MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old November 4th, 2006, 03:25 PM

PlexWriter and Microstudio V3.000 HELP

I have been using Microstudio programs for my CDGs since 2000 with the same PlexWriter 48/24/48A up until about a month ago when my last version of Microstudio (V2.500) would not let me use it anymore (due to inadvertently 'cleaning' off some old files). I decided to get the new V3.000 version, but, unfortunatley, I cannot import (it locks up my computer forcing me to do a restart) or record a CDG from the songs I imported as recently as a couple months ago. I've gone through the manual, tried changing the speeds and such to no avail. Memory and speed of my computer are not issues - there is plenty of both. Can anyone help with what I can do to make the V3.000 version work with my drive? Any advice is appreciated! In the alternative - can anyone tell me how to fix my old V2.500 version (I can't afford a new drive for a very long time)? JoEvil
Old November 4th, 2006, 07:39 PM

Same thing happens with my new microstudio 3.0 and the new Hoster 3.312. I to have been using MTU products since slightly befor 2000 with very few problems. When I downloaded 3.0, my laptop with a USB Plexwriter 24/10/40 froze up. I tried to resolve the problem by downloading new firmware but it had the same result.

On my show PC I downloaded the new Hoster and new Mircostudio and both work fine with Plextor 716 and a generic lite-on DVD writer, but when I tried the USB Plexwriter 24/10/40, both programs kept freezing up.

In order to use my back-up laptop, I went back to hoster 3.303 and microstudio 2609. Both programs are now working fine with the USB Plextor 24/10/40. And my PC is working fine with the new Hoster and Microstudio programs using plextor 716.

Regards to all, Dave
Old November 5th, 2006, 12:05 PM

Smile Thank you!

Thank you for responding so quickly! You mentioned downloading new firmware and realized I did not do that yet! So I went to the Plextor site, downloaded the upgrade I needed and now my PlexWriter loads just fine. I have not tried recording yet, but it appears I have got past the biggest problem I was having. Thank you so much!! JoEvil
Old November 5th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Dave, thanks for helping Jo here.

The Plextor 24x is a very old drive... technology wise. We are now using the latest Microsoft drive interfacing means, and older drives may not work. I have seen several problems posted related to Plextor 24x drives.

You have created a valid solution to use this drive with prior MTU versions that used the "older" techniques to interface to drives. There is always the possibility that some drives won't work with the latest technology. We don't have a firm answer yet, but we will be researching to see if the 24x can work some way.
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Dave, thanks for helping Jo here.

The Plextor 24x is a very old drive... technology wise. We are now using the latest Microsoft drive interfacing means, and older drives may not work. I have seen several problems posted related to Plextor 24x drives.

You have created a valid solution to use this drive with prior MTU versions that used the "older" techniques to interface to drives. There is always the possibility that some drives won't work with the latest technology. We don't have a firm answer yet, but we will be researching to see if the 24x can work some way.
Thanks Admin for your quick response, now I have two more question.

1. Will I have the same trouble with Plexwriter 40/12/40 with the new hoster and the new microstudio releases?

2. When I download firmware for a USB CD writer, does the firmware download and attach itself into the computer or does it download into the cd writer itself? If it attaches to the CD writer, then I assume that I will be able to connect it any computer.

Regards, Dave
Old November 7th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Heidersche View Post
Thanks Admin for your quick response, now I have two more question.

1. Will I have the same trouble with Plexwriter 40/12/40 with the new hoster and the new microstudio releases?

2. When I download firmware for a USB CD writer, does the firmware download and attach itself into the computer or does it download into the cd writer itself? If it attaches to the CD writer, then I assume that I will be able to connect it any computer.

Regards, Dave

Dave,
You shouldn't have trouble with the 40x as it is newer (still old but newer than the 24x.) Just make sure all MS Windows updates are done and the firmware is up to date.

When you download the firmware from Plextor you need to save the file rather than open it. The firmware comes in the form of an executable zip file. When you run the file (double click) it loads its information into the CD Drives flash memory (it won't lose the information when powered off). So yes the drive can be attached to any computer after that and will have the update.
Old November 7th, 2006, 02:19 PM

A giant help, I'll try it as soon as I can and post the results. Thank you and regards, Dave.
Old November 8th, 2006, 01:40 PM

Success with plexwriter 40/12/40 on both the new Hoster and new Microstudio. Thanks to all involved. Regards, Dave