MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old February 14th, 2010, 05:40 PM

How Is Your Show Unique

How is your show uniquly different from the rest? Not idea's for a better show necessarily, or that magical disc that draws them in, everyone has those. But what makes yours the show to sing at? Do you have a "Signature" sound or format, and what is it? A certain way you call folks up? the sound of your gear? a favorite saying you are known for? Share with us your success secrets.
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Honor Roll

I don't think it's any great secret, but I attribute my success to consistently being fair and transparent. What I mean by that is, I keep a 4'x4' dry erase board for people to sign up. No one sings that hasn't signed up, and the order is strictly adhered to. New singers sign up at the end of list. After the last singer, I start back at the top.

I know lots of other DJs have convoluted ideas of what they think is fair, and I am sure they have the best of intentions. It may even be more fair than my particular system. But if it is not immediately obvious to a brand new customer just walking in off the street, it can appear to be unfair. This is the edge that I think my system has. Everyone can see exactly how the list progresses, and that there are no "favorites".

I learned long ago that it is not enough to be honest and uphold your integrity. You have to be completely transparent to alleviate any HINT of impropriety. People will respect that, and return because of that.
Old February 15th, 2010, 12:22 PM

That is just a fantastic idea, never thought of that. I learn something new everyday. Thank you so very much for that bit of insight. After they sign the board, do they then hand you a song request form, or do they also write that on the board? yes this seems to disperse any confusion as to who is actually next, and when a person sings in the rotation. Thank You.
Old February 15th, 2010, 04:55 PM
VIP

I guess it would be the sound of our shows and the equipment I use - much of it (processing) is the same equipment I use when I run live sound for bands. Approx 3800 watts main power, a couple effects processors giving me access to 4 different effects simultaneously for vocals, tri-amped mains (sub and 2 way cabs), bi-amped monitors, dynamics processors for vocals & main outputs.
It can get pretty loud so it feels more like a live show and we get alot of good singers so it feels more like a show to those just watching/listening.
I am not an outrageous host or try to be the show, just try to keep it all fair for everyone - I leave the entertaining aspect to the singers, I will not even sing if I have more than 4 singers.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old February 15th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman51 View Post
That is just a fantastic idea, never thought of that. I learn something new everyday. Thank you so very much for that bit of insight. After they sign the board, do they then hand you a song request form, or do they also write that on the board? yes this seems to disperse any confusion as to who is actually next, and when a person sings in the rotation. Thank You.
Since it is just dry erase, I just have them put the song # next to their name. Any time before their next turn, they can put another # up. They can also just come up and tell me what they want to sing. I just enter it, select it, hit skip, then move it above the current playing selection. Then when I get back to their name, I just slide it down to their turn, and un-skip. I ususally have at least the 1/2 hour, and sometimes the next hour already entered and ready to go.

The only problem with this system is the end of the list. When it is time to go back to the top, I have to make a judgment call. Do I cut off new singers and go back to the top, or let it go till I actually get to the end. I usually make an announcment that if you are here, and want to sing, get signed up by the end of this song. Then, I write "BACK TO THE TOP" on the board i2 spaces high. If anyone signs up after that, they have to wait till we come back around.
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:31 AM

Thanks for everyones ideas and input, much appreciated....