MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old January 27th, 2008, 10:12 AM

Keeping your songs safe from employees copying files

OK, here's a dilemma??? I want to grow my business, let's say i want a second KJ out doing a show, I am concerned that handing a "hired" KJ my hard drive with over 10,000 songs (KMA files of course) might expose me to that person "stealing" "copying" my files. How can I protect myself from this happening. It was more difficult for someone to figure out how to copy 700 cd's in one night, but with HDD now, how do we protect ourselves. Is there a way to lock down my laptop or something so that nothing can be copied from it without a "code".

thanks
Old January 27th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Not currently. MTU has talked about an encryption scheme because this has come up before but nothing has been done as yet. Xp doesn't offer any way to do it that I know of. I'm not familiar enough with Vista to know if it can be done in it, but Vista has given so many problems to everybody (not just MTU) that many people are going back to XP.
Old January 27th, 2008, 11:15 PM

One possible solution. The guy who built my computer for me, putin two hard drives. So that I could mirror one and use in case of a crash. When he did this, he installed " locking " hard drives. You need a key to remove the hard drive. Two reasons. One, I could unlock and remove the hard drive I use, so I don't have to take the whole system home at the end of the night. And, Two, so no one can REMOVE my hard drive. I have two keys. One on me and one at home for back up. Daryl.
Old January 28th, 2008, 02:29 PM

but can't someone just hook a HD via USB up to system and just copy the files over??
Old January 28th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

He is not talking about having a second user as you are. His purpose is to keep anybody other than him from using those hard drives. That won't work for what you want.
Old January 28th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Administrator

[quote=oncall;70054Is there a way to lock down my laptop or something so that nothing can be copied from it without a "code".[/QUOTE]
Currently not that I am aware of.

The problem is not trying to force Windows to prevent copying the files, but IF the files are copied, which they will be, then we are working on preventing them from playing on another computer. However, if you didn't make an unprotected master disc, you'd have to re-import all your songs when you have a second system. Of course to be legal, you will still need to buy all the songs for the second system. It's just that we can make it so you can copy the HDD with the KMA files, then encrypt the song for that computer only.

We have the core protection software required. We are planning on making this a product for KJ companies like you want to become. It is doable. We just need to get a break in our schedule to put this all together.

It will probably have some web site sign-on to help insure the right person is using it.

I was hoping to get this out last year, but didn't. I'd like to say this year, but probably around or after mid-year.
Old January 29th, 2008, 12:06 AM

At this point the only answer is obvious don't hire someone you don't trust. Your dilemma is of concern and you must hire someone you trust. If that person then pirates your hard drive, an easy thing to do is turn them in the moment they start using songs they don't own.
Old January 29th, 2008, 06:16 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by swany View Post
At this point the only answer is obvious don't hire someone you don't trust. Your dilemma is of concern and you must hire someone you trust. If that person then pirates your hard drive, an easy thing to do is turn them in the moment they start using songs they don't own.
Ya but turn them into who?
The only way the police MIGHT get involved is if they actually stole the hard drive itself. Intellectual property they rarely mess with. The FBI and US Marshalls usually have bigger fish to fry. KAPA and RIAA don't have any police powers.
If it were just a matter of turning in pirates, piracy and all of its associated problems would all but disappear.

Sam
Old February 1st, 2008, 05:14 PM

Reckon it needs a little clarifying. I'm thinking the person is going to sell the service once they steal the kma files and when they do turn their tails in and see if they can come up with the necessary discs to show they own them. That was my thought on the matter.
Old March 5th, 2008, 06:33 PM
VIP

why not just hide the file ?

Windows 10

Hoster 5.10
Old March 20th, 2008, 01:43 PM

This should be a concern of anyone that copies their discs to hard drive. One of my KJs who also worked as my equipment manager and office manager copied all of my karaoke files and started his own business. He undercut my prices (because he could afford to with free music) and took a handful of my venues with him. Don't trust anyone. I gave him a place to stay when he was homeless. Bailed him out of financial trouble and was even best man at his wedding. Anyone can covet what you have. Do your homework and take precaution. You worked hard to get where you are. Do not let anyone take what is yours.
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilichili1 View Post
This should be a concern of anyone that copies their discs to hard drive. One of my KJs who also worked as my equipment manager and office manager copied all of my karaoke files and started his own business. He undercut my prices (because he could afford to with free music) and took a handful of my venues with him. Don't trust anyone. I gave him a place to stay when he was homeless. Bailed him out of financial trouble and was even best man at his wedding. Anyone can covet what you have. Do your homework and take precaution. You worked hard to get where you are. Do not let anyone take what is yours.
I am wondering if you could make a computer theft case out of this. If your local or state DA could make a case out of it he would have to produce the original discs to prove he didn't. Or you could make a civil case against him. Unfortunately the recording associations and the karaoke producers association won't go after them.
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:44 PM

Local authorities just kinda through their hands up in the air. As far as the producers of karaoke, I think there maybe some changes coming. For this guy and people like him, the free ride may be short lived.