MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 24th, 2004, 08:27 AM

BMI, ASCAP, and RIAA LEGAL DOWNLOADS

I have done a ton of research and calling and talking to all of the big companies. Let me share what i have learned. If your a LEGAL EAGLE like me you'll be glad!

I contacted a lady at BMI named Pam Gibson reguarding downloading music for shows. I wanted to know why Walmart, Rhapsody, or itunes etc., have in their website "not for public performance or profit" In their user agreement. She said she wasn't sure but probably for the same reasona cd have printed "All rights reserved" and some even say "not for public performance" I asked he how does a DJ play music if he can't even use a purchased CD. She said that we can but I may need to call the RIAA (redord industry) and ask them.

I called the RIAA and said, "Is there a place where I can legally download music?" There directed me to a list on thier website. I said I se in the user agreement this clause. Does this mean I can not play purchased music at a show. He said I obtained it legally he assumes I can use it as long as all liscenses are obtained from BMI or ASCAP.

Back to Pam-- Ok I told here what I learned from RIAA. She informes me that yes the ESTABLISHMENT needs a license. For example if Disturbed is signed with BMI and Creed is with ASCAP. The establishment needs a license from BOTH comanies for you to play music, (DJ or Karaoke) at that said place. If they do not they get in trouble. She said in the number of years she's been there no DJ has ever gotten in trouble/(unless he has illegaly obtained music) That is for the RIAA to get you on this. The websites have this clause to protect themselves. So if a bar or DJ has illegal music or no license. The website can not be dragged inot the mess. and the license from BMI or ASCAP gives you the RIGHT to play it.

So what it ammounts to and the info I recieved from both places is If you legally obtain the music. You can use it to play ONLY. You cannot sell, copy, or ditribute in any other manor.

I don't know if anyone else was concerned witht his but I was. I thought I would share my findings.