MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old July 13th, 2010, 11:17 AM
VIP

FYI - UK "Piracy" lawsuit

I copied this directly from a UK site that sells MP3G downloads, so you can see it's not just happening here in the good ole USA.

Quote:
The first joint BPI & PPL UK Karaoke Piracy case brought to court results in 3 year sentence! Finally the net is closing in on KJs who buy and use pre-loaded hard drives at their shows, and also the people who are making and selling the drives. Anyone who runs a karaoke show off an illegal hard drive should now realize how seriously the courts will take their crime and think twice before hooking up that dodgy hard drive? Below are the details.....

A well known figure in the UK karaoke scene who defrauded the music industry of more than £500,000 was sent to prison on Thursday after being convicted at Newcastle Crown Court. Malcolm Wylie, 59, and his son, Peter were charged with setting up a number of companies selling illegal music systems to pubs and clubs across the North East.
  • Wylie Sr admitted one count of distributing infringing copyright work and was sentenced to three years in prison and banned from taking the position of director for 10 years.
  • Wylie Jr was found guilty by a Crown Court jury of two counts of the same offense and given a nine-month prison sentence and a 15-month sentence, to run concurrently.
  • William Ross, the third defendant, was given a 36-week prison sentence, suspended for one year as part of a community order.

David Groome, Prosecuting Attorney said, “In broad terms, none of the music and videos used with the systems was properly licensed. The defendants’ business obtained the music by illegally downloading it from the Internet and by copying it from CDs.”

But has it all come too late for the beleaguered karaoke producers who have seen their sales fall to an all time low, while the popularity of karaoke has never been greater?

Last edited by Skybird74; July 13th, 2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old July 13th, 2010, 01:49 PM

Re: FYI - UK "Piracy" lawsuit

Thanks for the information from across the pond. With that being said, i think the last thing we really need is another long pirate type thread. But just my thoughts on a couple of things in the article, and that you stated as well. I think if anyone is dumb enough to deliberately sell preloaded hard drives to clubs, or individuals, he deserves what he gets. Nowhere on line have i read of anyone thinking other wise. But that's not what is happening here in the USA on a large scale. What we object to here, is having someone go into a club, and assume both the kj, and club owner are a thief, simply because of the legal method they chose to present their show. A big difference. Just because a kj decides for whatever reason, {health reasons in my case}, to present his show, with legal disc he owns, by means of a laptop and presentation software, he's considered a thief, untill he can prove other wise. Is simply unacceptable.

Also i have seen no published evidence anywhere, that the half hearted exploitational efforts of the karaoke disc manufacturers has helped our industry at all. Just the opposite is true in fact. Sound Choice for instance has not increased their disc or download sales, caused a major deterrent to the pirating situation, or has increased legal kj's income. As a matter of stated published fact. It has indeed caused confusion, loss of legitimate kj's income, a loss of karaoke job opportunities, a rise in the cost of new monthly professionally produced karaoke cd+g disc, and hard feelings and mayhem among the very kj's they claim to be helping. Sort of cutting off their foot to make a major step forward.

I know your thoughts behind this post are honorable, and meant to bring us this important karaoke news. Thank You again for your informative news worthy thread. However, under the guiese of sound choice, i would have to lable you as dishonest, and having an agenda to raise their sales or something....see what i mean about assuming something, being unjustly accused, and making you yourself prove other wise?
And just a quick side note, don't loose any sleep over the finacially ruined, hurt, abused, "beleaguered karaoke producers". They never once reached out to their loyal customers whom have supported them for years, for even a simple suggestion to their woes. In fact, they have lost customers...i am just one of many. Again, thank you for the news you've posted. Much appreciated. George
Old July 13th, 2010, 05:23 PM
VIP

[QUOTE from Musicman 51)
I know your thoughts behind this post are honorable, and meant to bring us this important karaoke news. Thank You again for your informative news worthy thread.
[/quote]

That's it exactly - News of interest - no "one person" is being picked on! This Forum is no place to "complain", but a way of sharing what we know & helping each other. If we don't like something, then we need to contact our Congressman or other legal rep. in order to get any rules or laws changed. My agenda is to get people to "pay attention & Vote" when called upon.

I have shown this to some of my customers, only because they don't seem to understand why I don't have "everything" that they can find at some other Shows & why I won't buy one of those hard drives. This is also why I "admire" MTU - they have always been straight with us & maybe people are finally beginning to undertand why they have always stressed being "legal".
Old July 13th, 2010, 07:13 PM

Thank You my point exactly.....Not sure what voting has to do with karaoke...but ok.

Quote:
they have always stressed being "legal".
As i did in my post as well. And that's why we all use mtu. Again, thank you for the thread.