MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old July 2nd, 2017, 10:39 PM

Changing the Font Size on Song List

Just upgraded to the new version of MicroStudio 4.40 and the font size on the song list are much bigger then the last version on my laptop. How can I change the font size to make it smaller so I have more songs at any time on the list?

I might also add that there are problems with loading the songs when I access the program. Not all the song are listed every time and in some cases the blue circle keep turning and the program becomes \"not working\", and has to be shut down. Not sure why, the last version work fine.

Thanks,
Wes

Acer 11.6 inch Aspire V-5 Laptop with Win 7 Home Intel Celeron 1007U Processor 1.50Ghz 4GB ram

Acer 15.6 inch Aspire E1-531 Laptop with Win Home 10 64, Intel B960 Processor 2.2Ghz 4GB ram.
Old July 3rd, 2017, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Changing the Font Size on Song List

Tools/Customize Display/Set Font.

If you have songs missing press the refresh button. Then be patient while it rescans the folders. This can take some time, trying to make other changes while this is scanning can cause lock ups.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old July 3rd, 2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Dennis View Post
Tools/Customize Display/Set Font.

If you have songs missing press the refresh button. Then be patient while it rescans the folders. This can take some time, trying to make other changes while this is scanning can cause lock ups.
Roy,

Thanks, I felt stupid not knowing how to change the font., but now I can.

I still have the loading problems even after the refresh. Here is what I end up with after the hang up and following the instructions about the three options which end up shutting the program:

Description:
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: MicroStudio.exe
Application Version: 4.40.0.0
Application Timestamp: 5910b165
Hang Signature: af89
Hang Type: 0
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Hang Signature 1: af897280bcf942675e661b8cd9c19d15
Additional Hang Signature 2: d539
Additional Hang Signature 3: d5396f7c4a6000cb5a16f621136f50b7
Additional Hang Signature 4: af89
Additional Hang Signature 5: af897280bcf942675e661b8cd9c19d15
Additional Hang Signature 6: d539
Additional Hang Signature 7: d5396f7c4a6000cb5a16f621136f50b7

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\\Windows\\system32\\en-US\\erofflps.txt

Thanks for your help,
Wes

Acer 11.6 inch Aspire V-5 Laptop with Win 7 Home Intel Celeron 1007U Processor 1.50Ghz 4GB ram

Acer 15.6 inch Aspire E1-531 Laptop with Win Home 10 64, Intel B960 Processor 2.2Ghz 4GB ram.
Old July 3rd, 2017, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrahn View Post
Roy,

Here is what I end up with after the hang up and following the instructions about the three options which end up shutting the program:
s
Which three options are you referring too and what instructions ?

All I can think of you may have some problem files.

When you click the folders button does it show just one path or many ?

If its just one path with the Root folder selected and the subs tick box ticked then try removing that path and select individual folders and see if you find a particular folder that causes the hang.
If any selected folder causes the Hang then perhaps support will have to look at it but they are not available till after 6th July.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old July 7th, 2017, 10:42 AM

Roy,

I think I found what my problem was. I used to have my songs at this location in these folders:

C:/programdata/mtu/hoster/Karaoke files
C:/programdata/mtu/hoster/Audio
C:/programdata/mtu/hoster/CD+g

It took too long when doing a backup, so based on advice, I moved them to this location here:

C:/MTU/Karaoke Files
C:/MTU/Karaoke Audio
C:/MTU/Karaoke CD+g

I also added these folders at the same location as I added more songs, so I didn\\\\\\\'t have to copy the entire list into my BACKUP when I did an update:

C:/MTU/ All Star Karaoke
C:/MTU/All Star Karaoke2
C:/MTU/80’s Hits,
C:/MTU/Karaoke-Version.

I looked at my folders to see if there was a possible problem when loading into Microstudio. When I opened the CD+g Folder I saw a bunch of other folders for the CD+g songs that were added. I opened one of the individual song folders, and within that folder the main folder, CD+g was replicated. So, I removed that version of CD+g and noticed an improvement to opening MicroStudio.

I also noticed, when I open the MicroStudio playlist, that I was missing some of the songs that were in my songbook for Hoster. When I looked at the MTU folders, the songs were still where the had been, but they would not open onto my playlist. So, I started to delve into the complicated process of cleaning up my database, without the benefit of any understanding or advice from you or others. I think I might have messed up my Hoster database on my MASTER laptop.

