MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old April 16th, 2008, 02:33 PM

Has anyone heard of new copyright lawsuits?

I suppose I should ask the MTU bosses about this because they are probably kept right up to date on the whole copyright infringement/format shifting, but once in a while on other forums and other publications, someone will post/publish "the final word on copyright infringement and format shifting."

Has anyone heard of any new settlements or precedent-setting court cases regarding this issue? I am so tired of defending what I've done and would LOVE to have the most up to date info on this.

Too much heresay and people spouting old information with "great authority." Edification is a wonderful thing and would love to have some myself and share it with others!

K
Old April 16th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Karen the best place to look is here - http://www.mtu.com/support/copyright-notes.htm
MTU does periodically have done legal research to protect them and us. No cases have ever been brought against either. The only cases have been venue (bars, restuarants, etc.) owners by Ascap and BMI for their required licenses for entertainment.
Old April 16th, 2008, 06:18 PM

Thanks. I have, in fact, actually printed this out for people who are doubting my veracity on the issue. Just gets old. I don't know where people get their information. I try and keep up because the last thing I want to do is pass on incorrect or incomplete information to people.

I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything more recent. Seems like there are a lot of cases pending right now. I read the case involving Greg Lazarroni (sp?) of Karaoke.com, related to the short audio clips they have on their site so you can listen to a blip of a new song, and copyright infringement.

k
Old April 16th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

From what I can gather this is a lawsuit against a retailer using short excerpts from items they are trying to sell. This is a totally different use than what we are doing in Hoster.
Old April 16th, 2008, 06:57 PM

I understand that. In fact, I spent a good while reading the 28-page case...

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll just get that glazed over look in my eyes when someone starts telling me what I've done is illegal by converting every single song I have purchased legally to my computer....

K
Old April 16th, 2008, 08:18 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen K View Post
... Guess I'll just get that glazed over look in my eyes when someone starts telling me what I've done is illegal by converting every single song I have purchased legally to my computer....

K
Ditto, thats why I stay out of those forum debates. Just when things quiet down some armchair lawyer will show up and explain why he's right and youre wrong and how he's so much smarter than than the REAL lawyers hired by MTU and others to study the issue. If it were undebateably illegal, Sound Choice and others would be going after us (and MTU for providing the tools to commit a crime) instead of spending years just telling us it's illegal.

Sam
Old April 17th, 2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindonstrike View Post
Just when things quiet down some armchair lawyer will show up and explain why he's right and youre wrong and how he's so much smarter than than the REAL lawyers hired by MTU and others to study the issue.
I try to use common sense and prayer. As Sam says there are too many people with too many opinions. If you are happy with the way you are handling your business, keep on going no matter what others say. If you are not comfotable with the way you are doing business, change it. MTU's research is the most compete effort I've seen by anyone to try and make sense of this issue.

Remember, if (and that's a BIG if) a lawsuit is filed against any Karaoke host, it's up to the host to defend their actions regardless of what others do. We all sail our own ship!

(Sam, I hope I'm not sounding like an armchair lawyer. )

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200