MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old February 14th, 2005, 01:45 PM

equipment info please!

ok, so I have the discs, books, Bose tower & bases, great mics, and I'm ready to upgrade to laptop and downsize equipment; I have the plexwriter, and understand (basically) the programs offered. But what do I use to connect to the pc to use multiple xlr mics???? What kind of line out do I send to my Bose amp from the pc to hear music? If you are going to tell me it's in the thread, care to show me where? I sure am having trouble finding it. Thanks
Old February 14th, 2005, 02:27 PM

Re: equipment info please!

Email me your number and I'll call you and talk you through it...

[snip email out]
ADMIN NOTE: Folks, you don't want to post your email in a public forum. You will end up on spam lists. Use the PM feature in this Forum to communicate off-line and in privacy.

Ripper

Last edited by admin; February 14th, 2005 at 06:28 PM.
Old February 14th, 2005, 03:44 PM

First you need to realize that hoster and a PC is JUST for the playback of the video and audio for the imported karaoke discs. It is replacing the karaoke player. You should have a mixing board for your mics. carvin, mackie and yamaha make some great boards that are full of features and yet still very small. you would connect your mics into the mic channels and the audio from the laptop into another. hook up your mixer then to the amp.. and then to the speakers.
Beta Test Machine: DELL Inspiron 1721 * Vista Home Premium SP1 * AMD Athlon 64 dual core tk-57 1.90MHz * DVD/CDR Drive * 250GB HDD * 3GB RAM.

Show Work PC: Windows XP Pro sp3 * Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz, 4MB * 2GB DDR2-667 RAM * 80GB HD (C: for OS & Apps) * 500GB HD * 250 GB HD * DVD Recorder (Sony ADW-Q170A) * M-Audio Delta 410 Audio * ATI RADEON X1600 Pro 512MB video.
Old February 14th, 2005, 04:57 PM

Hi, tsingkaraoke. I also have a bose tower. Excellent choice. It is awsome. No you don't need a mixer if you don' t want to be bothered with one. Just plug your xlr mic's into the Bose and your computer directly into the Bose (get a y-adapter stereo mini male to mono male 1/4") the stereo mini goes into the computers line out or headphone out. And then use the remote control that came with your Bose to do the adjustments.

Or, you could do like I did and get a Sound Blaster Extigy. It is and external version of the Audigy. It is a 24 bit sound card as opposed to the 16 bit one built into the computer. The sound is better and the connection is USB! It works well with a notebook or a desktop. The sound is terrific. It is as good as any high end stereo. You obviously like good sound and so do I. Good luck. It is just like fronting a band.

Audiophile
Old February 14th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Blocked From MTU.Community

we also you bose now but we us a mixer & a laptop with it
cause we use 4 wireless mics but that is up to you
Old February 15th, 2005, 08:19 AM

Not to get off the original question, but I have been looking at the Bose PAS, can anyone give me your pros & cons to the system? Have heard it at 2 Guitar Centers, one sounded ok, the other not so good, since everyone likes the sound I have now, it's scary thinking of changing for the money. And - are you using 1 or 2 towers? I'd appreciate any input1
TKaraoke
Old February 15th, 2005, 09:29 AM

the only con that we have come across
is when you are in a small room and you have to put the singer right up on the tower you get some feed back

they say you should be at least 6 feet from them for best result
put some time that is not possible

there is a whole list of pros

I would strongly suggest a mixer a good one the Bose are nice
but a good eq is necessary for rooms that aren't so sound friendly

the vocal just jump out at you I have never had a speaker that the vocal were so strong on
go to bose.com and check out the forum for this product
there is a wealth of feed back from dj/kj there in there forum
Old February 15th, 2005, 10:55 AM

Are you using 1 tower or 2, and 1 or 2 subs per tower?
Thanks
TKaraoke
Old February 15th, 2005, 11:03 AM

1 tower 2 subs

i would not use any thing less then 2 subs
the subs are nice but they still dont move the air like 2 15 drivers do

but i still would not go back to using reg speakers
the only time i would use my double 15 ev is for a large area or out side
where you needed a lot of hard base
but for karaoke i dont think you will find any thing better then the bose !!

and any thing eaiser to carry and to put up or take down
light very light
Old February 15th, 2005, 11:16 AM

Thanks for the info, I'm also trying to downsize, I've switched to #*^@ DJ program and Hoster, which I just love. I am now "only" carrying 2 JBL 15's, Pioneer DJM500 mixer, Beringer mixer for mics and karaoke music both in SKB coffin, an SKB 12 rack case, 8 rack case, plus all the boxes & bags for books, chords, etc. (Used to carry 3 300 disc autio changers plus cd discs, forget that forever!) So the PAS sysyem was real appealing. I was wandering about the bass, and the outside scenario which you have answered, thanks.
TKaraoke
Old March 1st, 2005, 03:37 PM

I have everything now in a five space rack and the. That and the Bose tower and sub is all I need. I even have a small mixer in the rack if I need it.