Fortunatly, since I always copy my songs and programdata - mtu - Hoster information onto my backup computer, my BACKUP computer will still open the missing songs into the playlist

So, I have the situation where the songs on my MASTER are the same as what is on my BACKUP, but MASTER can\\\\\\\'t load some of them onto the playlist, but the BACKUP computer works fine.

I figured out how to look at the song.mdb folders for both computers and they are slightly different, and the problem is the MASTER database is missing the songs that will not load into the playlist.

So, how do I only replace the MASTER database with the BACKUP computer database which seems to be correct, but still keep the other infomation that is unique to the MASTER computer, such as the latest playlists and singer information?

Also, is there a layman\\\\\\\'s guide to the relationship of the saved songs, the database, and how to load new songs and what happens when we edit songs.

What I have gathered, and you might correct my thinking, is the songs are loaded into the computer and saved on the hard drive in folders in the MTU folder. When they are being loaded, the information is also loaded into the songs.mdb located at ProgramData - mtu-Hoster and when you edit a songs the changes are made to the songs.mdb. If the songs at MTU are moved to a different location, they will not be recognized until the database information is changed, which is not an easy thing to do.

Roy, based on messing into Hoster when I really didn\\\\\\\'t know or understand what I was doing, but I still have learned more than I knew, but that\\\\\\\'s not a smart way to learn.

Thanks again for all your help and the videos you have on YouTube,

Wes

Last edited by Wrahn; July 7th, 2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old July 7th, 2017, 01:51 PM

Roy,

Maybe I should have indicated that this was more about Hoster than MicroStudio. But, I stated the thread with a MicroStudio problem, so this is where I posted. As far as I can tell, my problem with MicroStudio has been solved and it was caused by user error.

Also, I should add that the Hoster Manual has a Quick Start option that is close to a Layman Guide. It would be better, if there were a Hoster Guide for the Complete Idiot. I could sure use it.

Thanks again for always helping,

Wes

Old July 7th, 2017, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Roy,
I also noticed, when I open the MicroStudio playlist, that I was missing some of the songs that were in my songbook for Hoster. When I looked at the MTU folders, the songs were still where the had been, but they would not open onto my playlist. So, I started to delve into the complicated process of cleaning up my database, without the benefit of any understanding or advice from you or others. I think I might have messed up my Hoster database on my MASTER laptop.

Fortunatly, since I always copy my songs and programdata - mtu - Hoster information onto my backup computer, my BACKUP computer will still open the missing songs into the playlist

So, I have the situation where the songs on my MASTER are the same as what is on my BACKUP, but MASTER can\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t load some of them onto the playlist, but the BACKUP computer works fine.

I figured out how to look at the song.mdb folders for both computers and they are slightly different, and the problem is the MASTER database is missing the songs that will not load into the playlist.

So, how do I only replace the MASTER database with the BACKUP computer database which seems to be correct, but still keep the other infomation that is unique to the MASTER computer, such as the latest playlists and singer information?
If you open the Backup computer Hoster folder (C:/programdata/mtu/hoster) Find the songs.mdb, copy that and paste it over the one on your Master that will only change that not the singers info, that is held seperate in the singers.mdb.
Providing the file paths to the missing files are the same on both computers and both have an accompaning kmh header files that should work.
Or just to be safe rename the Master songs.mdb to something like songsBKUP.mbd prior to pasting the other one over it. That will allow you to reverse the change should something go amiss.
Quote:
Also, is there a laymans guide to the relationship of the saved songs, the database, and how to load new songs and what happens when we edit songs.
What I have gathered, and you might correct my thinking, is the songs are loaded into the computer and saved on the hard drive in folders in the MTU folder. When they are being loaded, the information is also loaded into the songs.mdb located at ProgramData - mtu-Hoster and when you edit a songs the changes are made to the songs.mdb. If the songs at MTU are moved to a different location, they will not be recognized until the database information is changed, which is not an easy thing to do.
Wes
The files can be loaded on to the computer or an external usb hard drive in any folder of your choosing.
When you import songs you set the path when you brows to the folder containing the new songs (in your case its C:/MTU/Karaoke Files).

