MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old February 1st, 2008, 04:36 PM

Question Looking for a replacement Amp

BTW, Anyone have any experience with the Behringer EP 1500 or EP 2500 power amps? I need to replace the my DOA Mackie amp. Seems to be cheaper to get an new amp vs repairing the old one.

This is for my backup system which normally is my DJ system with A Gemini Dual CD unit, a Mackie DFX 12 mixer and two Yamaha 15" drivers with a Fender 12" floor monitor.
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old February 3rd, 2008, 10:40 AM

Age of host

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvic View Post
Mad Jim,

I don't feel like I own everything! but I'm tryin! Isn't that a song by Trace Adkins?

BTW, Anyone have any experience with the Behringer EP 1500 or EP 2500 power amps? I need to replace the my DOA Mackie amp. Seems to be cheaper to get an new amp vs repairing the old one.
I recomend the QSC line. Very quiet, dependable, great for the money.
I don't like the Behringer line. But some do.
muzicman
Old February 3rd, 2008, 10:39 PM

i've had good luck with crown and qsc...I spend a little more, get the headroom and just seems to run very clean.

Randy
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:34 AM

Smile Replacement Amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncall View Post
i've had good luck with crown and qsc...I spend a little more, get the headroom and just seems to run very clean.

Randy
I'd like to get a brand new QSC 1450, I really have no need for anything more powerful. I had my Mackie and Pyle Pro Amps for several years, till the Mackie's ouputs went south, got them them replaced, but again the same result a little over a year later. The Pylehas held out very well despite being a low cost option. Thanks for the tip.
System #1
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:38 AM

Replacement Amp call

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
I recomend the QSC line. Very quiet, dependable, great for the money.
I don't like the Behringer line. But some do.
muzicman
I was thinking aloud, I have a friend who owns the EP 2500 with fine results, I would prefer the QSC 1450, or even the 850, very expensive, but I suppose if you want long term reliabilty you can't go wrong with QSC.

Thanks
Vic
System #1
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old February 12th, 2008, 10:34 PM

just bought a QSC plx2 1804, i love it, light weight and nice and clean 900 watts at 4 ohms, i can push sub and tops with ease. And you don't break your back carrying in a 48 lb amp....
Old February 15th, 2008, 04:17 PM

Have had the same Crown K2 for about 10 years, no problem, knock on wood, for just an amp, I'd only by another Crown, can't complain about no problems and clean sound. Expensive, but you only get what you pay for. (It's like bar owners!)
TK
Old February 15th, 2008, 04:38 PM
VIP

If weight is an issue, they are little more expensive, but are solid, Crown XTi series. These only weigh in @ 18 pounds & they rock as opposed to most other amps that are 30-50 pounds!

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old February 15th, 2008, 04:56 PM

Smile For me weight is not an issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
If weight is an issue, they are little more expensive, but are solid, Crown XTi series. These only weigh in @ 18 pounds & they rock as opposed to most other amps that are 30-50 pounds!
Just looking for a possible replacement for my dead Mackie Amp.

Vic
System #1
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old February 15th, 2008, 04:59 PM
VIP

Then also consider the Carvin DCM series, I am nearly exclusive with these amps now in my own system after using Crown, QSC, Peavey equipment. For the money, they are very good amps! Can't give a link here, but you google Carvin & find their website.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old February 15th, 2008, 07:43 PM

ep 2500

I know this is probably a little late but I have an EP 2500 in one of my mobile DJ systems. It was as much power as I could afford at the time.

What I like about it:
I've been running it bridged into a pair of Peavey SP-5s for two years and it has never failed. The sound is pretty clean even for a Behringer (but this is their top of the line amp so its to be expected). The settings on the back are easy to understand if you know your gear. And the daisy chain capability simplifies monitor and/or subwoofer amp setup (for me anyway). The power is very good and drives my system pretty well.

What I don't like about it:
There is no clip warning, contrary to their advertisement when this thing clips (even a little -- so as not to destroy your speakers) it stops until it resets so watch your levels very closely until you're used to things. I use a compressor limiter in this system to get rid of transients and allow as much good signal as I can before clipping and it took a while to get it just right.
Long winded bass will feel empty. Kinda hard to describe but it just doesnt seen to have the oomph to produce bass for extended periods which isn't a major problem for me and my clientele.

