MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: How many "UNIQUE" songs (not including duplicates) are currently in your songbooks?
Less than 3,000 6 10.34%
3,000 to 4,999 6 10.34%
5,000 to 6,999 5 8.62%
7,000 to 8,999 10 17.24%
9,000 to 11,999 16 27.59%
12,000 to 14,999 6 10.34%
more than 15,000 9 15.52%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 4th, 2007, 12:27 PM

I see no reason for personal insults.

I too have many singers who want only Sound Choice or Music Maestro music. One of them is a 'Boy Singer' for a big band and only sings certain versions of certain songs. He is absolutely great and I try to please him, since he is one of my most popular singers and people flock in to hear him. He wants the very best rendition he can find of the original, and listens to all of them before finally settling on a version he wants to sing from then on. I give him a few seconds of all my versions to listen to on headphones until he finds the best one for him. Then I keep a copy of his request, and also give him the song number and company to keep until the next time he sings.

Several singers have their own CDs and want that version only. Since I no longer use CDs or have any way to play them with my laptop, I try to have their version on my computer if they are regular customers. That means I buy a new CD that I don't really want quite often just to satisfy my customers. Then they request only that version once I have it.

I suppose some folks are just superior in their minds and want to show all of us how dumb the rest of us really are.
Old April 4th, 2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseshoe View Post
I see no reason for personal insults.

I too have many singers who want only Sound Choice or Music Maestro music. One of them is a 'Boy Singer' for a big band and only sings certain versions of certain songs. He is absolutely great and I try to please him, since he is one of my most popular singers and people flock in to hear him. He wants the very best rendition he can find of the original, and listens to all of them before finally settling on a version he wants to sing from then on. I give him a few seconds of all my versions to listen to on headphones until he finds the best one for him. Then I keep a copy of his request, and also give him the song number and company to keep until the next time he sings.

Several singers have their own CDs and want that version only. Since I no longer use CDs or have any way to play them with my laptop, I try to have their version on my computer if they are regular customers. That means I buy a new CD that I don't really want quite often just to satisfy my customers. Then they request only that version once I have it.

I suppose some folks are just superior in their minds and want to show all of us how dumb the rest of us really are.
How are you unable to play their CD's off your laptop? If you are running Hoster you can do that and it is very easy. Also once you have their one song in Hoster ready to go you can give them their CD back. Once the song is played and they sing it the song is deleted from your computer.

The way you do this is right next to the video box or right under help there is add track. There are many buttons there. KMA CDG AUDIO MP3G and VIDEO. Click on CDG, imput the track number, and type in the song name (just so you know what song it is when it comes up) Hit add track and it will look like it is importing it but it is not. It is only making a temp file and then once it is played it goes bye bye. You do need to import between songs and it only takes about 15 seconds. This way you do not have to go out and spend money on CDG's you do not need to please that one person.
Hopefully Hoster 3.316
AMD Athalon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3ghz
ASUS M2A-VM Motherboard
2 - 1GB DDR2 800mhz Corsair RAM
1 - 500 GB SATA Western Digital HD
1 - 160 GB external HD
ATI Radeon Sapphire X1650 Pro Video Card 512MB
Realtek HD Audio

www.downhomekaraoke.biz
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:11 PM
VIP

Quote:
I try to have their version on my computer if they are regular customers. That means I buy a new CD that I don't really want quite often just to satisfy my customers. Then they request only that version once I have it.
I do that as well for the regulars. And once in a while I put up a request sheet and guarantee to purchase any song available by request. It gets expensive but keeps
ppl coming back. I just gotta learn to charge more, I guess.

Old April 4th, 2007, 04:53 PM

Killith, I don't use Hoster in my business. I use every other product MTU makes, but have has such good luck and service with a competitive product that I haven't changed.

I may someday change to Hoster because I read all the forums about it and feel it is a great product. However, I drive only Fords because I have had such great service from them, while I haven't experienced that degree of liability from other brands. This is the way I feel about my hosting program. As long as they supply what I want and need, I will not throw them under the train.