When that file is imported Hoster creates a small header file, the kmh file in that same folder as the original file, you can move files to different folders but that kmh file must follow it. The kmh header file carries all the database info for that file. When you edit a song in Hosters edit dialog it edits the info in that file. Now if you rebuild the database Hoster looks for the kmh header and reads it into its Access database (song.mdb)

Now dont try to open the songs.mdb in Microsoft access and think you can edit them there as that wont write the new data back to the kmh header, it might tempory edit the names but if you ever rebuild the database any edits you made that way will be lost.

Also once you have imported a song you cant change the original file name of the mp3 or zip file. So if you wanted to follow a particular nameing convention best to edit the file name prior to importing. once imported all editing should be done in Hosters edit dialog which then updates the kmh header.

Microstudio on the other hand does not read the kmh headers, it gets its data direct from the original file, probably why it takes longer to load but can also be reason why files might show up in that and not Hoster example if a file has its kmh header missing. When you scan a folder in Microstudio it just creates a text file which it then runs through to compile the list, if you add new files after that scan they wont show in microstudio untill yo rescan the folder.

Now when you rebuild a Hoster database it looks down the list of file paths in the rebuild database dialog the reads all the kmh headers in that list. Now if you move a folder you should look down that list and remove the old path if its still there and add the new path so that Hoster knows where they are.

When you add a folder that contains kmh files it will auto add them to the database but make sure you removed the old path first or you might get duplicated bookids that will then not show up as it will send them to a quarantine folder.

Now regarding your original problem of files missing on you master, what you could try instead of copying songs.mdb is to look down the list of folders in the rebuld list and see if the file path is there, highlight it and see if the missing songs show in the right hand panel. If they do press the rescan button and see if it builds them into the database that way.

If not it could be something to do with duplcated Disc Ids. Check the kmh headers are there or if they have been moved to quarantine folder.

Last thing regarding importing new songs.
I have my own way but its not compolsery, If I purchase a new download other than Karaoke.net as they auto index themselves. for that night I just play them via the K-Oke button. When home i always rename the file to a standard naming convention but edit out the downloaded ref and add my own.

Example Downloaded as: ZM07256 - Ed Sheeran - Castle On The Hill.zip renamed to Sheeran, Ed - Castle On The Hill - VAR583-45.zip

My Define field order is Artist - Title - Disc ID-Track
It imports by auto setting the disc id to VAR583, I always note my last track # and increment it by one for each new track, I know it will import 99 tracks with that Disc Id so when that is full I will change to VAR584. The VAR I reconise as varable manufacturers so after importing I can go into Hoster Edit and correct the manufactuers name.

I always import them via the import Song Files dialog in single option. I never use the Scann Now option shown in the import songs dialog but thats just me doing what Im used to, Im sure it would work the same.

Well I think thats enough for you to digest now so I will leave it at that.

Last edited by Roy Dennis; July 7th, 2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old July 11th, 2017, 05:13 PM

My problem with MicroStudio has been fixed. It was the result of user error. I had the folder, Karaoke CD+g, copied into itself as a sub folder and I’m sure it confused the program. That folder was removed, and the MicroStudio problem was solved.

However, in solving the problem I accessed areas I has not knowledgeable about and messed up the Hoster program. So after much work and some guidance, what I now have is a Hoster that works, but some of the IDs are changed from what I have in my printed songbook.

All my problems, after solving the CD+g error, could have been solved without a lot of errors if I had only followed the advice of Roy and others: to always click BACKUP so you have a RESTORE option when you try to fix what you break.

One of the things I think caused me problems, was trying to replace songs that were now missing by using the database repair and messing with the duplication of songs titles.

My current Karaoke files are in these folders on my hard drive:
These were the first ones I installed
C:/MTU/Karaoke Files
C:/MTU/Karaoke Audio
C:/MTU/Karaoke CD+g

And when I stated adding more songs I added the folders indicated below so I could transfer them to my backup laptop without downloading into MTU/Karaoke Files and then having to copy the entire files to the backup. I also created an ADDED SONGS part to my printed songbook to list the added songs from the new folders , so my printed book was current.
C:/MTU/ All Star Karaoke
C:/MTU/All Star Karaoke2
C:/MTU/80’s Hits,
C:/MTU/Karaoke-Version

NOW THE QUESTION:
Since my current songs.mdb is now fine, but my printed songbook is not correct, should I just re-print the songbook using the entire songs, and merge all the karaoke songs into the folder MTU/Karaoke Files and get rid of the newer folders and my ADDED songbook pages? The songbook only has 54 pages using 12 point font, so it\'s not that big of a deal. The merge is more difficult a task for me.

