MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old October 20th, 2009, 02:04 PM

Suggest Moderate Priced Audio Mixer

Hi there,

I am currently hosting karaoke at a club where they are providing the sound system and I am just bringing in my laptop and running hoster through their mixer. Only problem is the mixer they have has no audio affects for the mics. I am really just looking for reverb, echo, that kind of thing. Can you reccommend a mixer that is not cost prohibitive.
Old October 20th, 2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trelynda View Post
Hi there,

I am currently hosting karaoke at a club where they are providing the sound system and I am just bringing in my laptop and running hoster through their mixer. Only problem is the mixer they have has no audio affects for the mics. I am really just looking for reverb, echo, that kind of thing. Can you reccommend a mixer that is not cost prohibitive.
you can get a Mackie board, you can get one for $199. and this has all the effects you needed ( reverb,( long, short )delays, flange, chorus, cathedral, small room etc. go to www.mackie.com and you can choose..
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:35 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
you can get a Mackie board, you can get one for $199. and this has all the effects you needed ( reverb,( long, short )delays, flange, chorus, cathedral, small room etc. go to www.mackie.com and you can choose..
Billy,
I ordered a Mackie USB board (can't remember model no.) a while back. It has been on backorder for over a year. Wondering if you know anything about that?

Old October 20th, 2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
Billy,
I ordered a Mackie USB board (can't remember model no.) a while back. It has been on backorder for over a year. Wondering if you know anything about that?

it's kinda odd to have it in back order for almost a year, are you sure they ( wherever you ordered it from ) put the order in ? theres only 2 mackie boards with usb, profx8 & profx12, they're the same except one has more channels,and in my opinion they are the newer version of dfx 6& 12, except for the usb ,i don't know much about them, since i have never use one, the only thing i know was you can plug in your laptop, directly to the usb instead of using the headphone jack on your laptop , almost the same as the hercules mk2.
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trelynda View Post
Hi there,

If you don't won't to spend much money, i would suggest just find you an effects unit to use with the house mixer. Save you a ton of money.
muzicman144
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
If you don't won't to spend much money, i would suggest just find you an effects unit to use with the house mixer. Save you a ton of money.
muzicman144

that's a good suggestion, but why would you get a separate efx, if you can get a mixing board with a built in efx, for the same price, a good brand name efx will set you the same price,as a mixing board, my board has a built in efx and eq's ,for the price of one..this is just my opinion
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Billy,
Bryant I would cancel that order and look somewhere else for it.
Old October 21st, 2009, 02:22 AM

Quote:
that's a good suggestion, but why would you get a separate efx, if you can get a mixing board with a built in efx, for the same price, a good brand name efx will set you the same price,as a mixing board, my board has a built in efx and eq's ,for the price of one..this is just my opinion
I agree with you entirely, but one can shop and get a good used unit for half price or under $100.00. But, as i understood her, she wanted to get a reverb unit at a savings. IMHO, if i were her, that's what i would do, but, if i thought i might want to do a few shows at another venue at some point in the future, i would go your route and look at a mixer w/effects that i could build on to eventually get a good sound system, if not, i would shop ebay, pawn shops and ask on the mtu forum, or other forums for a good buy.
So many ways to go. No arguement here either way
muzicman144
Old October 21st, 2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Can you reccommend a mixer that is not cost prohibitive.
Powered or unpowered? how many channels do you need? are you using any other outboard effects? exactly what price range did you have in mind?
Old October 21st, 2009, 06:22 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
Bryant I would cancel that order and look somewhere else for it.
Why do you say that Dale?

Old October 21st, 2009, 06:26 PM
VIP

Quote:
it's kinda odd to have it in back order for almost a year, are you sure they ( wherever you ordered it from ) put the order in ? theres only 2 mackie boards with usb, profx8 & profx12, they're the same except one has more channels,and in my opinion they are the newer version of dfx 6& 12, except for the usb ,i don't know much about them, since i have never use one, the only thing i know was you can plug in your laptop, directly to the usb instead of using the headphone jack on your laptop , almost the same as the hercules mk2.
The order was thru ZZsounds, the product, as of last year, was not on the market yet. I have emailed ZZsounds and they responded with "manufacturers give us an estimated shipment date, but, for some reason, cannot always stick to it. On the ZZsounds site, the new shipment date was moved to Dec. 13, 2009. I think that was the 4th time they rescheduled on me.

Old October 21st, 2009, 06:29 PM
VIP

Quote:
I ordered the profx12. My question now is "Do you know of any out there, do they exist, or are they still in development/engineering and not actually manufactured yet?".

Old October 21st, 2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I ordered the profx12. My question now is "Do you know of any out there, do they exist, or are they still in development/engineering and not actually manufactured yet?".
Yamaha and Allen & Heath carries them, i almost bought the Yamaha, till i found out that it won't work with my laptops, since i have an xp with windows media center
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
The order was thru ZZsounds, the product, as of last year, was not on the market yet. I have emailed ZZsounds and they responded with "manufacturers give us an estimated shipment date, but, for some reason, cannot always stick to it. On the ZZsounds site, the new shipment date was moved to Dec. 13, 2009. I think that was the 4th time they rescheduled on me.
if you go to mackie site, they've had those for almost or over a year now, if i were you, i'll cancell my order, and order it directly from mackie, and explain it to them that you've ordered one from ZZound for almost a year now.
Old October 21st, 2009, 08:59 PM

Bryant..go to www.pssl.com, ( Prosound Stage and Lighting ) they have your board, profx8 for $229.99/ profx12 for $279.99
Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:52 AM
VIP

Quote:
Bryant..go to www.pssl.com, ( Prosound Stage and Lighting ) they have your board, profx8 for $229.99/ profx12 for $279.99
Been there as well as other sites..they all say availablity, Dec. 16, 2009.
The situation is that the availablity date keeps moving up.

Same with the proFX8?/

Any more clues anyone?

Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Been there as well as other sites..they all say availablity, Dec. 16, 2009.
The situation is that the availablity date keeps moving up.

Same with the proFX8?/

Any more clues anyone?
i think you're right i've called around in my area and they couldn't tell me the availability date..Yamaha makes those boards with usb, Guitar Center have them in stock, i almost bought one a while back..
Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:54 PM

Smile Studiomaster

Hi not sure if this is of any help but I use a studiomaster fusion mixer got all the built in effects and has been proven as an excellent karaoke mixer with video output capability and three mic inputs and a further 10 channels for inputs hope this helps
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrowolski View Post
Hi not sure if this is of any help but I use a studiomaster fusion mixer got all the built in effects and has been proven as an excellent karaoke mixer with video output capability and three mic inputs and a further 10 channels for inputs hope this helps

that's a good dj board, that's the DSP mixer with fusion effects model, xlr-1/4 combination 3 mic channels, mostly used in England, the thing with that was you don't have a lot of choices when it comes to efx..and 1 main fader, i think it's mostly reverbs and delay, , i've seen it once, a dj from Miami was using it
Old October 23rd, 2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Mackie has had manufacturing problems in China. No new products until this situation is fixed. They are supposed to be up and available this month according to all the retailers I have spoke to.

On a side note, the Peavey 10 USB is a nice board with the best effects I have heard from a relatively inexpensive unpowered mixer. About 250.00 US$.