As much as I love Microstudio, I almost didn't buy it this time. I posted several times last year about the inability to use it on my AMD64 dual core computer. If you search the forum you will find those posts. I was told I would get a free upgrade when it came out to make up for the fact I purchased it and it would not work on my system. When the new version came out I never received anything telling me I would get the upgrade at no charge, so I decided to bite the bullet and buy Microstudio 4.0 anyway. It works great and I am happy with it. However, when I ran into a problem with my 'other brand' hosting system, they called me on the phone to try to resolve my problem and when they had fixed the problem in a new version, they send me a free upgrade along with a nice thank you letter. Those things are hard to forget.

I know this is off topic and am sorry for it. It is not a flame at MTU in any way. However, since you tried to help me, I though I should be honest with you. By the way, I can play CDs, but my karaoke ladies are kind of hard to train and get frustrated with something new, so I don't let them know all the things we can do.
Old April 4th, 2007, 05:10 PM
VIP

Quote:
By the way, I can play CDs, but my karaoke ladies are kind of hard to train and get frustrated with something new, so I don't let them know all the things we can do.
Then they need to be trained better until they can do it! If my host can't do something, they don't work until they can.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old April 4th, 2007, 05:59 PM

You are totally missing my point.

They are trained well, and are the best in the area. However, I choose not to confuse them with stuff they don't need to learn.

I choose not to use CDs in my shows. I keep them at home and use a computer. I also choose to buy a CD whenever I don't have that version on my computer. I don't want to load it, then erase it every show. That to me is a very amateur way to run a show. The audience loves the extra care they get and the fact they don't have to carry a book full of CDs when they go out to sing. After the first night with us, they never bring their CDs again, unless they buy something new and want me to buy a copy for my show. I want to eliminate all that extra work and have them interact with the audience and put on a great show.

It sets us apart from our competition and we are told that nightly. Many thank us for doing it our way. They say they don't worry about getting their CDs scratched or damaged from beer being spilled on the table, etc. Almost to a person, they have a small karaoke system at home to practice with and feel special when they don't have to bring their music along with them.

I hope I have explained it will enough without sounding like an idiot, or being stuck up or something. Unless you do it my way, you will never get the satisfaction of seeing the smiles on their faces when I tell them that I now have their music and they don't have to bring it to me anymore to get their version of the songs they have been practicing for a week to sing.
Old April 4th, 2007, 07:09 PM
VIP

Amatuer way to run a show? Hmm, that may open up a can of worms.
I don't understand how you figure it's amatuer way to load up a customers disc - that takes no more time than loading & basically clicking the track while the current song is playing? It loads & Is put in the playlist, then you can hand the disc back to the customer without even a hiccup in the show - meaning not having to stop to load all the while having time to still mingle. Seems more amatuerish to me to NOT be able to play a customer disc on the fly. Some of the discs I have there is no way you could possibly find an original - & I know you don't just copy your customer discs as you stated you go out & purchase them the next day whether you like the version or not.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old April 4th, 2007, 08:59 PM

Well at least you got the little humorous jab I stuck in there. Anything to keep a thread interesting is fun, but don't take me too seriously. I poke fun at myself when I say 'I'm not an amateur'.

If you like playing CDs, I have no problem with that at all. Everybody else does in my area, but little things set us apart from our competition. You would never believe the compliments I get because I do things differently. Of course there is the occasional "what do you mean, you can't play my CD, everybody else does"? Then I get the chance to show why we are different and why we make the big bucks. I'm sure you have plenty of things you do that others don't do also.

My little humor line was taking a small swipe at you, just as you insinuated my girls weren't trained properly since they don't do the things you might think they should do. If we were all clones, it sure would be a boring world.
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:16 PM
VIP

That's fine, but I was just responding to your initial statement stating your girls get frustrated at something new.
As a boss, this is something that I would think they would need to know & be able to do - to make them that much better. If I got frustrated in another job, I know for fact my boss wouldn't say - well you don't have to do or know that part well.
As a boss myself, every one of my hosts are going to know how to do every function without any frustration.
As far as pulling discs, that don't bother me one bit, I am still playing discs at this point in time, however I am about 1 week away from moving my computer in finally. Finishing up my last 150 discs by this Friday (makes it so much easier with 2 computers ripping at the same time). But I will still gladly play anybodys disc that they bring in. I don't have the funds to go out & buy every disc that everybody may own, kudos to you that you can. I find it hard enough to be able to get new material.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old April 4th, 2007, 09:33 PM

I agree with you Lonman. Hosts to be good hosts should know every little thing there is about the system they run. If someone came up to me with a disc and I said I could not play it I would think they would go to some place that they could.

