MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old August 31st, 2004, 02:14 PM

I just can't seem to find anything that works and is easy to run.
Thanks for any input
Jeff
Old August 31st, 2004, 09:55 PM

Re: I want to be able to record singers? (any suggestions on software)

Most frugal thing I've found is a cassette recorder and plextools edition 7. It has a sound editor for downloading tape tracks, in the tools section of the recorder is all kinds of enhancements you can add after downloading, save it to a file on your hard drive burn to a cd. This is what I have, bought it just to convert tapes to cd's but have recorded several friends singing and transferred to cd for them. Take care and have fun. Swany
Old September 1st, 2004, 06:21 AM

A Number of the KJ's in my area of the world got together some years ago and pondered the idea of recording our customers singing and giveing them the tape(s) and most of us figured that their might be some legal issues in that regard.

The reasoning was that, in the process of doing that, you wind up giving the customer a copy of the copyrighted song. The only way around that, we figured, was if the customer were to bring in his/her own copy of the karaoke song and you record them doing that. That way, it more easily falls under the "fair use" clause.

Not a definitive answer by any means but, it may be worth pondering before proceeding.

Not knowing for sure, is the worst thing.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedeaf
Thanks for any input
Jeff
Thank you for the input, the legality of using copyright music has me thinking maybe not such a good idea. Have a great musical day all
Old September 7th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdayton
A Number of the KJ's in my area of the world got together some years ago and pondered the idea of recording our customers singing and giveing them the tape(s) and most of us figured that their might be some legal issues in that regard.

[snip]
Not knowing for sure, is the worst thing.
Regretfully, this is illegal... UNLESS... you have the rights/ownership to use AND distribute the music.

Is It Legal gives more details for you to consider.
Old September 8th, 2004, 09:32 AM

in my reading of the fair use for "PRIDDIS" I understand their wordage as allowing the use of their tracks for "DEMO TRACKS". But I would ask them first, and if that is the case, use only Priddis cdg's for this purpose.
Old September 10th, 2004, 08:37 PM

Ask a local band if you can tape them while practicing, tape the instruments only. Most bands try to keep up with newer music. Tell them you need instrumentals for you projects. Can't say as you would infringe on anyones rights at that point. They may do the songs you want just for the heck of it. Mayhaps you could convert one of their own songs if they have one, to karaoke and give them the credits at the end of it. Never know if you don't ask. Up here in Howard City, Mich we have the Great Northern Music Hall. Many bands come in to just practice, or tape or just jam with friends. You may have something similar in your area. Might be and idea to get written permission if you do a song they have written. Just for your safety. Have fun and good luck. Swany
Old September 10th, 2004, 10:10 PM

Swany said:

Quote:
Ask a local band if you can tape them while practicing, tape the instruments only. Most bands try to keep up with newer music. Tell them you need instrumentals for you projects. Can't say as you would infringe on anyones rights at that point.
I'd wonder about that one. They would be playing copywritten material which you in turn would record and use commercially.

If it were that easy to beat the system, then why are sites who carry instrumental MIDI's that have been sequenced (often not even coying the original artis's arrangement)using the just their own arrangement of the tune, shutting down because of copywrite infringement?

Somebody owns those songs and lyrics.

George
Old September 13th, 2004, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedeaf
Thanks for any input
Jeff

I seen one KJ in our area that has a "featured" singer once a month or so, this "featured" singer is Video taped, however the video image from the camera is ran through the Karaoke system, and the words are placed on top of the video image of the singer singing. I think that the only copy is given to the singer after they are finished, and the featured singer is the only singer for about 30 mins or so, so it plays 1 song after another.

I think that a video camera is used and a VCR, I think the VCR is placed in line before the monitors that are through out the estabishment, the one monitoer that the singer uses does not have the camera video feed into it.

It was very nice...

I imagine somewhere if someone were to get a wild hair up their butt, they might try something about legally about it...but I didn't see any difference between the someone sitting in the place video taping it, however the sound is better as the sound hook ups are ran through the vcr.

It seemed to me that every time there was a "featured" singer, I think there are about 8 a year, that these people bring refershments. Finger foods, and cookies, cakes, etc...

If there is a will there is a way to record a show.

Alan.
Old October 12th, 2005, 10:08 AM

Well, there is way...but you have to use Roxio,Sony software or Cretive Sound Card(Audigy2)to do so.

Roxio
There a software inside Media Creator that is called Sound Editor, you just have to open, adjust your record volume and that's it.

Sony
Use the Soundforge Audio Studio to record audio on the fly as with Roxio.

Creatiive
This one the best since that sound card includes a Karaoke feature with the card software where you can control the input of the music and the input from the mic separately. You can even add effects to both or to a single input. On the front panel of the card you will find a 1/4 input for the mike and the volume control. I have used it myself and it sounds great but is a little expensive, about $220.

About the legally aspect of these I don't know. I am talking about a process to record not encouraging you to do so commercially. I don't think that someone recorded at a show will be able to sell thousands of copies of his performance. I have a friend that has a license from ASCAP and he records people but he has to keep a log of the recordings and pay a small fee for each song. I know , that he should be able to provide his log for them to audit. I will have to consult him for further instructions and details.

Hope that my sug's help you out.

Last edited by rickyrey; October 12th, 2005 at 10:18 AM.