Audiophile
Old March 5th, 2005, 10:54 AM

This is what we use [click here]
Old June 21st, 2005, 03:02 AM
profane2005

Unhappy please help

i can't figure out how to hook up my stereo sound mixer to my laptop
Old June 23rd, 2005, 12:25 PM

Hooking up stereo

Hi Profane2005
What are you trying to hook into and Out of. If you are hooking a laptop or desktop computer that only has a earphone jack mini 1/8 inch plug going into a stereo you will probably need a Y adapter 1/8 in to RCA you would go from earphone plug and then into the Audio in RCA jacks on your amp, receiver or what ever. If You want to do 1/8 in to 1/4in then you would use either a adapter RCA to 1/4 in or they make Cables that are RCA on one end and 1/4 in on the other. I found those at the local guitar center. On my setup I go from my docking station that has Audio RCA left and right to one of the super channels right/left together in one channel on my amp using RCA to 1/4 in cables. I have more control that way than using just the stereo In, RCA jacks. either way is fine . Hope this helped.
Old June 26th, 2005, 07:01 AM
VIP

That's cool there are so many PAS users here. I made the mistake of mentioning I use PAS over at JOLT and it seemed to bring all the idiots out of the woodwork to criticize it even though none of em had heard it in a professional setting and some had never heard it period.

Any way
Quote:
Not to get off the original question, but I have been looking at the Bose PAS, can anyone give me your pros & cons to the system? Have heard it at 2 Guitar Centers, one sounded ok, the other not so good, since everyone likes the sound I have now, it's scary thinking of changing for the money. And - are you using 1 or 2 towers? I'd appreciate any input1
My experience was GC was not a good place to get a demo. You really need to find a band or DJ that's using them to check em out.

Pros: 170 degree sound coverage side to side (which is why you can get away with using 1 if necessary).
They are very feedback resistant (not proof).
Incredible clarity.
very little volume drop off over distance
Just to name a few

Cons:Very expensive. $2300 USD for a double bass PAS
Because of the expense you won't want to leave them setup over night for fear that someone will screww around with them or steal them.
People dont realize they are speakers in a dark room so some will want to lean on them.
Great side to side coverage but no up and down coverage IE if theres a balcony they won't hear it.
You'll have to put up with self-proclaimed no-it-all audio experts who will try to tell you why Bose can't possibly sound better than their stuff (does it sound like I'm venting).

I'm using 2 double bass systems. In my humble opinion 1 sounds great, two is awsome.

Sam
Old June 26th, 2005, 04:51 PM

equipment

Hi Sam
Currently I am not using Boze That does't mean That I wouldn't later on. I did look at the Boze website and went Gasp at the cost of a basic system. I guess I would have to hear it and especially have to sing on that system to overcome the price tag I know I won't be buying one soon I just spent a large chunk of money for the Computer and hoster Software.
What I am currently using are two separate systems I have one at work a Yamaha EMX 660 which is 600 watts RMS at 4ohms. hooked to this I have a Pair of Peavey Black Widow 12 inch Floor monitors that I can mount on speaker stands and 2 CGM 12 inch Floor monitors for the singer. I use it in a fairly large room or outside and it has terrific sound. I work in a Drug and Alcohol treatment center. My patients love doing sober Karaoke. I now run most everything off my laptop. I previously used a JVC 303 Player and a DVD/CDG player for DVD disks. I now use just the DVd as a back up or to play the DVD songs.
My second system is a Peavey 696 F with Feedback control circuits It will pump out 1200 watts and I have two Yamaha 15 in markIV club speakers, and two Peavey 15in Black widow Monitors connected to it. I use it for Outside and private gigs. I have no shortage of power and could play to a crowd of 10,000 if neccesary. I already had both systems before I got into Karaoke. I really don't do Bar room Karaoke anymore. I suffer from line rotation problems just like everyone else but the Hoster program really helps in that area. My theory about that is that I try to get people who have never sang Karaoke in their life to get up and sing. I will get them in ahead of regulars if I have that information in hand so they don't get discouraged and never sing or never come back My allegiance is with the singer not the guy buying drinks. The owner can worry about it. I have a great selection of songs and if they want to go down the street and put up with the KJ who is singing every other song (That happened to me in Savannah GA) then let them. I will get them up as fast as humanly possible. What I love most about Hoster is when someone is called who already left, I can just go on to the next song/singer cause it is already to go. Thanks to Hoster and MTU for making Sober Karaoke the best it Can be.
John