas!
Eric... a.k.a The WallerMan
Waller, Texas
Old June 28th, 2002, 06:13 PM

Wink Too much time, no work

Don't complain too much about the 12 hour days, I'm an out of work mechanical engineer, but not really out of work, my next project does not start untill the end of August, and I'm already bored of floating in the pool, and you can only stand so much Jerry Springer, my last project ended Feburary.
Go to Compaq's downloads, and drop the memory in, and you should be burning away
Old June 29th, 2002, 04:16 PM

OKay.. I'm getting frustrated now..

Okay... Got the memory in(192k)... downloaded 2 new drivers from Compaq, have all the correct ASPI drivers, reconfirmed all the drive settings.... And after $350.00 spent plus my time I'm still burning coasters...
Here's whats happening... reads the cdg just fine loading it to drive D... Then when I swap in the new cdr and start the burn it goes fine until the same place everytime... It locks up at track 8 65% (and I've tried other cdg's)... So it quits and I hit terminate...Then I get an error from Microstudio that reads Microstudio busy please try again. and the system locks up... I have tried every trick so far... even de-installed my old adaptec direct CD, I have all the updated drivers, I'm starting to think it's the Microstudio software... I am getting very frustrated at this point. Am I missing something????
Old June 29th, 2002, 04:36 PM

Sorry you're having such a hassle. You probably did this, but it's easy to overlook. After the drivers have been installed per Support's post you have to go into Microstudio, click on drives, then ASPI drivers, then select default drivers. To become effective you have to exit the program and re-enter. If that all checks out, then it's something that Support is going to have to work with you on...Sorry

I know how frustrating it can get, having to re-format my h.d 5 times in 6 months.

George

Possible you might have gotten a glitch in the download, especially if you opened it to download instead of saving to disc then opening. have you tried completely uninstalling then going that route?
Old June 29th, 2002, 05:45 PM

Unhappy Thanks but....

Hey Thanks for the advice... Yeah I've tried that a couple of times... I actually purchased the Microstudio disc and have reloaded it twice now.. And yes, I selected the default drivers and rebooted and rebooted, and rebooted...And then rebboted again.. I downloaded all the driver updates from Compaq for my firmware, I even sacrificed a chicken on my patio per the Microstudio instructions. Maybe I said the incantation wrong, but dangit I'm getting frustrated. Does support have PCanywhere? maybe if they could see what I'm seeing they could help..
Just burned another coaster.. system locked up faster this time...track 6... Checked resources... Got plenty of memory now...plenty of drive space.. correct drivers...Whats the deal? I think I must be missing something here...
Old June 29th, 2002, 07:31 PM

Here's some more thoughts

Are you running Direct x8.0(or the newer 8.1) ? Microstudio requires it.

Barring that, it is looking more all the time like the burner is not keeping up with the data it's being sent, at least on the surface to this untrained eye.

What is the processor speed?

Also, in the device manager cdr/cdrw settings is the Sync Data Transfer on?

Is the screen saver off ? Is there an anti-virus program running?

Does the same thing happen at 1X drive speed ?

I'm really grabbing at straws now. Hope I'm not frustrating you even more.

Take care,

George

Last edited by George; June 29th, 2002 at 10:00 PM.