Next, how do I do it without changing the songs.mdb? Also, where do I download new songs into my main laptop and then into my back up laptop, do I make another folder ? I know how to establish a new ADDED songs page for my songbook, when I download new songs, so that won’t be a problem.

Thanks again to dependable Roy and others for helping me and others when we don’t know what we are doing. Remember what they say, BACKUP/RESTORE, it will save you hours of work.

Wes

Old July 12th, 2017, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
My problem with MicroStudio has been fixed. It was the result of user error.
NOW THE QUESTION:
Since my current songs.mdb is now fine, but my printed songbook is not correct, should I just re-print the songbook using the entire songs, and merge all the karaoke songs into the folder MTU/Karaoke Files and get rid of the newer folders and my ADDED songbook pages? The songbook only has 54 pages using 12 point font, so it\\\\\\\'s not that big of a deal. The merge is more difficult a task for me.
Seeing as it is only 54 pages I would just reprint it. I see no need to merge any folders if you are happy now that the songs.mdb is fine.
Once you have printed an entire songbook you can press the (Zero new release button) then when you want to just add new pages for songs since the full book creation select that radio button to just print those.
Quote:
[b]
Next, how do I do it without changing the songs.mdb? Also, where do I download new songs into my main laptop and then into my back up laptop, do I make another folder ? I know how to establish a new ADDED songs page for my songbook, when I download new songs, so that won’t be a problem.

Thanks again to dependable Roy and others for helping me and others when we don’t know what we are doing. Remember what they say, BACKUP/RESTORE, it will save you hours of work.

Wes
The way I do it: I download the songs into an existing folder that I already have indexed, import them via the import songs dialog as we have already discussed.

Now that they are imported into the database I copy just the newly imported files from the folder to the same folder of the backup.
To make these easier to sort through and find just the new imports in the folder I use the (sort by) option. If you open the folder so that you can see all the files in the folder, right click on a blank area in the folder you should get a fly out list of options, one of which is Sort by, selecting that exspands to another window with more options, at the bottom of that window you should see More selecting that brings up a list with options you want to have appear in the actual sort options list, tick the box for (Date Aquired). Now when your in the open folder of your files right click again choose sort by then Date acquired.
It should then list all the newly imported files together depending whether you had the other option set to ascending or decending they will either be listed first or last making it easy to select just the newest files, make sure your seeing both the original music files and the KMH header file.

Once they are in the folder of the Backup computer open the Tools/Songs Database/Build Database, now look down the list of folders bottom left and select the folder path you just copied to then press the Rescan Button. It will now scan just that folder and add the new kmh files to the existing database, you should see a message when finished added xx new files.

As I say that is how I do it difference with mine is the backup uses an external usb drive to store the music on which makes it easier to copy files from original.
My main computer drive is partitioned as C & E so my music files are on the E partition and my usb when connected to the backup is listed as E drive.
This would make no difference to the above instructions for copying to your backup, Do you do it via a network link or other ?
Old July 13th, 2017, 04:32 PM

Roy,

Thanks again for your advice. I will re-print my songbook rather than mess things up doing something studid.

I tried the sort by and it does not seem to work for me. However, if I download any songs, it is few and far between, so sorting should ot be a problem for me.

Based on your written guidance, you must import most of your songs as KMH rather than KMA. Most of my files were imported as KMA from CDGs and just a few as KMH from the internet by MP3+g. Of course, as a non pro I do not worry about hard drive space like you might.

Once again, thanks for your help. On another computer, I have downloaded a DEMO copy of Hoster and use it to learn on so I do not mess up my other computer. Some of the DEMO program features do not work as the regular Hoster does, however, with the manual and DEMO I can read and experiment with Hoster without messing up my regular Hoster.

Thanks again,
Wes

Last edited by Wrahn; July 13th, 2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old July 13th, 2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Roy,

Based on your written guidance, you must import most of your songs as KMH rather than KMA. Most of my files were imported as KMA from CDGs and just a few as KMH from the internet by MP3+g. Of course, as a non pro I do not worry about hard drive space like you might.

Thanks again,
Wes
All of my songs are KMA and I still import them that way. I have never had a problem with them.

If it ain\\\'t broke, it don\\\'t need fixing...