MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old January 21st, 2009, 08:19 PM

What kind of speakers do you use?

We've talked about mixers and compresser and effects processors.
I use an old set of EV Eliminators. They have great horns and produce thumping bass. I like them because they are what I and many other small bands in the area used "back in the day", and I think they sound good.
I'm seriously considering going to the bose sticks L2 or whatever their called.
Old January 21st, 2009, 08:44 PM
Honor Roll

I use a set of 18" Crates that I have had forever. Thank goodness I don't have to tote them around
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:20 PM
VIP

2 Bose L1's with 4 B1's

Sam
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:20 PM

Hey,

I use a pair of powered RCF 312 art series. They have really served me well and I often get compliments on the sound which I attribute to the speakers of course.
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:33 PM
VIP

I run a set of Peavey SP-5's bi-amped & 2 Peavey DJS1800 18" subs for my current club - these are in the planning stages of being upgraded to possibly the JBL SR series. Also use a pair of Peavey SP4 - also bi-amped, a set of Carvin 1588 along with a pair of Carvin Dual 18" subs - for a tri amped system for large club shows with elevated stages or for long clubs that need the extra push.
The Bose sticks do not work in my club, not enough oomph for the crowd. Tried them out, they do work great as monitors.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:00 AM

yeah thats what I was wondering. the bose are desinged as monitors and thats what they are. I wasn't sure how they would work in the this bar? The Ev's I have are made for small bands PA systems and they work great in this size bar.

P.S. my friends at guitar center tell me the JBLs need the horn upgraded to work long and strong
Old January 22nd, 2009, 09:13 AM

i now use a pair of active Mackie SRM450's and a pair of active SA1521Z,( i used to have a pair 2 way and 3 way SF JBL speakers, 4 peavey sp 1-18 subs and an old peavey RBS2 2-18 subs, 2 yamaha stage monitors 6 peavey amps and 2 crown amps ..i since sold all of them)
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:51 AM
VIP

Bose L1's make expensive monitors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKiller View Post
yeah thats what I was wondering. the bose are designed as monitors and thats what they are. I wasn't sure how they would work in the this bar? The Ev's I have are made for small bands PA systems and they work great in this size bar.

P.S. my friends at guitar center tell me the JBLs need the horn upgraded to work long and strong
The Bose L1 PAS system has its drawbacks ( mainly in long divided areas), but when it comes to the weight, consider that your amplifier is built into the base of the "stick" (24 of the tiny acoustimass speakers ) that weighs just about 65 lbs assembled. For the 3 small venues ( 40 - 50 seats) and the other 2 medium size ( 70 - 80 seats ) venues that I perform in right now, the one L1 system with dbl base units is more than adequate ( I'm using about 60% power, in a crowded bar with horrible acoustics). I have done private parties in banquet halls of 300-400 seats, and outside where I get to use most of the capabilities of the system, and the client has yet to be disappointed!

If you are a mobile KJ that is getting up in years like I am ( 57 ), then you are probably looking for an "easy on the back" sound system that will have the audience wondering where all the sound is coming from! Go give the Bose system a test drive! They have a 30 day, no questions asked, return policy from your local Guitar Center. Super easy set-up, in less than 10 minutes including wiring connections!

I will be adding a second L1 Model II in the near future, where I will be able to overcome the shortlist of drawbacks that I have incurred mainly in doing private house parties, where I would like to have inside/outside sound & the atypical, laid out bar that is disjointed and very long. ( Middle of room set up with 2 of the L1's, back to back, would be a great setup to overcome the minimal sound array that only 1 system allows me now.)

I've had my Bose system about as long as I've had Hoster (5 yrs), and wouldn't recommend anything else for a mobile KJ! I can setup and tear down in under 30 minutes, and have done 2 gigs in one day several times without wearing out my favorite roadie! (Girlfriend) LOL

Rick
Rikki Tikki Karaoke
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKKI TIKKI View Post
The Bose L1 PAS system has its drawbacks ( mainly in long divided areas), but when it comes to the weight, consider that your amplifier is built into the base of the "stick" (24 of the tiny acoustimass speakers ) that weighs just about 65 lbs assembled. For the 3 small venues ( 40 - 50 seats) and the other 2 medium size ( 70 - 80 seats ) venues that I perform in right now, the one L1 system with dbl base units is more than adequate ( I'm using about 60% power, in a crowded bar with horrible acoustics). I have done private parties in banquet halls of 300-400 seats, and outside where I get to use most of the capabilities of the system, and the client has yet to be disappointed!