I play all my music off computer as well. I am no different from you. If someone DOES bring in their own disc and I do not have that version of the song I will load it for them. I however will not keep it since I never bought it so that is why it gets deleted right after it is played. Thats one function I love about Hoster is that they have that function. You should want to please your guests and singers on all aspects. Not being able to play their discs means you are not giving them all the abilities that you DO have and then in turn lying to them and saying you can not do something you can do. Yeah we know they do not know the difference but if you are able to give the service... you should and all your KJ's should also know how to do it as well. Like I said before it is as easy as clicking one buttion on Hoster and boom their disc is ready to go. It is far from rocket science and Hoster made that wonderful.

I am not saying you should not ditch your other hosting program... but is it really that hard to load a disc in it... or is it the case that you need to load the disc to hard drive and it does not delete itself and you do not want to take that extra time to delete that file you did not pay for? I am guessing I do not understand why you do not offer a service you can perform for your singers.
Hopefully Hoster 3.316
AMD Athalon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3ghz
ASUS M2A-VM Motherboard
2 - 1GB DDR2 800mhz Corsair RAM
1 - 500 GB SATA Western Digital HD
1 - 160 GB external HD
ATI Radeon Sapphire X1650 Pro Video Card 512MB
Realtek HD Audio

www.downhomekaraoke.biz
Old April 5th, 2007, 09:26 AM

Lets just agree to disagree. I have done it your way, and I have done it my way. One system I use is completely discs. The other two are completely computers. Invariably, when I play discs in a club we work at, my customers tell me how old fashioned that system is and that I should change it to the computer type. There, I play every disc they bring in.

I don't have to buy many discs that I don't already have, but it does two things. One, it gives me music that my customer wants me to have. And two, it shows them that I care very much for their business. I have yet to find one person who is dissatisfied with my approach after I get the chance to explain my system to them. Instead, they have become great customers and friends.

I also eliminate the problem with scratched and damaged discs. If their disc shows graffiti all over the screen they blame me or my equipment. I much prefer new discs that have just been loaded on my hard drive. I suppose I am a little different because I don't do this for a living. It is simply a hobby I love, and I only try to break even at best. Some folks restore old cars, buy boats, or go on vacations. I prefer to make folks happy with music. My ladies put on a great song and dance show along with the karaoke, so they are much more than just KJs.

As I said earlier, I don't use Hoster. I am sure it is a great program, but the one I use does everything I could ever want it to do, and more. If I ever get a new hosting system, Hoster will probably be the one I choose. Until then, I will use the one I am currently using, since I find it very easy to use and faster and more loaded with features than I need it to be.

By the way, I can play CDs if I wish, but I prefer not to. My ladies like it much better when they are rotated to the computer systems also.

This will be my final post on this subject. I appreciate your wisdom, but it takes all kinds to make a show. I won't knock your approach since it works for you, but have an open mind about my way also. Remember, I have and sometimes still do it your way. However, I find I like it better without the discs in my shows.
Old April 5th, 2007, 02:27 PM
VIP

You run 3 systems as a hobby? You do have 3 complete sets of original discs for each system.
Sorry of course you do.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old April 5th, 2007, 06:17 PM

Yes and I have four sets of some of them. Would you like to buy some? (just kidding)

Actually, I only buy one Cd in most cases because it only goes on the one computer I am using in a given venue. I have gotten the fear of God from some of the posts here, so I try to keep them segregated to the best of my ability.
Old April 13th, 2007, 11:31 AM
VIP

Alright? Somebody finally entered the last category...
12,000 - 14,999 . Who's the lucky winner?

Old August 29th, 2007, 08:08 PM

Sava

I finaly bought the sava set be cause I got tired of loading them from 10 or 12 singers that bring them every night even though I have better versions in my opinion of almost every song.
1tb x2 hd
Plextor 716A
nvidea 9500Gt Graphics Card
Show Coputer

Backup Computer
Windows XP
1.86 Duo core Dell
160 gig Hd
320 gig Hd
2 gig ram
nvidea 8600 Graphics Card

320 gig external backup drive.
BACKUP is #1 Priority!!!!
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:21 PM
VIP

Yeah, I know what you mean, I actually do that a lot, as a result my collection builds up and so do the followers.
The plan will work for you as well.