MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old August 5th, 2002, 02:17 PM

What equipment is needed to get started?

Hello,

I'm in the process of starting up a karaoke operation at my business but I wasn't sure what all the equipment that is needed. If anyone is able to offer help I would greatly appreciate it.

So far what I'm looking at is;

Player
Two mics
TV
Amp
Speaker
Music disks

Is this all that is required or should I look at more

Thanks!
Old August 7th, 2002, 06:05 PM

less is more!

New portable startup system with quality components will cost you $9000:

Dell or Sony Notebook PC $1500
Hoster Software $450
Mackie DFX6 6-Channel Mixer with Effects $300
Mackie SRM 450 Amplified PA Speakers $1200
Tri-Pods Speaker Stands $150
Two Shure SM58 Microphones $200
Karaoke CDG's - 200 at an average price of $25 (15 songs) is $5000 for 3000 songs in your book.
Karaoke Books $50
TV for singer $50
Cables $100

NOTICE THAT YOUR BIGGEST EXPENSE WILL BE THE CDG'S AND YOU WILL NEED AT LEAST 3000 SONGS IN YOUR BOOK

Now go out and find somebody who failed to make it in their karaoke business and get a deal on the whole system!

Steve

Last edited by SteveWalker; August 10th, 2002 at 03:24 PM.
Old August 8th, 2002, 05:35 PM

El_Dude

The pieces you have listed are great if you are going to use the equipment in your basement to practice on.

I have to agree with Steve, the best place to get started is to buy out someone trying to get out of the business.

Another way is to contact a large Karaoke dealer and see what they have for packages like Karaoke Warehouse at www.karaokewh.com or use google and just search for Karaoke equipment.

But you say you want to start Karaoke at your business, if your business is a pub, bar, or club, you might want to look into contracting a KJ to supply everything and do the shows for you, thats what some of us do for money. What city are you in, some of us are looking for more gigs.

Jim
Old August 26th, 2002, 05:27 PM

El_Dude

I have found that you can go a lot cheaper by buying GOOD used equipment (failed musician or Karaoke host like the above post stated) do not buy junky beat up equipment. You can definitely get CD's cheaper than $25 however, by going to e-bay, etc and buying them in sets. Keep in mind all discs are not created equal. You do get what you pay for. Brands I really like as far as quality are Sound Choice, DK, and Chartbuster. They average about $8-$10 a cd if you do it this way. You should shy away from buying used cd's unless you can test them before you buy though, I learned that the hard way a time or two.
Old August 27th, 2002, 08:37 AM

Beware of E-Bay

A few of us have media cloq protected Sound Choice Discs, that won't play in our new DVD-CD-CD+G players, and can't be backed up so we are unloading them on e-bay. I've dumped almost 50 there, so beware of what you buy, I'm not advertiseing the fact that these are protected discs.
I just saw a complete Karaoke outfit with 8000 songs, speakers, amps, mikes, stands, player, mixer for $3000 in our local paper. Look around, you can pick up bargins.
Old September 18th, 2002, 05:46 PM

Speaker HELP!!!!!!!! Please.

I'd like to know if anyone has good advice on speakers. I have Peavey sp-5's. They are too big and heavy although they sound great. I am getting tired of toting them up and down the stairs at 1 of my venues.

I would like to know a fairly high power capacity, small (10" or 12") box with horn included that would be ideal for small Karaoke venues. Preferably a non powered speaker since I have a board that is powered already. I also want something rugged but not so expensive I can't afford them. Thanks in advance to anyone that can give me some advice.

Thanks so much,

Louieoke
Old September 18th, 2002, 06:20 PM

Speakers

Louieoke,

Personally I use the SRM450 by Mackie. Yes they are powered and expensive and somewhat hefty. But I think for a portable sound they are the best; personal opinion. I don't know what type mixer you're using but you might consider the EV line or JBL. My friend (who just upgraded to Mackie); used to use the EV speakers. They sounded good. Another friend (who now uses Mackie) used JBL also a good quality sound.

Best advice I can give is this. Buy what YOU think has the best sound. And buy the BEST you can afford at the time. Bargins are out there but as usual, you get what you pay for.

Kelly
Old September 19th, 2002, 11:35 AM

The best advice I have on speakers is always buy plenty of watts.
the smaller the wattage the harder they have to work. Bigger wattage will only be working half as hard and last twice as long.
I have had JBL 450watt five years now and there as good as new, they will last years and there not hard work on your amp.

DELL Dimension 4550.
XP Home. (Factory Installed)
Intel Pentium 4CPU 2.40Ghz.
768 Mb Ram.
Boot Drive 1 60gig Turbo
Boot Drive 2 80gig
80gig HD (Storage)
Radeon 9550.
Old September 19th, 2002, 03:22 PM

Loiueoke,
Don't know what part of the country you live in, but I do my purchasing from

www.karaokewh.com

They have a store near me and I can go and play with the equipment, they have some great small speakers on the site, and their only business is karaoke, you may want to check it out.

Jim
Old September 19th, 2002, 11:40 PM

Location: REDDOG SALOON 11707 DIXIE HWY. LOUISVILLE, KY.40272
Cool STARTUP EQUIP.

DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU WANT TO DO WITH YOUR SETUP!!!
IF YOU WANT TO KJ THEN AN ADDITON OF SOME GOOD LIGHTING FX AND MAYBE SOME FOG.
A GOOD MIXER IS NICE TOO!!!
GOOD LUCK AND BE HAPPY:
Old September 22nd, 2002, 11:38 AM
Frequent Member

Re: What equipment is needed to get started?

Quote:
Originally posted by el_dude
Hello,

I'm in the process of starting up a karaoke operation at my business but I wasn't sure what all the equipment that is needed. If anyone is able to offer help I would greatly appreciate it.

So far what I'm looking at is;

Player
Two mics
TV
Amp
Speaker
Music disks

Is this all that is required or should I look at more

Thanks!
El Dude,
I have an extra amp that I do not need anymore that I would be willing to let go for around $200.00 If interested pull up my profile and email me. It is in good condition, the only blemish is the tape deck's glass or plastic covering is missing- I bought it that way. Every on the AMp works perfectly including th tape deck. Tony L. knows more about this particalar amp as he has one or had on. I'm onle gettin rid of it to help fund the purchase of a Bass Guitaror a new amp I found that I am really intereseted in.. If you are looking for brand new equipment for lower prices try Sam Ash's website. They have a great Samson Amp that I am also considering purchasing for my system- have a friend who has a lower model that kicks ***. This new amp , the 324, has four speaker output- twin amps so you can set it in three modes- Main-main/Monitor-Bridged. That mean you can set up four speakers that in main mode cranks out 150 per speaker, set up one set of speakers as the main and the second set as mointers that are pointed back at the singer or 300 watts bridged through the middle speaker output. It also has built in efffects- meaning you don't need an outside echo module to add echo to the mikes and all the mikes effects are controlled separately from each other.