If you are a mobile KJ that is getting up in years like I am ( 57 ), then you are probably looking for an "easy on the back" sound system that will have the audience wondering where all the sound is coming from! Go give the Bose system a test drive! They have a 30 day, no questions asked, return policy from your local Guitar Center. Super easy set-up, in less than 10 minutes including wiring connections!

I will be adding a second L1 Model II in the near future, where I will be able to overcome the shortlist of drawbacks that I have incurred mainly in doing private house parties, where I would like to have inside/outside sound & the atypical, laid out bar that is disjointed and very long. ( Middle of room set up with 2 of the L1's, back to back, would be a great setup to overcome the minimal sound array that only 1 system allows me now.)

I've had my Bose system about as long as I've had Hoster (5 yrs), and wouldn't recommend anything else for a mobile KJ! I can setup and tear down in under 30 minutes, and have done 2 gigs in one day several times without wearing out my favorite roadie! (Girlfriend) LOL

Rick
Rikki Tikki Karaoke
for small ( house) private parties ( 40-50 people) i use my active ( powered ) krk studio monitors, 2 small 6"mains and a (1)10" sub, and for ( 50 -100 people ) house parties, i use my other krk 8" and the 10" sub, and believe me these speakers will rattle windows specially with the 10" sub,i have the mains mounted on a speaker stands,4ft. off the ground,and the subs under my dj stand.and it's easy on my back, they're like 10 lbs ea., i have used my 8" and the 10" sub on a private pool party and i had so much compliments..they couldn't believed that those little speakers can bring out that much power..( i was told by guitar center personnel that i shoudnt be using it that way, but i've been doing it for over a year now, and i haven't see any problems..yet )

Last edited by billyo; January 22nd, 2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:52 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKiller View Post
yeah thats what I was wondering. the bose are desinged as monitors and thats what they are...
Uh...no... The L1's and L2's were not designed as monitors, they were designed for bands to replace monitors as well as mains. Ideally each instrument or vocalist would have there own, although potentially you can connect up to 4 devices per.

They were not designed as a PA for DJ or karaoke although many folks use them (myself included) with excellnt results. Some folks like'em and some do not

You can read the experiences and challenges of DJ's and KJ's (good and bad) in the DJ portion of the Bose forum, as well those of musicians in general.

Sam
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:29 AM
VIP

Talking Bose Monitors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindonstrike View Post
Uh...no... The L1's and L2's were not designed as monitors, they were designed for bands to replace monitors as well as mains. Ideally each instrument or vocalist would have there own, although potentially you can connect up to 4 devices per.

They were not designed as a PA for DJ or karaoke although many folks use them (myself included) with excellnt results. Some folks like'em and some do not

You can read the experiences and challenges of DJ's and KJ's (good and bad) in the DJ portion of the Bose forum, as well those of musicians in general.

Sam
Yeah, what he said!!!!....

I knew Sam had a couple of the Bose L1's, and that maybe he would chime in!!! I have been trying to replace mine with a better system for a couple of years, but haven't found one!!! They sound as natural, loud or soft, as you can find!! You can talk over them, even if you are sitting in front of the stick, and if you raise them off the floor a couple of feet and get above the normal crowd, they are amazing to the naked ear. Again, some will love them, and some will say they are inadequate for large venues. I will be the first to add another L1 as soon as I can afford it! They are not monitors! They are fine tuned prodigies of a new concept that fit in a new genre of speaker/pa systems, and should be at least tried and compared to the norm, that will be hard to change/exchange for the majority, but then again I don't consider myself the norm, and want to be on the cutting edge of the KJ business, and will try to stay one step ahead of my competition!!!