All in all a very good amp for the price but if you can afford it there are other better amps in that power range. I've been given to understand that the EP 2500 is just a redesign of a QSC 2500 watt amp for a lower price. I don't know if that is true but I've looked at both and the setups are surprisingly similar. But I can tell you that the EP2500 does what it is supposed to do if you don't try to kill it and the price is pretty easy to swallow too.

Monolith Entertainment
Old February 15th, 2008, 07:55 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithent View Post
All in all a very good amp for the price but if you can afford it there are other better amps in that power range. I've been given to understand that the EP 2500 is just a redesign of a QSC 2500 watt amp for a lower price. I don't know if that is true but I've looked at both and the setups are surprisingly similar. But I can tell you that the EP2500 does what it is supposed to do if you don't try to kill it and the price is pretty easy to swallow too.
It is essentially the QSC RMX2450. Behringer is famous for taking designs from other manus & copying - sometimes down to the circuitry. They once had a recording board that was nearly idientical to the Mackie version they copied, so much so that some of the parts were actually interchangeable. Mackie won a lawsuit over copyright or patent designs - can't remember which, but Behringer had to quit selling & redesign that particular board.
The Ep2500 is an ok amp for the money - not my first choice & honestly would opt for something else even if it meant saving up a little bit more(Carvin DCM series, Crown or QSC) .

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old February 15th, 2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvic View Post

This is for my backup system which normally is my DJ system with A Gemini Dual CD unit, a Mackie DFX 12 mixer and two Yamaha 15" drivers with a Fender 12" floor monitor.
Hi ... I have used the behringer pmh 880s for about a year now and have
no problems.. On occasions I have added a small amp to bust on outdoor gigs but my normal gig is in a large open bar and have never ran out of amp.... best of luck...... MOE
Old February 15th, 2008, 09:16 PM

Agreed,

I use a Crown XTi 4000 in my personal system and it is hands down the best amp I have ever heard and will drive anything I hook it up to without noise or problems.

The Behringer stuff is the same that I hear from everyone. When I purchased that EP 2500 it was what I could afford at the time for that system and it was a necessity (fried a Peavey amp the night before and fired a DJ). Low cash and a show to do. And we all know the show must go on.

I don't knock Behringer's equipment cause they do manufacture some really good stuff and I have many of their components (and none has ever failed). My opinion is that they exist to keep the big boys honest. Mackie and Crown and Yamaha could probably charge a lot more for their products if they didn't have lower end guys eating into their market share.

Please understand that I agree with you that they are likely rip-offs or re-engineered or however anyone wants to put it. But, I think it helps us on the purchasing end a lot more than it's really hurting and it keeps the high-end advancing its technology to stay ahead.

Monolith Entertainment
Old February 15th, 2008, 09:25 PM

I have an EP 2500

I know this is probably a little late but I have an EP 2500 in one of my mobile DJ systems. It was as much power as I could afford at the time.

What I like about it:
I've been running it bridged into a pair of Peavey SP-5s for two years and it has never failed. The sound is pretty clean even for a Behringer (but this is their top of the line amp so its to be expected). The settings on the back are easy to understand if you know your gear. And the daisy chain capability simplifies monitor and/or subwoofer amp setup (for me anyway). The power is very good and drives my system pretty well.

What I don't like about it:
There is no clip warning, contrary to their advertisement when this thing clips (even a little -- so as not to destroy your speakers) it stops until it resets so watch your levels very closely until you're used to things. I use a compressor limiter in this system to get rid of transients and allow as much good signal as I can before clipping and it took a while to get it just right.
Long winded bass will feel empty. Kinda hard to describe but it just doesnt seen to have the oomph to produce bass for extended periods which isn't a major problem for me and my clientele.

This is also in the age demographics thread and there was a reply to it if you want to read it as well. My response to said reply is there as well.

Good luck and I hope you find what you need

Monolith Entertainment