Rick
Rikki Tikki Karaoke
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:40 AM
VIP

Actually the L1's were originally intended for basically stage monitors for bands, not in the exact sense, but they were originally names the PAS (Personal Amplification System) so that one could sit by each band member instead of a monitor speaker out in front of them. But they were found by some to be fairly ok as FOH speakers as well. So they dropped the PAS & just went with the part name of L1.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:29 AM
VIP

The L1 photo attached isn't exactly karaoke related but it's kind of interesting none-the-less.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Bose L1.bmp (767.8 KB, 18 views)
Old January 23rd, 2009, 08:52 AM

a friend of mine who does karaoke called me and wanted me to hear his new bose speakers (towered ), i was impressed , sounded good, playback wise, but when it came to vocals, i wasnt so impressed, in my opinion bose speakers are good for strictly djing, (music playbacks)..
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:03 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
a friend of mine who does karaoke called me and wanted me to hear his new bose speakers (towered ), i was impressed , sounded good, playback wise, but when it came to vocals, i wasnt so impressed, in my opinion bose speakers are good for strictly djing, (music playbacks)..
I have a competitor (but a good friend) and she uses the L1 with the subwoofer. I think its ok for small venues, but lacks the driving that you would get from a PA systems. We have been over this once before. So I don't want to start any more BOSE vs the world. LOL

I will stick with my Behringer EP1500 and my Yamaha S15's and BR15's for now....
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvic View Post
I have a competitor (but a good friend) and she uses the L1 with the subwoofer. I think its ok for small venues, but lacks the driving that you would get from a PA systems. We have been over this once before. So I don't want to start any more BOSE vs the world. LOL

I will stick with my Behringer EP1500 and my Yamaha S15's and BR15's for now....
me too with my Mackie active SRM 450's & SA1521Z's speakers and boards
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:19 PM

What kind of speakers do you use

I use one L2 w/2 b1 subs for small 100-200 venues, 2 L2 w/4B1 subs for larger venues, (largest to date is 1,300) with the T1 Tone Engine. Plenty left if needed, vocals sound great. The T1 Tone engine is small but has all the bells and whistles any sound man could want, and it is user friendly. Everyone says it is the best sound system at every venue. I have used all the "big stuff" with all the trimmings, still have it. Ran shows with pro sound for thirty years. Wouldn't use anything but the L2 system, which is superior to the L1, unless i do large outdoor pro sound where max watts are needed. Most sound people know this.
But to each his own. Change and acceptance is hard.
muzicman
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:56 PM

i have nothing against BOSE, just got 1 question to those who uses the BOSE system, would they (speakers ) run or will it work/sounds good without the subs? just wondering, years ago when i first saw the system, i knew someone that uses them( panaray series )and he had some kind of a controller to run the low end ..i think?

Last edited by billyo; January 23rd, 2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:34 PM

What kind of speakers do you use

Quote:
i have nothing against BOSE, just got 1 question to those who uses the BOSE system, would they (speakers ) run or will it work/sounds good without the subs? just wondering, years ago when i first saw the system, i knew someone that uses them( panaray series )and he had some kind of a controller to run the low end ..i think?
I personally think the sound isn't so good with one B1 Sub. I feel you must have at least two per L2 tower. I have worked sound for years, this is the best sound for the size i have ever heard. Now, as i said, for top of the line pro sound for 2,000 up, i would use my pro sound system. The tone engine connects to your computer via USB, no more 1/8 or rca plugs.
muzicman
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:51 PM
VIP

Quote:
Does the SRM 450 sound good with out subs?

The L1 with a B1 (bass module - 2 6" woofers - they are not subs) will give you about the same frequency range as the SRM 450, so if I wanted bass below about 40 Hz I would want to add a third party subwoofer. The power stand has connections and crossovers for this.

The L1 by its lonesome prduces frequencies of 110 Hz to 18000 Hz. When the B1 is connected the L1's bottom end changes to 180 Hz so the B1 can take over the 180-40 HZ range.

These have little in common with the panaray so no special controllers are needed

Sam